Stellar Cartography Room

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Stellar Cartography Room

Post by Bryan Moore »

While I think that Stellar Cartography on the updated Enterprise-D, the Enterprise-E, and Voyager are all fantastic sets, does anyone else agree that they seem sort of superfluous? I love them, the idea is cool, but why would this not be in conjunction with the bridge?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I always figured it as a combination of a navigation system and a science lab. perhaps it has better equipment to determine what to do should they come across one of those spatial anomalies.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I presumed it gave you a better way to use the data your sensors gave you. Reading it on a PADD and seeing it 3D are very different. Might be better computers to.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Both valid points. I just can't get past the whole "Okay, new set to wow people for the movie" thing. It's like adding another character to drum up some ratings, er I mean, provide diversity. Which, as we know, Trek would NEVER do. Speaking of which, Chekov, Barclay, Worf, and Seven of Nine were on a shuttlepod...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ratings is what TV is all about. Isn't that the reaon the Borg were introduced? To give a new super bad guy and drum up ratings. Of coarse it was added to be impressiv but it also seems to have a semi useful purpose.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And then look what Voyager did to them... :x
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I honestly don't mind as much as others what happened to the borg. tghey couldn't stay unbeatable forever and Voyager did have a few advantages others didn't.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:I honestly don't mind as much as others what happened to the borg. tghey couldn't stay unbeatable forever and Voyager did have a few advantages others didn't.
The problem wasn't so much Voyager beating the Borg (after all, they did that in TNG) but beating them on a regular basis. Even worse, they were changed from from a faceless force of nature to a bunch of morons who were helpless if they couldn't assimilate something, and led by a badly dressed egomaniac with a habit of getting into petty oneupmanship contests with Janeway.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It was always my opinion that the Borgs biggest strengh were numbers and nothing worked twice against them.

There biggest weakness is that they only really react to situations. They don't think what could happen they just wait for it to happen then deal with it. If someone tried something new on them chances are it will work. Voyager learned this and so has the Federation to some extent.

The queen... well she is both good and bad for the borg and I;ll leave that to another debate.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:It was always my opinion that the Borgs biggest strengh were numbers and nothing worked twice against them.
What about 8472 then? Months of combat and they still began every battle with their standard monologue "We are the Borg, we will add your blah, blah, blah. Resistance is. . ." BANG!! They came on in the old style and were blown into small pieces in the old sttyle.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Did they use that line on them?

Regardless they may have tried something different everytime and we would never know. we saw them attack but they may have used different strategy every time. One time we saw 15 cubes attack one ship. Thats pretty new for them they usually only do one at a time.

Plus that was one of the situations were nothing was working but they still had to do something.

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Back to the Stellar Cartography problem... Does anyone else agree it is somewhat overblown/superfluous. And if it WAS that elaborate, why not dozens of p eople working in it at any given time. I know, it makes for a nice set, etc. But it just sorta gets to me some times.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We only see it a limited amount of time. Maybe it is in use a lot. And if not Federation ships have always been extavagent.

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I don't see why it wouldn't be used a lot, just not by the command crew. In general, I could see consulting it to make strategic decisions (Data and Picard in NEM, GEN), or to get more information about phenomena (VOY), but I would think that in general it is used by the science staff, who probably use it to play Halo. (I mean, "collect sensor readings and make them into reports")
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I would imagine that it would be used like any other laboratory at times other than when the command crew wants to show the audience something new and shiny.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Stellar Cartography is definitely SFX eye candy. However, it COULD be said that with the amount of visual and other information involved, a display and/or interface small enough to be convenient for bridge use would be too small to be as effective as the room-sized unit, or too small to be easily read and used.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer