What would you fix on the E-D?

The Next Generation

What would you change?

Add redundant weapon control systems
No votes
Give the holodeck a safe "off switch" located outside the door, to rescue crew in case of malfunction
30%
Place components that require maintainance in rooms instead of Jefferies tubes
No votes
Install dedicated computers to take over ship functions where possible, as opposed to relying on a single computer
3%
Link bridge consoles to a circuit breaker (no more exploding consloes!)
23%
Shrink the crew quarters substantially.
3%
Add two extra warp nacelles, six poorly scaled phaser cannons, and ten photon torpedo launchers
3%
Other (please specify)
13%
I would not suggest any changes.
No votes
Add diverse and redundant systems to prevent a warp core breach
28%

Total votes: 40
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What would you fix on the E-D?

Post by Nickswitz »

Wait. I don't remember the early epps of VOY. The Kazon hacked voyager. What, did Tuvok hand them the security codes or something. They aren't anything close to smart.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

What security codes... :roll:
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oh right. That makes more sense.
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:
And about the Iconian Virus-it was fricking SUPER ADVANCED. Even with Firewalls and everything, they would have made absolutely NO difference.
We've been over that scenario before. There should have been no way for the virus to get into the computers at all without someone on the ship letting it.
And since when was it "super advanced"?
Since we were told the Iconians were a super-advancded extinct race? They had STARGATES for crying out loud! :lol: It was definitely stated (or implied) that the Iconians were above Federation technology when they died out.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:Since we were told the Iconians were a super-advancded extinct race? They had STARGATES for crying out loud! :lol: It was definitely stated (or implied) that the Iconians were above Federation technology when they died out.
The Iconian gateways were more advanced than Stargates - they were capable of going pretty much anywhere, while the Stargates were limited to Gate-to-Gate travel. Nontheless, the Iconian programme shouldn't even have been run by the Yamato's computer. It was, as was the alien programme in "Masks". This shows that Fed computer security is inferior to basic anti-spam software.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair enough, though the fact remains that the virus shouldn't have been able to get into the computer at all unless someone allowed it to.

For example, I'm sure everyone here has, at some point, gotten or heard of one of those emails with a virus attatched. It comes in a file that is atatched to the email. However, it can't affect your computer unless you open the file and let it onto your computer. The same holds true here. Regardless of how advanced it was, it would have needed someone to let it onto the ship if it had basic security. It can't get the computer to let it on, because it can only control the computer after it's let in. Therefore the only conclusion is that they don't have any security for their computers (or that they do, but are inferior to the security on your average email acount).
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

And finally, why did it take Data dying (yet again) for Geordi to realise that all they had to do was wipe the computer and replace it from a backup?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The same reason that can be given for most of these simple solutions getting passed up:

Starfleet are stupid.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Even Microsoft can do better than Starfleet.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm begining to think Starfleet uses MS as their operating system. It would explain why everything on the ship breaks or explodes at the drop of a hat.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well its certainly not vista. Vista bogs itself down with security. Windows 2370?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It works slower than ever!
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:Fair enough, though the fact remains that the virus shouldn't have been able to get into the computer at all unless someone allowed it to.

For example, I'm sure everyone here has, at some point, gotten or heard of one of those emails with a virus attatched. It comes in a file that is atatched to the email. However, it can't affect your computer unless you open the file and let it onto your computer. The same holds true here. Regardless of how advanced it was, it would have needed someone to let it onto the ship if it had basic security. It can't get the computer to let it on, because it can only control the computer after it's let in. Therefore the only conclusion is that they don't have any security for their computers (or that they do, but are inferior to the security on your average email acount).
It stowed away in the logs they downloaded from the Yamato it was not an attachment so there was no obvious threat. All they did was transfer the recorded logs from their sister ship in an effort to find out WTF happened.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

me,myself and I wrote:It stowed away in the logs they downloaded from the Yamato it was not an attachment so there was no obvious threat. All they did was transfer the recorded logs from their sister ship in an effort to find out WTF happened.
The point is that they didn't scan the logs for malicious code before they opened them - if they had then they wouldn't have had the problems they did.

Moreover your point doesn't address how the virus got into the Yamato's computer, nor how much the same happened to the Enterprise in "Masks".
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Reliant121 wrote:Even Microsoft can do better than Starfleet.
Lets not go nuts...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.