Generations - battle reedit

The Next Generation

Generations - battle reedit

Postby bladela » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/07/07/star-trek-generations-space-battle-fan-edit/
Star Trek Fan Edits Generations Space Battle to Make More Sense


To me it still make far more sense this one :



:D
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby McAvoy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Saw this a few days ago. It does feel better paced.

Though to be honest, I'd like to see a fan made redo of the fight but instead of some old Bird of Prey but a Vorcha class ship.

Instead of the Duras sisters concerned because they were outgunned by the Enterprise but rather their ship is more evenly matched with the Enterprise and not clear on the final outcome. So they do as in the movie and able to fire through their shields and inflict significant damage to the Enterprise. Perhaps cripple one of the nacelles, maybe a near direct hit to the secondary hull etc. Worf states that the Vorcha is a mark 1 original Vorcha not upgraded to fix the same issue as in the actual movie in that you can trigger the cloaking device.

But instead of one torpedo, the Enterprise fires all weapons phasers and several torpedoes when the Vorcha class ship cloaks.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 am
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby Graham Kennedy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:00 am

McAvoy wrote:Saw this a few days ago. It does feel better paced.

Though to be honest, I'd like to see a fan made redo of the fight but instead of some old Bird of Prey but a Vorcha class ship.

Instead of the Duras sisters concerned because they were outgunned by the Enterprise but rather their ship is more evenly matched with the Enterprise and not clear on the final outcome. So they do as in the movie and able to fire through their shields and inflict significant damage to the Enterprise. Perhaps cripple one of the nacelles, maybe a near direct hit to the secondary hull etc. Worf states that the Vorcha is a mark 1 original Vorcha not upgraded to fix the same issue as in the actual movie in that you can trigger the cloaking device.

But instead of one torpedo, the Enterprise fires all weapons phasers and several torpedoes when the Vorcha class ship cloaks.

Couldn't agree more with most of this.

Worth noting, one of the BoP shots does actually hit a nacelle. Another seems to hit the main impulse engine, though it's not clear.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby McAvoy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:47 am

Yeah in the movie the BoP did hit the nacelle and the back og the nacelle. They did hit the secondary hull too.

My idea is that the Enterprise is extremely damaged and you have no doubt that even aftwards the ship is in danger still.

I'd at least want to see the Enterprise fire at least more than one phaser. Even with shields down you would think the ship can still deliver alot of damage. Hell we have seen it in the TV show.

That's just the battle. I would have changed the movie around so that maybe the planet they are on is actually inhabited.

Hell you could make the movie about life or heaven. Like the ribbon destroys planets but takes the living with it in a everlasting state of happiness. So do you allow a whole planet to be destroyed because they will still go to a better place or save them?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 am
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby bladela » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 pm

I keep my idea (not a movie, but pretending it's a real situation) that Geordie's viewer was not such a big advantage, a random remodulation of the shields (which Worf or Data would be plausible to deal with) would have to make up for it , if (temporarily) it worked with the Borg.

In any case at the end of the comparison the secondary section was certainly very damaged, it is also true that with impulse engines the disk section should have been several thousand kilometers in a few seconds, out of reach of the planet and of the explosion, but the slowness at impulse ships is quite a constant in these situations...just think of the battle of the mutara nebula, two minutes to cover two thousand kilometers ...
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby AlexMcpherson79 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 pm

The impulse engines work (or dont work) at speed of plot - its why the ship stops when the engines are turned 'off' too.
AlexMcpherson79
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 pm

McAvoy wrote:Saw this a few days ago. It does feel better paced.

Though to be honest, I'd like to see a fan made redo of the fight but instead of some old Bird of Prey but a Vorcha class ship.

Instead of the Duras sisters concerned because they were outgunned by the Enterprise but rather their ship is more evenly matched with the Enterprise and not clear on the final outcome. So they do as in the movie and able to fire through their shields and inflict significant damage to the Enterprise. Perhaps cripple one of the nacelles, maybe a near direct hit to the secondary hull etc. Worf states that the Vorcha is a mark 1 original Vorcha not upgraded to fix the same issue as in the actual movie in that you can trigger the cloaking device.

But instead of one torpedo, the Enterprise fires all weapons phasers and several torpedoes when the Vorcha class ship cloaks.

As Graham said, couldn't agree more. This would make the fight a lot more even and plausible for the Enterprise to take heavy damage.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 11703
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby Coalition » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:00 am

Or just have the sisters read off the frequency and say "Pass it on to the Captains and tell them 'happy hunting'". Two Vorchas de-cloak and open fire

Basically remind people that Klingons can cloak, and just because you can only see one ship, doesn't mean there is only one ship
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:34 am
Location: Georgia, United States

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby McAvoy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Coalition wrote:Or just have the sisters read off the frequency and say "Pass it on to the Captains and tell them 'happy hunting'". Two Vorchas de-cloak and open fire

Basically remind people that Klingons can cloak, and just because you can only see one ship, doesn't mean there is only one ship


I think that might be too many ships for the Enterprise to deal with without shields. Or even with shields.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 am
Location: East Windsor, NJ

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby AlexMcpherson79 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 pm

"doesn't mean there is only one ship"
The problem with That plan, is that the Sisters are meant to be basically rogue with only a few people, hence why 1) it's an older bird of prey, and 2) the only ones...

"I think that might be too many ships for the Enterprise to deal with-"
Nope says the Dominion War...

... Did the show ever actually depict a full-on fight that wasn't against the borg? The only image that comes to mind is Ent Vs TWO Romulan D'Deridex Warbirds and was supported by those three humongous Klingon Birds of Prey ships (I think here labels them as D'Tai).

... and now I'm imagining if the show was remade to be basically the same (same scripts mostly, changes being just touching up errors/the like type) but with some episodes, ahem, erased, and some new ones in the same spirit that actually tackles their characters respectfully, like giving Doctor Crusher something to do that makes sense, actually utilize Troi or make her out to be not actually all that 'powerful' of an empath (so never ever 'counsellor, can you sense them even though you're right here and they're all the way over there at the limits of our ships weapons' 'yes captain, they are hiding something.' more like 'Am I crazy for suspecting them of something?' 'It's only paranoia if they're not actually out to get you, Captain'. .'but, I don't know if they are or not-')
And all 'Exterior shots' gets a full reworking to maintain intended-design scaling etc/etc, and give a proper treatment for battles. Like, what Star Trek would look like if the CG guys behind most/all of BSG's battlescenes were right there doing battle scenes.
AlexMcpherson79
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: Generations - battle reedit

Postby McAvoy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:06 pm

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:"doesn't mean there is only one ship"
The problem with That plan, is that the Sisters are meant to be basically rogue with only a few people, hence why 1) it's an older bird of prey, and 2) the only ones...

"I think that might be too many ships for the Enterprise to deal with-"
Nope says the Dominion War...

... Did the show ever actually depict a full-on fight that wasn't against the borg? The only image that comes to mind is Ent Vs TWO Romulan D'Deridex Warbirds and was supported by those three humongous Klingon Birds of Prey ships (I think here labels them as D'Tai).

... and now I'm imagining if the show was remade to be basically the same (same scripts mostly, changes being just touching up errors/the like type) but with some episodes, ahem, erased, and some new ones in the same spirit that actually tackles their characters respectfully, like giving Doctor Crusher something to do that makes sense, actually utilize Troi or make her out to be not actually all that 'powerful' of an empath (so never ever 'counsellor, can you sense them even though you're right here and they're all the way over there at the limits of our ships weapons' 'yes captain, they are hiding something.' more like 'Am I crazy for suspecting them of something?' 'It's only paranoia if they're not actually out to get you, Captain'. .'but, I don't know if they are or not-')
And all 'Exterior shots' gets a full reworking to maintain intended-design scaling etc/etc, and give a proper treatment for battles. Like, what Star Trek would look like if the CG guys behind most/all of BSG's battlescenes were right there doing battle scenes.


Three ships versus the Enterprise. One BoP and two Vorchas. A Vorcha was always presumed to be the near equal to a Galaxy class ship.

That and in the Dominion War we never really saw a Galaxy by herself take on more than one ship at a time. There was always other support ships near by.

Especially if the E-D doesn't have shields.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 am
Location: East Windsor, NJ


Return to TNG

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest