Replicators

The Next Generation
ultron2099
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Replicators

Post by ultron2099 »

Mikey wrote:"Energy rations" for the replicators could just as easily apply to the energy required for their usage, not necessarily to actually supply them. Statements like that really don't prove anything, because they can be interpreted either way depending on one's own original opinion of the replicator's function.

However, we are not just inventing answers, we are applying known facts to make educated guesses. Fact one, the replicators are a derived technology of Transporters. fact 2, Transporters are a matter to energy to matter converter. Fact 3, matter and energy are the same just in different states of being. fact 4, its been stated that a neutral material, aka we will call it matter x, is used by the replicators to create what it does.

supposition, this matter x is converted to energy, moved along the eps conduits to the replicator, and then converted back to matter and pressed into whatever pattern that has been selected.

Supposition, although more expensive, energy can be drawn directly from the main matter/antimatter plasma systems, routed to the replicator, and again the energy can be converted into matter and pressed into whatever pattern is selected.

educated guess, when someone is put on an 'energy ration' this refers to the rationing of the energy drawn from the main energizers and used for whatever purpose.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ultron2099 wrote:Fact one, the replicators are a derived technology of Transporters.
Supposition actually, but reasonable, and something I agree with
fact 2, Transporters are a matter to energy to matter converter.
This is where we disagree - please provide evidence of this claim.
Fact 3, matter and energy are the same just in different states of being.
Under realtivity, certainly. That doesn't mean they behave the same, or that a given quatity of mass-energy can be easilly switched between the two.
fact 4, its been stated that a neutral material, aka we will call it matter x, is used by the replicators to create what it does.
Not neutral - base mass. This base mass, given replicators observed limitations, must contain the given elements and/or molecules that must be combined to produce items. You've yet to even respond to this point, which has been made several times, let alone refute it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

This all seems logical. None of what I said disputed any of your points. However, the point still stands that a comment like "energy rations" could be interpreted either way depending upon your own opinion.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I'm mostly a bystander in this discussion, but I'm curious, and maybe it's pertinent: are we talking about splitting/joining atoms, or molecules?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good question. Do replicators actually change elements, or merely reassemble molecules?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think it was stated in a ep that they reaseble molecules, I think it was a VOY ep.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
ultron2099

Post by ultron2099 »

schizo-hal wrote:I'm mostly a bystander in this discussion, but I'm curious, and maybe it's pertinent: are we talking about splitting/joining atoms, or molecules?

yeah, were talking about fission and fusion. I would have to say the replicators work on the atomic level, the transporters work on the sub atomic level.

as for the replicator being based off of transporter technology, thats in the daystrom institute tech files.

as for the transporter being a matter to energy to matter converter. it states it dematerializes and rematerializes objects by breaking them down at the subatomic level. now plug in the conservation of matter. as you break down matter it releases energy. either they convert the entire mass to energy and then compensate for any lossed energy in the beaming process, or else they have to compensate for matter in the rematerialization phase. its more logical to assume they beam energy across distance vs subatomic particles. energy can be compensated for, particles missing can't be exactly duplicated and thus are harder to compensate for.

sooo after the energy is beamed somewhere, it is converted back from energy to matter and the original pattern is superimposed.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

But if they're just beaming energy to wherever, what's the mechanism that dictates which type of particle is created, and where it's put? It's like a brain surgeon doing his thang from a hundred miles away, versus a brain surgeon building a brain from scratch a hundred miles away.

Dang it, I'm starting to reach that point of wanting to cop out. But transporters and replicators are too cool for a cop out!
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
ultron2099

Post by ultron2099 »

schizo-hal wrote:But if they're just beaming energy to wherever, what's the mechanism that dictates which type of particle is created, and where it's put? It's like a brain surgeon doing his thang from a hundred miles away, versus a brain surgeon building a brain from scratch a hundred miles away.

Dang it, I'm starting to reach that point of wanting to cop out. But transporters and replicators are too cool for a cop out!

Aye, there's the rub. It's the biggest part of the whole transporter machenism I don't understand. Just how the hell do they rematerialize objects on the other end?? Seriously, how do they either arrange the particle stream back into the original pattern at the quantum level or how do they convert the energy into matter imposing the original matrix down to the quantum level. Like I said, they don't use a subspace system, that was clearly attempted and considered a failure, so how does this system work??