Question about Wolf 359

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Question about Wolf 359

Post by Captain Seafort »

Depends on how strong the conduits ae - it's more likely that any attempt to rip out the core would end up just ripping off the reactant injector the tractor beam locked onto. Depending on which one got grabbed this could either result in serious but localised damage, or the entire ship blowing up. Alternatively, if the core is strong enough to survive the stress, the PTCs would probably break - they must have weak points close to the core to allow them to disconnect if the core is ejected.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:I'd have to agree with Mikey. The warp core is generally buried quite deep within the hull, so slicing it out is going to do at least some of collateral damage. plus the warp core has linkages tied throughout the ship. Say, taking the GCS for example, a borg ship ripped out the core. The core would understandably rip the nacelle channel with it. that could rip a massive tube all through the engineering section, and thats SURE to cause alot of damage.
They don't have to go to all that trouble. In the DS9 pilot we see a Borg tractor blast off the entire front end of a ships saucer.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I'd have to agree with Mikey. The warp core is generally buried quite deep within the hull, so slicing it out is going to do at least some of collateral damage. plus the warp core has linkages tied throughout the ship. Say, taking the GCS for example, a borg ship ripped out the core. The core would understandably rip the nacelle channel with it. that could rip a massive tube all through the engineering section, and thats SURE to cause alot of damage.
They don't have to go to all that trouble. In the DS9 pilot we see a Borg tractor blast off the entire front end of a ships saucer.
Well yes, they did just blast the front off of the Excelsior class. But alot of the time the borg go for precision strike. They certainly did it to the E-D
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote: Well yes, they did just blast the front off of the Excelsior class. But alot of the time the borg go for precision strike. They certainly did it to the E-D
Only when they needed info, they carved up the saucerr in order to find out if they were worthy of assimilation.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You guys are right of course, regarding extent of damage the Borg can cause, but after reading my last post, I realize I wasn't very clear. When I said Borg cutting beams don't do THAT much damage, I was referring to how localized and how precise the Borg beams are, as opposed to say, a high power Klingon disruptor cannon, that just blows the hell out of a target as opposed to little surgical strikes. The Borg could, very easily after having assimilated Picard have detailed files on the most efficient way to disable Federation Starships. I was thinking more along the lines of slicing out key junctions along the EPS powergird, or other such disabling systems. After all, the Borg want to assimilate first, rather than destroy, right?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:You guys are right of course, regarding extent of damage the Borg can cause, but after reading my last post, I realize I wasn't very clear. When I said Borg cutting beams don't do THAT much damage, I was referring to how localized and how precise the Borg beams are, as opposed to say, a high power Klingon disruptor cannon, that just blows the hell out of a target as opposed to little surgical strikes.
While the Borg are certainly capable of cutting out very precise sections of hull, as in "Q Who?", their standard tactic in battle is brute force. The effects of their weapons in "BoBW", "Emissary", "First Contact", and various Voyager episodes showed none of the precision of the "Q Who?" laser.
The Borg could, very easily after having assimilated Picard have detailed files on the most efficient way to disable Federation Starships. I was thinking more along the lines of slicing out key junctions along the EPS powergird, or other such disabling systems. After all, the Borg want to assimilate first, rather than destroy, right?
I very much doubt it - Picard's assimilation obviously gave them enough information to be able to prepare for typical Starfleet weapons systems and tactics, but he isn't an engineer, and he doesn't carr circuit diagrams around in his head. The best they could have got is general areas to shoot at to cripple a ship, not specific enough to take out key systems while leaving the ship largely undamaged.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Borg's overall combat strategy seems to be simply along the lines of "screw precision, we have power". In almost every instance in which they were out to destroy a ship they simlpy blew huge parts off the ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Do we know of any ships that fled Wolf 359, even in non-canon book sources? Ones that succesfully escaped.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think there was a Nebula that survived. Can't promise you that though.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

A little farther back I asked the same question. Our best guess is the Endevour, which most likely took some heavy damage right at the outset and withdrew, before the situation became desperate.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Would make sense since there weren't any survivors left at the battle site. Someone had to have picked them up.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu