WTF? Dolphins and whales on the E-D?

The Next Generation
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: WTF? Dolphins and whales on the E-D?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, you had good points on the other stuff, and I'm running out of material so I guess...and I can't believe I'm saying this and I'm sure you won't either...points conceded. Hey, that didn't even leave a foul taste in my ...oh wait there it is. Kinda sneaks up on you.
Rochey wrote:
There's a difference between investigating and playing chicken.
And just what the hell would you do, then? Ignore it. Stay too far away to get proper readings, even though there's no indication that closing would make anything bad happen? Let this completely unknown and apparently advanced spacecraft pass by your borders without trying to contact it?
Doing your job and investigating something new is not "playing chicken". Investigating things is their job. It'd be a bit hard to do that if you ran away the moment you encountered anything new.

So since this is the only part I'm still interested in I'll respond to this. If I were the Saratoga's captain I would've launched a probe to get information on the probe, or at the very least determine what response it would have to a potential threat.

As for the playing chicken, that's what it looked like to me from the onscreen stuff.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If I were the Saratoga's captain I would've launched a probe to get information on the probe, or at the very least determine what response it would have to a potential threat.
I would have done the the same. Probes are made for that purpose.

I'm not sure, but is this the first time that any of our debates have ended in a concedence rather than agreeing to disagree?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Don't press the issue. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

No joke.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I believe we should all back away very quietly and not make any sudden moves for fear of reigniting the thread.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, you had good points on the other stuff, and I'm running out of material so I guess...and I can't believe I'm saying this and I'm sure you won't either...points conceded.
Thank you.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Something occured to me last night. The probe was transmitting in the language of the Humpback whales in some mannor that could be detected by other space craft. And according to Rochey's theory the probe had some sort of advanced sensor system that could pick up water vibrations from intergalactic distances. However, if the whales have no subspace connection or something similar in nature, how was the probe expecting them to recieve the signal before it reached Earth?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Considering that Starfleet didn't find Data's head under San Francisco until the 2300's, I'd say it's possible that the Probe Builders (for lack of a better term) had some kind of transmitters on Earth somewhere. The deep ocean is almost entirely unexplored at this point, and apparently it's still unexplored in 'Trek's 23rd and 24th centuries.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always figured there was some sort of long range telepathic component to the whale song and the probe's transmissions.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh christ, not again.
Something occured to me last night. The probe was transmitting in the language of the Humpback whales in some mannor that could be detected by other space craft. And according to Rochey's theory the probe had some sort of advanced sensor system that could pick up water vibrations from intergalactic distances. However, if the whales have no subspace connection or something similar in nature, how was the probe expecting them to recieve the signal before it reached Earth?
This has already been answered.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Oh christ, not again.
This has already been answered.
Well, then I'm sure there's no problem with you restating the answer.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fine, but I'm not going over all this again.
The probe was transmitting from the moment a ship came into contact with it, and proceeded to continue to transmitting throughout its journey, and also when it arrived in orbit. The logical conclusion is that it was broadcasting the signals from the moment it set course for Earth. If it could broadcast its signals from, say, the Klingon border, there'd be no need for it to jump into Earth orbit. The fact that Earth's atmosphere didn't start getting messed with until the probe was in orbit further indicates that it didn't have the range to reach Earth from that distance at all.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Tsukiyumi wrote: and apparently it's still unexplored in 'Trek's 23rd and 24th centuries.
What makes you say that?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't know, the Atlantis project in the episode after BoBW made it sound a bit like research had been slow going. A World War may have stalled the research a bit. :wink:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Fine, but I'm not going over all this again.
The probe was transmitting from the moment a ship came into contact with it, and proceeded to continue to transmitting throughout its journey, and also when it arrived in orbit. The logical conclusion is that it was broadcasting the signals from the moment it set course for Earth. If it could broadcast its signals from, say, the Klingon border, there'd be no need for it to jump into Earth orbit. The fact that Earth's atmosphere didn't start getting messed with until the probe was in orbit further indicates that it didn't have the range to reach Earth from that distance at all.
Why would it broadcast if it the people it was trying to talk to can't recieve it? Also, the effect on Earth's atmosphere could have been a side effect of one of the probe's other functions, like the effect that disabled the ships it encountered.