Ship of the week: Olympic

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

From what we've seen of DS9's medical facilities, they aren't large enough to handle a regular flow of war casualties on their own.

It is nice to see a practical support ship, though it was absent in many situations where it would have been useful. Supply ships would also have been useful during the war. Those should essentially just look like big boxes with nacelles.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

For all we know a bunch of those older designs could have been supply ships. Stripped down and loaded up with cargo.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

That would certainly be a cost-effective measure. We've never seen SF ships operating in this role, though; most of the older ships in the war were cannon fodder in battle scenes.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:Exactly.

I also like the design of this ship, the spherical nature means that much of the Medical Facilities could be located deep within the ship and thus less open to damage from an attack, should it ever occur.
[channel Rochey]
Like a bridge should be?[/channel Rochey]
Exactly.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I always had a soft spot for the Olympic class. i like the Spherical design lineage, although the Daedalus wasnt exactly beautiful. And, unusually, the Olympic design is consistant with something that could be taken as a medical cruiser. Big and bulky for good medical facilities. Plus space for shuttles to transport casualties two and from the ship.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Daedalus wasnt pretty but it was a good design for humanities first starship.

I think part of the reason for the Olympics strnage design was to give a giant "don't shoot" message to anyone who see's it. You could hardly claim to mistake that for any other federation design.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I really like the design. These should have been seen more like during fleet operations. Out of 600 ships a few should be medical.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:The Daedalus wasnt pretty but it was a good design for humanities first starship.

I think part of the reason for the Olympics strnage design was to give a giant "don't shoot" message to anyone who see's it. You could hardly claim to mistake that for any other federation design.
And, as has been mentioned, the simplest way to maximize interior volume - the bueatifully common-sense sphere.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:[channel Rochey]
Like a bridge should be?[/channel Rochey]
It's nice to know that even when I'm not around people always know just what I'm going to say. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If it wasn't easy enough to guess, I could have just hacked your brain and picked it out. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

you beginning to believe saint jerome,now mikey? :D
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Granitehewer wrote:you beginning to believe saint jerome,now mikey? :D
Not entirely... I shaved down the horns. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If it wasn't easy enough to guess, I could have just hacked your brain and picked it out.
:lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"