What if? III

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What if? III

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:Quite true.
Personaly, I'd have been happy if they'd have sacraficed one of the thousand or so E-E beauty shots to add another minute or so to the actual battle.
I live for the day, ten or twenty years from now most likely, when CGI is so cheap that they decide to do remastered versions of the movies much as they are doing for TOS. Imagine First Contact done with an extra two or three minutes in the battle scenes. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if the average double episode of Trek had as much if not more special effects in it than the average Trek movie.
Indeed. You've also got the problem (and cost) of the higher-quality models required for movie-quality filming. The 6' E-D model had to be heavilly upgraded for Generations, partially because it hadn't been used for years, partially because it had been built for TV-quality filming, not movie-quality,
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if the average double episode of Trek had as much if not more special effects in it than the average Trek movie.
Indeed. You've also got the problem (and cost) of the higher-quality models required for movie-quality filming. The 6' E-D model had to be heavilly upgraded for Generations, partially because it hadn't been used for years, partially because it had been built for TV-quality filming, not movie-quality,
I read once that the typical TV-quality filming model for a ship-of-the-week runs the show $50,000. And this was in ten-years-ago-money!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I read somewhere a while ago that the reason they killed off the E-D was because it was designed to look good on a TV, rather than the big screen (whether it achieved this is up to debate, though). The E-E was specificaly designed to look good on the big screen.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought the E-D looked pretty great in Generations, personally.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:I thought the E-D looked pretty great in Generations, personally.
It looked about as good as a GCS can look - the design is too unbalanced (the saucer section is too big relative to the engineering hull, and the nacelles are too small) to look great.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I thought the E-D looked pretty great in Generations, personally.
So do I, right about when it was plummeting to it's doom. :lol:

Seriously though, they did a good job for the film with what was a fairly ugly design.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Seafort.

I do agree about the GCS, though. I was going to say good, but I guess just seeing it on the big screen for the first time colored my perception. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Seafort.
And if the beholder thinks the GCS is beauty then he, she, or it needs an eye test.

Regarding Generations though, I agree with Kendall - they made the best of a bad job.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed. It could have been a lot worse.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Talos
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Talos »

Come on guys the GCS is not thaaaat ugly. It's not my favourite ship but it's ok... and... from some angles... it even looks a little beautiful
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It looks a damn sight better than the Frakensteins, but it's far from a pretty design. It's too unbalanced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Although, to be fair, being unbalanced like it is doesn't have an actual effect on a space (only) vehicle. It jsut makes it look ugly to our eyes, which are used to gravity-limited design.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I think we're just talking about aesthetics, though.
Talos

Post by Talos »

Comparing it with the Frankenstein fleet is a little unfair. The ships from that fleet are not just ugly... they are abominations... I wonder if we can somehow make them non-canon. :?