Burn the witch!
21%

Total votes: 29
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Pulaski

Post by Bryan Moore »

So I know a lot of fans didn't like her much, said she was a bad fit, or simply that she wasn't Dr. Crusher. Is there anyone who is a fan?

I used to not like the character, but upon viewing the second season in full through Spike TV in the states over the last couple of years, and watching the whole second season over a couple of days about a month ago, I found her quite charming.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I didn't like the characters in general, but I don't think she diserves the rep she's aquired.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Meh. She's okay.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

She's to old. I want eye candy!
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I preferred Beverly to her. And he basic bigotry to Data pissed me off.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Bit of a McCoy wanna be if you ask me. McCoys bigotry towards Spock may have been just as bad, but there was mutual respect there.

Also, Spock gave as good as he got, if not better.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. Spock knew how to hit back. And they did call truces, like in Amok Time. "I would be honored, sir."

Pulaski... yeesh.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Pulaski was a definate improvement on S1 Crusher, and she was contrary enough to bring some conflict to Roddenberry's pristine utopia, which is always a good thing.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

She came off to me as a wannabe McCoy, too, though I prefer the real McCoy (cue rimshot)! Actually, Crusher was a much better looking improvement over the old Ms. Menopausal.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I agree with Mr. Whittington - it seemed that they played up the "defiance of the captain" angle too much, without the humanizing influence of McCoy's passion or his friendship with Kirk.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I'm not a big fan of Crusher but I hated Pulaski.

As was said above her dislike of Data, even mispronouncing his name and not even caring about it, struck me as foolish, surely someone who is in Starfleet, whose mission is to seek out new life would have a greater acceptance, even McCoy showed signs that he liked Spock when pressed.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've never been able to put my finger on it before, but that's exactly it. Pulaski had all the hard nosed "argue with anybody regardless for rank" aspects that McCoy had... but she never had the warmth, the friendship, that McCoy had with Kirk. So her arguments came over as shrill and nasty.

One thing that bothered me about her was... I think it was Pen Pals. She was going on about Wesley and said something about "are we treating him like a young officer, or like a boy who we are responsible for?" And I just thought 'well excuse me lady, but nobody made YOU responsible for any such thing!" Crusher handed over her parental duties to the E-D senior officers, individually. Personally I'd be pissed off if I handed my kid over to some people and then found that they were sharing parental duties with others I hadn't vetted.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I've never been able to put my finger on it before, but that's exactly it. Pulaski had all the hard nosed "argue with anybody regardless for rank" aspects that McCoy had... but she never had the warmth, the friendship, that McCoy had with Kirk. So her arguments came over as shrill and nasty.
I found her arguments to be shrilly, but charmingly so. I also found her warmth to develop throughout the season. I believe if she had time to play the character more, the warmth would have come through. There were some very interesting moments, including her respect for Worf's feelings in his chicken pox, her interactions with Sarjenka, her care for Picard. I never quite found her cold, save for a few moments.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Grumpy old cow who looked like my Grandmother. I say we steal her, hop into the B5 universe and feed her to a Vorlon.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

The "McCoy in a skirt" thing gave the the producers the opportunity to use stories and plot elements from the aborted Phase II series with a little retooling (McCoy/Spock interaction becoming Pulaski/Data). Having seen the episodes a few months back, the character doesn't really grate on me too badly, and even injects a very slight dose of needed misantrophy into the USS Stepford crew.
Back in the 'eighties, when I had a slight schoolboy Crusher crush (please forgive the awful pun) I thought the replacement of the MILF doctor (though that term hadn't been invented yet) was criminal.....