Essential Episodes for a Newb

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Essential Episodes for a Newb

Post by Nutso »

Symbiosis. It's a nice lesson on the Prime Directive. Why the Federation should not cure one civilization's ills at the cost of another's.There also a drug lesson but thankfully we aren't hammered over the head with an anti-drug message.
"Beverly the prime directive is not just a set of rules. It is a philosophy, and a very correct one. History has proved again and again that whenever Mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disasterous." - Picard to Crusher
If I could suggest another, Q Who? This introduces the Borg and also shows the Federation's flagship humbled by something out there stronger than they are and intent on destroying them. It demonstrates just how deadly exploring the galaxy can be and no haughty, puffed up attitude is strong enough. Plus there is NO reset button. Okay, they are saved when Q recues them after Picard's begging. However eighteen crewmen are killed and nothing will bring them back.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." - Q to Picard.
What a great way to let viewers know that there is some excitement to come in the new series.
Last edited by Nutso on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I think everyone has made some fantastic choices, but when it comes to TNG there are a lot of great episodes to choose from. I am going out on a limb and pick something from the much maligned season two, The Measure of A Man. I loved the questioning of whether or not Data is considered a life form, Riker and Picard's cases, and Guinan was used to good effect. Maybe I just have a weakness for courtroom drama.

Another nice element to the episode was how it better explained why there aren't a bunch of Datas walking around, citing the difficulties in creating a positronic brain.

On a side note, one of the reasons I liked Pulaski was the fact that she did not initially accept Data as a life form.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Thanks guys. Bri even asked to watch a couple of episodes. I'll probably compile something soon.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Josiah Thompson
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Josiah Thompson »

Probably "Best of Both Worlds"

You got the Borg, you got betrayal, you got Locutus of Borg's "resistance is futile", and you got a decent dose of drama.