Who Mourns for Adonais

The Original Series
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Who Mourns for Adonais

Post by Monroe »

Just watched this on Netflix. Great episode, reminded me a lot of Star Gate. I got the impression though, especially there at the end, that the Gods didn't die, they just moved on to another dimension or realm. I mean, it makes no sense for worship to feed an alien and at the end of the episode, Apollo apologies that he was wrong and Athena, Zeus, etc. were right, that it was time to move on. To me that reminded me of those sci-fis like Babylon 5 where the aliens move realms when their time in the mortal plane has come to an end.

So do you think the Gods all died or transferred realities / dimensions to a 'higher state'?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Who Mourns for Adonais

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd never thought of it that way. The way he describes it is "She stood in front of the temple and spread herself upon the wind, thinner and thinner, until only the wind remained." But Apollo did tend to use very poetic and imprecise language. I can certainly believe that his description was really referring to some kind of move to another dimension.

Or perhaps, a different kind of existence within our own dimension. Imagine spreading yourself out so far that solar systems are like atoms; existing on a scale so vast that you have no more interaction with a human than we would have with a flea-like thing so small that billions could live on a single electron. Something like that would fit what he described.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Considering the multitude of non-corporeal beings/species in Trek that apparently is an advanced stage in humanoid evolutionary development, I would imagine so.

ENT had an episode where the crew was getting taken over by non-corporeal beings who still needed an atmosphere but couldn't physically fix their ship they were stuck on. So different stages I guess.

Of course Q is probably the most advanced species we have seen going down that path. Q even said that humans could eventually become like the Q.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like the idea of relating it to Q. It could be that these powerful aliens were ascending and Apollo was the last one to make the leap. He was still hanging onto the old days of mortals worshiping him, whereas all is friends and family traveled ahead of him into a higher state of being.

I was thinking about it some more, Apollo didn't want the Vulcan to come because Spock reminded him of Pan. In mythology, Pan and Elves are pretty similar, and we know Vulcans look like Elves. We never see it in Trek, but I do wonder if originally there was a plan to have a more festive, emotional Vulcan subrace. Kind of the opposite to the Romulans but friendlier like Pan or elves in Norse mythology. We see in TNG a proto-Vulcan race, so there could be other proto-Vulcans or Vulcan subraces out there. Makes me wonder if that was in a discarded script.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I always figured it was them moving onto another dimension, yeah.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I always got the impression that he was truly passing into nonexistence, but who am I to say?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer