Uniform fashion sense

The Next Generation

What was your favorite uniform style?

Enterprise jumpsuits?
4%
TOS colored tunics and pants (or mini skirts!!)?
4%
ST:TMP grey "pajama" styles?
No votes
ST II-VI classic wraparound tunics style?
61%
Early TNG jumpsuits (or mini skirts for men?!)?
4%
Standard TNG and Voyager colored tunics and slacks?
No votes
Early DS9 reverse colored tunics and slacks?
No votes
Late DS9 and TNG movie style colored tunics w\grey jacket and slacks?
29%

Total votes: 28
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Uniform fashion sense

Post by Captain Seafort »

Combat kit should certainly, but the main purpose of naval uniforms is to make the wearer look smart, and thereby to foster a sense of pride and esprit de corps. Note that when combat kit was required, they changed into the warmer duffel-type jackets from ST II, or far more utilitarian trousers and pullover in ST V.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Without doubt the ST II-ST IV uniform get my favourite. I would accept the FC-NEM uniform as a compromise though
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They are to bulky and cumbersome in my opinion, uniforms should never restrict movement
They don't restrict movement. Not as far as we've seen.
And while they may take longer to get dressed in than other era's uniforms, I'd hardly call them bulky or cumbersome.
and should always provide some sort of benifit (camo, carrying stuff, protection) something these uniforms had nothing of.
Why would a naval officer, whose roll is to stand on a starship far from the enemy, need camo or body armour?
As for carrying stuff, they probably had pockets.

The purpose of naval uniforms, as Seafort point out, is to look snappy. ST2 era uniforms acomplished that nicely.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They had a sense of pride about them. But I hated the casual look when they opened that front flap.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Rochey wrote:
They are to bulky and cumbersome in my opinion, uniforms should never restrict movement
They don't restrict movement. Not as far as we've seen.
And while they may take longer to get dressed in than other era's uniforms, I'd hardly call them bulky or cumbersome.
and should always provide some sort of benifit (camo, carrying stuff, protection) something these uniforms had nothing of.
Why would a naval officer, whose roll is to stand on a starship far from the enemy, need camo or body armour?
As for carrying stuff, they probably had pockets.

The purpose of naval uniforms, as Seafort point out, is to look snappy. ST2 era uniforms acomplished that nicely.
Not restrict movement? With those belts acorss them and thick coat it would restrict movement. Not a huge amount but its not something you could run around in easily.

And why not have a funtioning uniform over one that just looks good? Let it serve a purpose, you can also make it look good while being practicle. They have dress uniforms for when they need to look tidy.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Not restrict movement? With those belts acorss them and thick coat it would restrict movement. Not a huge amount but its not something you could run around in easily.

And why not have a funtioning uniform over one that just looks good? Let it serve a purpose, you can also make it look good while being practicle. They have dress uniforms for when they need to look tidy.
To look good is the primary function of the uniform - they're naval officers, not soldiers.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...they're naval officers, not soldiers.
That would explain their awful battle tactics. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Not restrict movement? With those belts acorss them and thick coat it would restrict movement. Not a huge amount but its not something you could run around in easily.

To look good is the primary function of the uniform - they're naval officers, not soldiers.
Cant they have a dress uniform to look good and a normal uniform to work in?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not restrict movement? With those belts acorss them and thick coat it would restrict movement. Not a huge amount but its not something you could run around in easily.
And why does a naval officer need to run around? Their job is to stay on the bridge and direct operations from there. Running is not required.
What's the point? The current uniform allows them to work fine, while still looking nice.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why do they need to look nice? Or more to the point why cant they look nice in uniforms that dont restrict movement.

And they didnt just stay on the bridge, they wore these uniforms everywhere, including away mission that may require a high degree of mobility.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:...why cant they look nice in uniforms that dont restrict movement...
Yeah, I can't stand tight pants for that exact reason. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The whole point is there SHOULD have been two uniforms. Uniform A for on board ship, and at diplomatic meetings w/e. Looks good.

Uniform B for going into hostile or dangerous situations, IE Away missions. Practical.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Cant they have a dress uniform to look good and a normal uniform to work in?
They DID seem to have a couple of duty alternates - the fatigues/mechanic sweater that Seafort mentioned from STV (which I thought was great,) the cargo jackets from STII, the bomber-style alternate jackets from STIII-IV, and a duty fatigue/coverall seen on some security and engineering personnel.

Asking why they usually wore the more formal unis when on standard bridge or command duty is like asking why Admiral Nimitz or General MacArthur wore neckties.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer