Question about Wolf 359

The Next Generation
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Question about Wolf 359

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:A lot fo the ships at Wolf 359 only have burn marks. Voyager had far worse damage at times.
Yes, but purhaps the borg captured the crews of the damaged ships, rendering them little more then flying hunks of metel.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
metal.
fixed :P
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Nah, the chakat was fine so long as he was talking about SF mental state. :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:A lot fo the ships at Wolf 359 only have burn marks. Voyager had far worse damage at times.
How do you know they were just burn marks? Man, I am so glad I can just lose myself in the moment of Wolf 359 and the anguish the crew must've been going through, going by the Graveyard of their comrades...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

That implies that the crew nearby were cooked.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

While the crew may be dead the ship would be easy to restaff.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:While the crew may be dead the ship would be easy to restaff.
Yeah, except for all the structural and infrastructure damage from being roasted.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. That can't have been good for the hull, and I can't imagine what kind of chaos that caused among the more delicate systems.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We see Voyager take worse damage than that at times along with other ships are get fixed rather quick.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:We see Voyager take worse damage than that at times along with other ships are get fixed rather quick.

We see Voyager do alot of things. Unfortunately they never show us the crew of Oompa Loompa's that live in engineeriing and get to crawl around on the hull fixing crap (they must come out after the credits roll and Torres is in bed).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We see Voyager take worse damage than that at times along with other ships are get fixed rather quick.
We can't really say that, as we don't know what damage these ships really took. There seemed to be little external damage, but there must have been a lot of internal damage for the ships to go down like that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And Voyager could probably afford to show more damage. And it's more advanced than the Wolf 359 ships too, I'd bet.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Borg cutting beams DON'T really do that much damage. They just slice out key sections of the hull. That is why Saratoga lost warp core containment. I SUPPOSE that the Borg could have just cut away or destroyed key systems or components to cripple the ships, killing, assimilating, or even abandoning the crew after the ships were adrift. I remember hearing 11,000 dead at Wolf 359. 39 starships were destroyed, if you figure say, an average of 500 crew per ship (I know, smaller ships have less crew, this is just for an estimation) that would be around 20,000 people that were in the battle. That leaves 9,000 surviviors, which is about the crew using my figure from before of about 18 ships (again I know, this is just to illustrate a point). So, it's entirely possible that entire crews were just "left" floating in there crippled ships, because it would have been inefficient to needlessly kill them, when later they could be assimilated.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think cutting entire sections of hull out of vessels that depend on compression to function/keep their crews alive is pretty major damage.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd have to agree with Mikey. The warp core is generally buried quite deep within the hull, so slicing it out is going to do at least some of collateral damage. plus the warp core has linkages tied throughout the ship. Say, taking the GCS for example, a borg ship ripped out the core. The core would understandably rip the nacelle channel with it. that could rip a massive tube all through the engineering section, and thats SURE to cause alot of damage.