What if? III

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What if? III

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So... if Picard and the E-E weren't there, even if the fleet defeated the Cube, the Borg would still win.
In a way, yes, but in another way, no.
From what we've seen, time travel seems to create an alternate universe for your changes to exist in, rather than changing the universe you were originaly in. It would explain why we've never seen any Grandfather Paradoxes in Trek, and why "our" timeline never seems to be affected by any time travel f*ck-ups
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

I like the what if scenarios, they make me use my imagionation.

I belive that it wouldn't make a diffrence. We saw SF fleets using some good tactics and formations during DS9 battles. In FC when we arrive at the battle the flag ship has just been destroyed, we don't know who the next in line for command was, and what was the status of his ship. Also the arrival of E-E a designated flagship with a high ranking captaine didn't help. Abaut using concentrated fire on one spot, I always wondert how did that hole get there when we see most of the cubes hull lightly damaged. So the fleet could have been using concentrated fire on that spot.

So I see the battle as:
The admirals ship gets destoyed.
Fleet is confused for a few minutes.
Worf rams the cube.
Someone takes command of the fleet.
Fleet reorginzes its self.
They conntinue to fire on the cube doing damage.
The cube arrives in orbit.
I want to know what kind of stationery defences Eart has (the same defences that scare the Klingons)
Cube gets destroyed.
If it lunches the sphere than Earth is in trouble.

What if the cube doesn't get destroyed. How does planet wide assimilation even happens. We only got to see that once in an episode of Voyeger when seven is taken back to the colective. And I don't remember that there was talk of any landings, but rather the people were beamed to the ships for assimilation.

The klingons helping out. Isn't these the time whene the fed and klingons had a small war.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I want to know what kind of stationery defences Eart has (the same defences that scare the Klingons)
Not much. There's a few starbases and construction facilities in orbit, but they can easily be avoided.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Borg Cube vs Spacedock would be pretty cool to see, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Well I just think that FC was a missed oportunity to show what Earh the planet can do. It would be a cool shot if just before the cube was destroyed a massive barage would come out of nowhere.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think it would've been great to see some kind of orbital/planetary defenses in action, for sure.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It sure would have restored my faith in some 'Trek common sense.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We have heard talk of a defence grid but then again the Breen got through.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

And the Breen did less damage than a WW2 bomber attack.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I think it would've been great to see some kind of orbital/planetary defenses in action, for sure.
That's the weirdest thing. In Full Contact, with a larger budget, the Trek producers couldn't even put in some orbital defense stations, or some sort of defense shield? Earth is supposed to be some wide open territory to be defended by calling back ships from their exploratory missions? The saddest past is that Full Contact wasn't even the first Borg invasion of Earth space. All this time and the Federation still hadn't learned from the first invasion. Once again a lone Borg Cube pushed it's way into the Federation's most important planet. Defense shields, mine fields, defense platforms like the Cardassian fielded, a fleet of 70 Defiants. Defiants were made to combat the Borg. Where are they?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That was the most disappointing thing about First Contact - the opportunity to do what they didn't have the money for in BoBW II, and show a full-scale fleet battle between Starfleet and the Borg. Instead we got a few minutes of firefight, and the cube blew up. End of starship action for the rest of the film. :(
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, what a waste of potential. :(
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The brevity of the battle was my biggest gripe with the movie.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The bigger budget of movies tends to get swallowed up into higher production costs. Movies shoot scripts at a fraction of the rate than a TV show does, which increases the salary costs manyfold right there. Movies use higher resolution images too, which means props need to be built to a higher quality. And so on, and so on.

Wouldn't surprise me if the average double episode of Trek had as much if not more special effects in it than the average Trek movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite true.
Personaly, I'd have been happy if they'd have sacraficed one of the thousand or so E-E beauty shots to add another minute or so to the actual battle.