Ship of the week: Olympic

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Judging from Teaos' pic, it does look quite Klingon. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'd also put the Prommie, and possibly the Akira into that list. The former was specifically described as a warship, and the latter has always been seen in a combat role, on numerous occassions.
With the Akira we've always seen it in a combat role because the only time we ever saw it was in First Contact and then afterwards in DS9, well after the war started. We saw one in Voyager rolling out of a shipyard and that's all. It's circumstantial at best to categorize it as a warship. Yet we know due to the Akira's "cousin" status to the Nebula and Galaxy classes, and the registry numbers, that the ship class "must have" been in production since/before/during the TNG 7 year run, making it unlikely to be a pure combat ship.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Would Klingons, etc., follow such conventions?
Under normal circumstances when the ship isn't being used for spying, the Klingons would honor such conventions. The Romulans might if you can make the right agreement, but they still might go back on their word. The Cardassians strike me as the kind who would, although one of Garrak's off hand comments suggests otherwise, but the Dominion would just want to kill their enemies except when stopped by a founder.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:With the Akira we've always seen it in a combat role because the only time we ever saw it was in First Contact and then afterwards in DS9, well after the war started. We saw one in Voyager rolling out of a shipyard and that's all. It's circumstantial at best to categorize it as a warship. Yet we know due to the Akira's "cousin" status to the Nebula and Galaxy classes, and the registry numbers, that the ship class "must have" been in production since/before/during the TNG 7 year run, making it unlikely to be a pure combat ship.
Cousin to the Galaxy/Nebula? What do you mean by that?

We also saw an Akira in "Message in a Bottle", leading a task force of itself and two Defiants against the Prometheus. Since this was the second Starfleet attack on the Prometheus after the initial response of a Nebula (probably the closest ship) failed, it's likely that Starfleet put together a proper task force of the best combat ships available.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:With the Akira we've always seen it in a combat role because the only time we ever saw it was in First Contact and then afterwards in DS9, well after the war started. We saw one in Voyager rolling out of a shipyard and that's all. It's circumstantial at best to categorize it as a warship. Yet we know due to the Akira's "cousin" status to the Nebula and Galaxy classes, and the registry numbers, that the ship class "must have" been in production since/before/during the TNG 7 year run, making it unlikely to be a pure combat ship.
Cousin to the Galaxy/Nebula? What do you mean by that?

We also saw an Akira in "Message in a Bottle", leading a task force of itself and two Defiants against the Prometheus. Since this was the second Starfleet attack on the Prometheus after the initial response of a Nebula (probably the closest ship) failed, it's likely that Starfleet put together a proper task force of the best combat ships available.
I mean that with the primary hull shape and just the general look of the thing it's fairly clear it has "emerged" in the same lineage as Ambassador->Galaxy, Nebula. The registry numbers also imply roughly overlapping development and production periods.

I'm not disputing that it has been used in combat. But it is both a stretch and circumstantial to then identify it as a warship and presume it is a single role vessel. Single role vessels are very rare in Trek history. We know almost nothing about the Akira from on-screen canon-- even the supposed heavy torpedo armament that the ship is described to have in non-canon sources, I've never seen it exactly wail and blow out more firepower than would be typical of virtually any ship of the same size.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Duskofdead wrote:I mean that with the primary hull shape and just the general look of the thing it's fairly clear it has "emerged" in the same lineage as Ambassador->Galaxy, Nebula. The registry numbers also imply roughly overlapping development and production periods.
Hmm, it looks more like a 24th century Miranda to me, with the saucer/rollbar/nacelles combination, as opposed to the Galaxy's saucer/engineer hull/nacelles combination. In such a breakdown I'd call the Galaxy/Nebula the successor to the Ambassador and Constitution, and the Intrepid and Sovereign the successors of the Excelsior, at least in hull form.
I'm not disputing that it has been used in combat. But it is both a stretch and circumstantial to then identify it as a warship and presume it is a single role vessel. Single role vessels are very rare in Trek history. We know almost nothing about the Akira from on-screen canon-- even the supposed heavy torpedo armament that the ship is described to have in non-canon sources, I've never seen it exactly wail and blow out more firepower than would be typical of virtually any ship of the same size.
We can see the heavy armament of the Akira - at least six tubes in the rollbar, two each to port and starboard, and another beneath the saucer rim. That, plus its prevalence in the DS9 fleet actions, and its use in leading a pair of known dedicated warships in "Message in a Bottle" is solid evidence that if it isn't a dedicated warship, it's weighted towards that end of the multi-role spectrum.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I like the Olympic.

Another purpose built ship, the Oberth class (also one that, like the defiant, has size issues. Compare it in The Naked Now and at the end of Generations).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Correction: if the future has laws of war that are followed. The answer is evidently not, judging by what happened to the Pasteur. Then again, I don't think using a hospital ship as a covert reconnaissance vessel is legal either.
Not a chance in hell is it legal. Anyone remember the Pueblo?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Correction: if the future has laws of war that are followed. The answer is evidently not, judging by what happened to the Pasteur. Then again, I don't think using a hospital ship as a covert reconnaissance vessel is legal either.
Not a chance in hell is it legal. Anyone remember the Pueblo?
The Mexican guy who painted my next door neighbor's fence for 50 cents an hour?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

While that is one great deal, I think Kendall is referring to the US research ship that was used to secretly spy on North Korea.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Under normal circumstances when the ship isn't being used for spying, the Klingons would honor such conventions.
I doubt it, In Way of the Warrior Odo specifically tells Bashir that his Blue Uniform won't protect him and in Nor the Battle they were quite willing to attack a Field Hospital. Also in Rules of Engagement it is said, and not contested that in war it is honorable to kill any enemy, military or civilian. All of that plus the Klingon belief that Stovokor can only be reached through an honorable death in combat, save a few ways, could mean that they would treat such a ship as depriving the Feds of an honorable death and thus a trip to Stovokor.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Not to mention Worf's statement in WotW that "in war there is nothing more honourable than victory."
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Exactly.

I also like the design of this ship, the spherical nature means that much of the Medical Facilities could be located deep within the ship and thus less open to damage from an attack, should it ever occur.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

KuvahMagh wrote:Exactly.

I also like the design of this ship, the spherical nature means that much of the Medical Facilities could be located deep within the ship and thus less open to damage from an attack, should it ever occur.
[channel Rochey]
Like a bridge should be?[/channel Rochey]
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

[channel Rochey]
Like a bridge should be?[/channel Rochey]
STOP IT!

One's bad enough.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.