Romulan Fleet

The Next Generation
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Romulan Fleet

Post by Sonic Glitch »

3 subs w/ 3 planes. 9 plans and 3 deck guns, what were they supposed to do to the entire canal zone?! There were fears of an attack on the canal zone, instead they sent subs to shell the coast of California/Oregon (poorly I might add). The canal zone had 68,000 personel stationed for defense. While I'm sure not all of them would be manning guns, it's still much more territory then 3 super-large subs and their planes could hope to do permanent damage to.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Like I said, the class was brand new, so they hadn't had the chance to do anything yet. The Japanese sending them on a suicide mission is hardly an indication that they were useless; they sent their flagship alone against a massive fleet, and the Kamikaze attacks were commonplace by that point. They seemed to like sending their assets on one-way trips.

The B1 class I linked to back there was considerably more successful; I'm sure if the I-400 had had a few more months to operate, they would've proven useful.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Don't let your head get to big, most large military projects like the F-35 get funding and technical support from allied nations
The United Kingdom, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada, Turkey, Australia, Norway and Denmark have contributed $4.375 billion toward the development costs of the F-35 program. Total development costs are estimated at more than $40 billion. That's just barely 10% from 9 other countrys.

As for the subs, they were finished just before the end of the war and suicide missions were not uncommon for the Japanese at that point.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:3 subs w/ 3 planes. 9 plans and 3 deck guns, what were they supposed to do to the entire canal zone?! There were fears of an attack on the canal zone, instead they sent subs to shell the coast of California/Oregon (poorly I might add). The canal zone had 68,000 personel stationed for defense. While I'm sure not all of them would be manning guns, it's still much more territory then 3 super-large subs and their planes could hope to do permanent damage to.
Their plan was bomb the lock gates, rather than attack the entire canal zone, the idea being that it would cripple the allied LoC. Whether nine 800kg bombs would have been enough to pull this off is questionable.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
The United Kingdom, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada, Turkey, Australia, Norway and Denmark have contributed $4.375 billion toward the development costs of the F-35 program. Total development costs are estimated at more than $40 billion. That's just barely 10% from 9 other countrys.
Because money=technical support. Am I right? Eh, eh?
As for the subs, they were finished just before the end of the war and suicide missions were not uncommon for the Japanese at that point.
Even if they had done it at the start of the war with the subs, they wouldn't have accomplished much beyond delaying any ships coming through. If that. As posted above, the canal had heavy defenses. And 16,200 lbs of bombs aren't going to do much from that type of aircraft and to the structure of the canal.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote: Their plan was bomb the lock gates, rather than attack the entire canal zone, the idea being that it would cripple the allied LoC. Whether nine 800kg bombs would have been enough to pull this off is questionable.
I'd lay odds that they wouldn't have been able to hit the locks. Precision bombing from small aircraft at the time required divebombing, which would be quite difficult with that aircraft.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:3 subs w/ 3 planes. 9 plans and 3 deck guns, what were they supposed to do to the entire canal zone?! There were fears of an attack on the canal zone, instead they sent subs to shell the coast of California/Oregon (poorly I might add). The canal zone had 68,000 personel stationed for defense. While I'm sure not all of them would be manning guns, it's still much more territory then 3 super-large subs and their planes could hope to do permanent damage to.
Their plan was bomb the lock gates, rather than attack the entire canal zone, the idea being that it would cripple the allied LoC. Whether nine 800kg bombs would have been enough to pull this off is questionable.
Right. I'm not saying they would've succeeded, or that the mission was the best use of them as a resource. I just think declaring the concept to be a complete failure is a bit unfair.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Romulans built their fleet off of the "One size fits all" ideal. The D'D was meant to do everything, maybe not be the best but still good all around. They were a close match to the E-D or more like the GCS-IU. Thats not to bad if you have a lot of them. Good firepower, can carry troops, long range and looks nasty.

Pro's
Multipurpose - This means it can do a lot of things...!
Warship - Cloak means that they can move without being seen. Some pretty heavy weapons and good coverage all round.
Scout- Cloak again means that you can watch others without being seen or seen as easily.
Transport - Troops, supplies and whatever else you may need. The D'D has a good bit of space to do it.
Production - One type of ship means its much easier to build, repair and crew.
Apperance - Even knowing your smaller ship can match that big ship doesn't change that the BIG GUY can itch your nerves. Its also a good morale boost for the ship's crew. Think about it, you're always bigger then the other guy. That will help even if only a enough to keep your crew from being worried about battle.

I've been in a lot (tons) of fights. I'm about medium build I think (6'2 230 lbs) and so have been up against a lot of people bigger then me and then people smaller then me. I always felt better when I didn't have to fight someone bigger then me.

Con's
Multipurpose - This ship was a master of nothing. Means that you need two of them to match any other ship at a task.
Warship - Poor shields and no armour. Needs to attack first which won't always work out the way you want it.
Scout- No real con's on this one.
Transport - When you have to pull a warship off the line to ship troops or food you're not in the best of modes.
Production - Very costly. The needs of a ship like this would be far more then for what the ship can proform. Plus it would be hard to produce these ships at a great speed.
Apperance - When you see a big ship you tend to be on your guard, that means you will always be on guard around the Romulans. That could often times cost them the element of suprise.

When I fight someone bigger then me I tend to give it my best from the start. I'm more focused and determined to find a weakness and use it quickly.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I still don't recall any evidence that the D'deridex was capable of significant troop transport capability. A lot of that "space" is, in fact, empty space between the actual structure.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I still don't recall any evidence that the D'deridex was capable of significant troop transport capability. A lot of that "space" is, in fact, empty space between the actual structure.
Shh, don't spoil it for him. It's hard enough to type that one handed. :wink: :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote:I still don't recall any evidence that the D'deridex was capable of significant troop transport capability. A lot of that "space" is, in fact, empty space between the actual structure.
Shh, don't spoil it for him. It's hard enough to type that one handed. :wink: :lol:
:oops: Sorry. I mean, absolutely correct. Nice to see you again Deep, BTW.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I still don't recall any evidence that the D'deridex was capable of significant troop transport capability. A lot of that "space" is, in fact, empty space between the actual structure.
Mikey, any ship of that size could carry troops. A GCS can carry 6,000 troops if she wants to. Now I don't think the D'D could carry anywhere near that many troops but I'm sure they have cargo holds, shuttle bays and crew quarters that could fit some extra people. I never said significant, I just said they could. Any ship could carry troops, the D'D is just big enough to carry more then the Romulan Scout could. Unless you think the scout could carry more lol.... :lol:

PS, that vacum could carry troops between places so long as their being alive wasnt important.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Shh, don't spoil it for him. It's hard enough to type that one handed.
My hand hasn't been broken in months, even though two of my fingers did heal weird. By weird I mean weird angles that just don't look right. I might take a week off of work and have my friend reset them for me.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The GCS can carry 6k troops? Where is that from?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Doesn't she have a colony/emergency transport capacity of several k? Troops shouldn't be too much more of a concern. She should have more than enough space, if a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier can crew 5000.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who