Impuls speed how fast is it.

The Original Series
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Because they're the owners. They're the ones who authorise new material, and they're the ones who decide whether that new material should become part of the overall story of Star Trek, or simply a "what if" scenario.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

But as I've said before (or rather you), Roddenberry; the owner of ST, said that only TOS and 5 seasons of TNG is canon. If we are to use the definition of every owner, licence holder, creator, writer, and employee, there is no end. Even if we just used who was the single residing authority over ST - there have been more than one. If I were to buy the ST franchise tomorrow, would that mean I could then (even just for DITL's purposes) tell you, and everyone else, what counts as canon?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Yes - you own it, therefore you get to define it. Roddenberry's definition worked while he was alive, since he was the creator of Trek. These days it's Paramount. If you bought it off them it would be you.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:Yes - you own it, therefore you get to define it. Roddenberry's definition worked while he was alive, since he was the creator of Trek. These days it's Paramount. If you bought it off them it would be you.
I think that is where we disagree then. I find it absurd that anyone who had over "x" amount of money can not only define what is future canon, but also what is in the past. If I just bought the franchise, and then made a carbon copy of Lord of the Rings films, called them Star Trek, and said its canon - you think its canon? Just because someone owns something doesn't mean they can define canon for it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Yes they can, because that's what canon is - the "reality" of a given fictional universe as defined by the owners of the rights to that fictional universe.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Since when is it as defined by the owners? Canon must be done on an individual basis. But for debate purposes, there must still be a canon that goes across the board, but the problem is deciding on this 'across the board' canon, and neither is it in the 10 commandments that the owners decide this 'across the board' canon, or is it anyway universal that owners canon is the canon used for debates.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

But the very definition of the word "canon" (not in the ecclesiastical sense) is "what the franchise owners define as in-universe reality, as opposed to unauthorized speculation." They get to decide what's canon, because their authority to decide is part of what canon means.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Thorin wrote:Since when is it as defined by the owners?
Since they own it and produce it, and therefore define it.
Canon must be done on an individual basis.
Why?
But for debate purposes, there must still be a canon that goes across the board,
Not just for this board, but for all debates, or there is no common ground. Can you imagine the confusion if, for example, DITL, SB.com, and SDN all used different definitions of canon.
but the problem is deciding on this 'across the board' canon, and neither is it in the 10 commandments that the owners decide this 'across the board' canon, or is it anyway universal that owners canon is the canon used for debates.
It is indeed universal that the owners' definition of canon is the one used for debates. The only problems that arise are when the owners do not define canon, and so arguments come up regarding the admissibility of evidence. This does not apply to Star Trek.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fun new example

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Cruising a blog I found this example of impulse speed :

In "Drive", the new Delta Flyer comes to a stop "less than a million kilometers" from the finish line where Voyager is waiting. They realise that the ship is rigged to explode and will detonate in "less than a minute".

They then go to a nearby nebula and dump the rigged warp core, then head far enough away to survive the blast.

Voyager is rocked by the explosion, which Tuvok reports was "approximately 1.2 million kilometers from here".

So the Delta Flyer II covered a distance from less than a million km to 1.2 million km, from a standing start, in less than a minute - and with time in hand to escape the blast itself, to boot.

The minimum average speed for this trip is 3,333 km/s = 1.1% lightspeed.

If you assumed constant acceleration over the whole trip, then the minimum acceleration is 111,111 m/s/s - over 100 km/s/s, or about 11,000 gees. It would be doing 6666 km/s when it got there = 2.2% c. At that acceleration you would be up to 25% c within less than 12 minutes.

And that is assuming that "less than a minute" means one minute, and ignoring the fact that the flyer would need time to escape. Realistically you can probably almost double those figures at a minimum.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Thorin wrote:But as I've said before (or rather you), Roddenberry; the owner of ST, said that only TOS and 5 seasons of TNG is canon. If we are to use the definition of every owner, licence holder, creator, writer, and employee, there is no end. Even if we just used who was the single residing authority over ST - there have been more than one. If I were to buy the ST franchise tomorrow, would that mean I could then (even just for DITL's purposes) tell you, and everyone else, what counts as canon?
Roddenberry never owned Trek, he sold it to the studio which produced it and he stayed on as a producer (with a limited say in TOS) and then again with TNG (with greater control). Once he sold it, the studio could come in at anytime and override what he was doing (I don't know if that ever happened with him but UPN did it with VOY). His statement is basically just ammo to piss people off at this point, Paramount owns Trek and if they want to claim that the official canon consists of only Enterprise than they can. That doesn't mean you can't have a personal canon, which many do but for debates you should stick to official canon. Unless your on a board that allows you to define canon at the OP (which some do).
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

So was it UPN that led to Voyager's unsuccess?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:So was it UPN that led to Voyager's unsuccess?
No it was mostly B&B and the writing team, UPN did however step in from time to time and say "you will include this in an episode".

They did it with ENT as well, there was a transporter on Enterprise because the studio demanded it. In fact they wanted as many familiar things from previous Trek in there as possible.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ah. So there's plenty of blame to be had for UPN as well as B & B.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Ah. So there's plenty of blame to be had for UPN as well as B & B.
For ENT yes, less so for VOY.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They did it with ENT as well, there was a transporter on Enterprise because the studio demanded it. In fact they wanted as many familiar things from previous Trek in there as possible.
Uh, did they not grasp the concept that it was meant to be a prequal? As in, a lot of this stuff is only being thought up at that point?
Morons.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"