"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Criminally underrated movies STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTU

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hell yes. Love that movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't think it was ever under rated or over rated.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

always considered it a good movie ... but not exceptional
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote:always considered it a good movie ... but not exceptional
I honestly think it has the best visual effects of the original movies. But that is about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It was always a good film, but known for being too slow. In fact the nickname for it at the time as was "The Slow Motion Picture". That said the directors cut was almost the same length and felt so much more snappy. I think they just run out of editing time.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:It was always a good film, but known for being too slow. In fact the nickname for it at the time as was "The Slow Motion Picture". That said the directors cut was almost the same length and felt so much more snappy. I think they just run out of editing time.
They did. They were literally shipping prints that were still wet out to the theatres.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well I still hate this movie and will fight anyone on it! :)

Its just boring, I think I remember someone saying it was a episode turned into a Movie? Totally believe that as it could be an hour shorter and be a better film.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There are issues with the movie too. Like no one trusting Spock when it came to V'Ger. The uniforms, sets etc.

The pacing sucks, alot of scenes of actors not really doing anything and they are drawn out. The whole Klingon scene could have definitely been sped up for example.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's a great video floating around somewhere where the cast of Trek 09 are all asked what their favourite Star Trek movie is, and they all say Wrath of Khan. And in most cases it's clear that they don't really have one, but some PR guy knows that fans love Wrath of Khan so they've been told to say that. Then it gets to Karl Urban and he says "Star Trek The Motion Picture". And he just starts going on about how philosophical it is, and how it explores issues of what it means to be Human and where evolution might ultimately take us... and it's so obvious that he actually knows what he's talking about and really does love this film. The look on Simon Pegg's face is priceless.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I’m surprised they didn’t say First Contact, a fan favourite and a bit more recent.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:I’m surprised they didn’t say First Contact, a fan favourite and a bit more recent.
Their movie was a soft reboot of TOS, so of course they'll be told to pick a TOS movie.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:There's a great video floating around somewhere where the cast of Trek 09 are all asked what their favourite Star Trek movie is, and they all say Wrath of Khan. And in most cases it's clear that they don't really have one, but some PR guy knows that fans love Wrath of Khan so they've been told to say that. Then it gets to Karl Urban and he says "Star Trek The Motion Picture". And he just starts going on about how philosophical it is, and how it explores issues of what it means to be Human and where evolution might ultimately take us... and it's so obvious that he actually knows what he's talking about and really does love this film. The look on Simon Pegg's face is priceless.

Two things, it doesn't surprise me Karl Urban would be a closetTrekkie. And two, need to find this video.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:There's a great video floating around somewhere where the cast of Trek 09 are all asked what their favourite Star Trek movie is, and they all say Wrath of Khan. And in most cases it's clear that they don't really have one, but some PR guy knows that fans love Wrath of Khan so they've been told to say that. Then it gets to Karl Urban and he says "Star Trek The Motion Picture". And he just starts going on about how philosophical it is, and how it explores issues of what it means to be Human and where evolution might ultimately take us... and it's so obvious that he actually knows what he's talking about and really does love this film. The look on Simon Pegg's face is priceless.

Two things, it doesn't surprise me Karl Urban would be a closetTrekkie. And two, need to find this video.
https://youtu.be/NKOho71qX0c?t=293
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

https://youtu.be/NKOho71qX0c?t=293
Yes! Thank you! I love how Pegg's expression is like "Shit, I just said the obvious thing and now he's giving us a thesis on all the great things about the Motion Picture... I'm being so out-geeked here!"