What If: Sins of the Father

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

What If: Sins of the Father

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What if, at the end of "Sins of the Father," Worf hadn't agreed to accept discommodation but Picard had followed through on his threat to withhold Worf (and Kurn), and this leads to the alliance being broken.

Remember, soon after this Kem'pok dies of poisoning and the Klingon Civil War is ignited. Without Federation interference to block the Romulan support to the Duras, Gowron could lose the war.
Last edited by Captain Picard's Hair on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It seems likely that the Federation would soon be facing a Klingon-Romulan alliance. If they had failed to support Gowron, the Federation would've been in bad trouble.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Now there's a conversation starter. We were argueing about who would do more damage, Klingons or Romulans. What if they ganged up on the Federation?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Now there's a conversation starter. We were argueing about who would do more damage, Klingons or Romulans. What if they ganged up on the Federation?
I think we've had this one before. The Feds are screwed - the Klingons alone were beating the Feds in the YE-reality, and adding the Romulans industrial capacity would make things even worse.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Now there's a conversation starter. We were argueing about who would do more damage, Klingons or Romulans. What if they ganged up on the Federation?
I think we've had this one before. The Feds are screwed - the Klingons alone were beating the Feds in the YE-reality, and adding the Romulans industrial capacity would make things even worse.
Awww...I must have missed that one. But in the YE-reality they had been at war for a long time. I wonder who would win post-dominion war though.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Awww...I must have missed that one. But in the YE-reality they had been at war for a long time. I wonder who would win post-dominion war though.
Probably the Feds, due to the Klingons taking the brunt while the Feds and Romulans were trying to figure out a counter to the Breen energy dampener. Sloan certain seemed to think that the post-war quandrant would be dominated by the Feds and the Romulans.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

There is one ray of hope: during the Civil War, most Klingons were not aware of the Romulan connection (as demonstrated by the events of Redemption pt 2). If the Duras win, can it be kept a secret that the Romulans are the power behind the throne? There could be a Klingon revolt against the Duras/Romulans. At the least, the disruption would make the Federation a secondary concern of the Romulans.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dammit. Now I have to go set up that scenario on Bridge Commander. My OCD is flaring up, I think... :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think if Duras did win the Romulans would have manipulated them into attacking the Feds by themselves. That way the Romulans will lose one enemy and the other will be so weakened they can then take them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think we can say in this scenario that the Feds still knew about the Duras - Romulan connection. Given that, even if Worf refused to accept discommendation, wouldn't the Feds still attempt to step in to at least deny Romulan aid to the Duras faction?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They may protest but do the Feds have the balls to step in with force?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Mikey wrote:I think we can say in this scenario that the Feds still knew about the Duras - Romulan connection. Given that, even if Worf refused to accept discommendation, wouldn't the Feds still attempt to step in to at least deny Romulan aid to the Duras faction?
I did consider this possibility, though it's such an interesting scenario I thought we should discuss these possibilities in the forum (I've actually been holding onto this while I did the favorite eps series). We know that Picard/Worf would know about it. It would be a different discussion with Starfleet than when the Klingons were allies, and there's a possibility that the Klingons would object to the kind of action taken in Redemption II once the treaty is broken.

One question I didn't think of until now is whether there'd be a Gowron at all, or a civil War, since those aspects involved Picard as well. Take him out of the equation as arbiter, and remove the killing of Duras by Worf, and perhaps Duras takes over the Empire in the traditional combat, killing Gowron.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Just because the Kill Gowron does not mean that everyone would follow them. Sure its tradtiton but if some were really against it they might still oppose it.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think from what we had seen, Gowron probably could have taken Duras in a fight.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Mikey wrote:I think from what we had seen, Gowron probably could have taken Duras in a fight.
And Worf could take them both at once :D