Interesting facts about "Future Imperfect"

The Next Generation
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Interesting facts about "Future Imperfect"

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

This episode is uncannily prescient:
Riker comments on the unlikelihood of a Ferengi ensign, though Nog became an ensign just seven years later in DS9: "Favor the Bold".
This episode takes place 16 years into Riker's future. This would be 2383, four years after the events seen in Star Trek Nemesis. Admiral Picard states that the peace talks with the Romulans originated in an event four years prior, the same time period as Nemesis.
Although non-canon, the Star Trek: Titan novel Taking Wing states Riker's first assignment in command of the USS Titan is a diplomatic mission with the Romulans after the events of Nemesis. Also, these negotiations did include Tomalak, who has become proconsul of the Romulan Senate rather than an admiral.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Well, it was either a few coincidences, or the writers showing exceptional continuity skills :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:Well, it was either a few coincidences, or the writers showing exceptional continuity skills :)
I'm normally a skeptic, but in this case I'd have to wager on the former. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Impressive but I doubt it is anything more than chance.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe DS9's writers actually watched that episode, and decided some of those were reasonable ideas to use. Too bad Enterprise's writers didn't do the same.

" ...no phasers in the 22nd century."

Gah.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm gonna go with the others and chalk this one up to coincidence.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

"My friend, there is a fine line between coincidence and fate"

But seriously, I guess it's that whole, "Give a hundred monkeys a hundred typewriters" type thing.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

wow...the got something canon wise right...dear god i may have a heart attack.

crap...spillt coffee over the tv remote ¬¬
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Interesting indeed. On another note, most of the books have excellent continuity with the TV shows, movies, and other books. I always wonder why the writers for the ST series couldn't have borrowed some ideas from the books like have Diane Duane's "Dark Mirror" made into an episode.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Episodes are rushed out in a matter of weeks. Books have a far longer time to be written and edited.

I can forgive the occasional mistake in a series. In something as complex as trek its to be expected. Its when it comes to out right ignoring it that it becomes annoying.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Episodes are rushed out in a matter of weeks. Books have a far longer time to be written and edited.

I can forgive the occasional mistake in a series. In something as complex as trek its to be expected. Its when it comes to out right ignoring it that it becomes annoying.
Ignoring it? It seems that we're discussing ENT again, are we?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Wasn't Nemesis's basic script written by Spiner and a Trek fan? If a fan was involved it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was substantial attention to continuity.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I havent heard that it was written by a fan.

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I heard the guy who wrote Nemisis had never seen Star Trek before.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I heard the guy who wrote Nemisis had never seen Star Trek before.
I had heard, back before the movie itself came out, that Spiner and a fan had laid out the basic premise, or something to that effect.