Theoretical question.

The Next Generation
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Theoretical question.

Post by Reliant121 »

Just posing a question. If we pose 2 theoretical positions..

Federation at war with the Romulan Star empire.

Federation at war with Klingon Empire.

Which one would be more costly? The klingons have higher ferocity and higher numbers but if the Romulan's actually get into a fight they have a decided advantage in superior tactics...so which would inflict the most damage?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Back to the old avatar?

Well, firstly, the correct term is "hypothetical", rather than "theoretical". :)

Secondly, the Klingons would easily cause more damage, and could even come close to bringing down the Federation, depending on when the war breaks out.
The Klingons have larger territory, greater industrial capacity, a larger fleet, more combat-orientated and better designed vessels and a lot of experience in warfare. The Romulan D'Derix has proven to be inferior to a Galaxy class starship. I dread to think what kind of havoc an Akira or, gods forbid, a Sovereign would wreak on the Romulans.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The Klingons would probably fight to the last man. So expecte huge casulties. where as the Romulans would surrender as soon as they would realize that they would lose.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The Klingons would probably fight to the last man. So expecte huge casulties. where as the Romulans would surrender as soon as they would realize that they would lose.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Don't forget that as of the 2340s the Klingon Empire was in a position where they could actually take on the Federation and win the war (Yesterday's Enterprise). Somehow I can't see the Romulans as that kind of threat. And while the relative balance of power may well have changed over the following decades, I can't imagine the Romulans made that much progress that fast.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Interesting....And thank you Rochey :?

and yes i am back to old avatar...the Sharlin was getting annoyingly blue
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I have to agree, and add tht in ship-to-ship or fleet actions the Klingons have exhibited fine tactical abilities, at least as much as the Romulans. It's only in personal combat that they take the "run forward until somebody shoots you" approach.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personally, I think the Romulan's reputation for cloak and dagger work is far overrated. Just what have we seen them do? And weren't the Tal Shiar tricked into attacking a decoy of the Founder's homeworld?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, The Romulans do have the Scimitar-class ship design at their desposal. It had the E-E against the ropes and barely had a scratch on it when Shinzon decided to be an idiot.

The Klingons tend to run at people until they get shot, and even the Federation is smarter then that. Most of the time at least.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, The Romulans do have the Scimitar-class ship design at their desposal. It had the E-E against the ropes and barely had a scratch on it when Shinzon decided to be an idiot.
True, though the resources require to build that thing must have been immense. At best, they'd probably only be able to field a handful of them, and that's if they disregard building other ships almost completely, which would get picked off one by one by Federation fleets.
The Klingons tend to run at people until they get shot, and even the Federation is smarter then that. Most of the time at least.
In ground combat? Yes.
In space combat? Nope.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Do the Romulans have the capabilities to make another Scimitar?
Do they even have the designs of it? It was made by Remans.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite a good point. The plans to it may well have been lost when the Scimitar went up.
The problems with building these things I already pointed out.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry, I was typing when you posted. :lol: :lol:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No problem. :)
Though it's a major point, and deserves to be hammered in again.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

stitch626 wrote:Do the Romulans have the capabilities to make another Scimitar?
Do they even have the designs of it? It was made by Remans.
No it wasn't. That's silly. How could a species that was basically enslaved by the Romulans suddenly build one of the most powerful ships in the Alpha Quadrent? It was probably built by the Romulans, and then Shinzon took it as his flagship when he overthrew the government.

And while the Scimitar's are expensive they may be worth it. Their sheilds were nocked down only 30% when the E-E ramed the Scimitar. So it would take about 3 or 4 times as much fire power to take down the sheilds, and even then you're assuming they've already knocked out the cloak.

The Scimitar could sneak in under cloak and do some severe damage without decloaking. In the right hands, a handful of these ships could wipe out entire fleets and take minimal damage. Just keep clones away from them. :P