Rogue Borg

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Rogue Borg

Post by Bryan Moore »

Are there any explanation as to what happened to the rogue Borg after Descent? Clearly the whole collective didn't lose its identity, which we know thanks to Voyager, First Contact, etc. Any explanation in any books for this?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dont think it was mentioned on show but maybe in books.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I wouldn't say there was much more to tell about them - with their ship destroyed the only option open to them was to live out their lives on the planet. There was no evidence of any ships other than the one Crusher destroyed, and I don't see how they could set up all the industry required to support space flight with the limited equippment available to them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Re: Rogue Borg

Post by Duskofdead »

Bryan Moore wrote:Are there any explanation as to what happened to the rogue Borg after Descent? Clearly the whole collective didn't lose its identity, which we know thanks to Voyager, First Contact, etc. Any explanation in any books for this?
I think Trek pretty much abandoned them altogether because later it explored as a recurring major plot theme the recovery of a drone who has been liberated from the Collective. Descent gave the impression which the writers moved away from that Borg disconnected from the Collective would still think and act as Borg, but just with some individual traits popping up, rather than their pre-Borg identities re-emerging.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, the Drones from Descent and Seven of Nine are rather different situations.
One is a group of Drones, with all the stuff still in them, that have been cut off from the main group. It stands to reason that they'd form their own "min-collective" in lieu of being able to re-establish contact with the rest of the Borg. So there wasn't really any reason for them to act differently.
Seven of Nine, on the other hand, has had the majority of her Borg components removed, so she can't really be considered a Borg Drone anymore.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Rochey wrote:Well, the Drones from Descent and Seven of Nine are rather different situations.
One is a group of Drones, with all the stuff still in them, that have been cut off from the main group. It stands to reason that they'd form their own "min-collective" in lieu of being able to re-establish contact with the rest of the Borg. So there wasn't really any reason for them to act differently.
Seven of Nine, on the other hand, has had the majority of her Borg components removed, so she can't really be considered a Borg Drone anymore.
But Seven of Nine even when separated from the main collective had her individuality re-emerge, just as did all the others in her group. And if the drones in Descent were just in a "sub collective" so to speak... why did they assign names and start acting more like individuals?

The whole thing has some gaps in it regarding the whole process of group thinking and what happens when you disconnect the Borg hive mind. I think that is why the dropped the Descent drones and haven't done anything similar ever since. Those ones will probably always just be treated like a forgotten fluke.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrug*
It's been a long time since I watched Voyager. I only vaguely recall the episode in question, so I can't really answer.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Rochey wrote:*shrug*
It's been a long time since I watched Voyager. I only vaguely recall the episode in question, so I can't really answer.
The IMPRESSION (and it's really just a guess) that I got was that any collective of any size basically needs a dominant mind to direct it. Even though when Seven's group crashed on the planet and interference blocked connection with the "main collective", she was able to reassimilate them and tie them into a new collective- under her leadership basically. This was because she was so afraid of individuality that she fell back on identifying as Borg and wanted to force the others from accepting their lapse back into being individuals. It was my guess that this is why the Queen "favored" Seven.... Seven's dedication to being Borg in that instance pleased the collective in some way. (It was hinted in First Contact also that somehow the Borg like it more when someone embraces being Borg voluntarily, rather than through force.)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems reasonable. Again, I'd probably need to see the episode again, but you're hypothesis seems fairly good.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That seems to fit with the consensus regarding the borg Queen, as well. "First among equals," as it were.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer