Gary Seven

The Original Series
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gary Seven

Post by Meste17 »

So I read on the Memory Alpha article about Assignment Earth and it kind of intrigued me something fierce. I wonder what might have happened if Gary Seven did have his own show were it picked up like Gene Roddenberry himself had intended.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Gary Seven

Post by Bryan Moore »

Meste17 wrote:So I read on the Memory Alpha article about Assignment Earth and it kind of intrigued me something fierce. I wonder what might have happened if Gary Seven did have his own show were it picked up like Gene Roddenberry himself had intended.
Greg Cox's pair of "Eugenics Wars" novels from 2001 and 2002 use Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln as the primary points of perspective for the rise and fall of Khan, to great effect, in my humble opinion.

The idea of extraterrestrial, superhuman, "watchers" of Earth is a great plot device, when used correctly, which in this case was very well done. I'm sure the Gary Seven series would have suffered from the typical late-60's and early-70's limitations as did any other series. With modern writing and production, I could see this being done quite effectively.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Meste17 wrote:So I read on the Memory Alpha article about Assignment Earth and it kind of intrigued me something fierce. I wonder what might have happened if Gary Seven did have his own show were it picked up like Gene Roddenberry himself had intended.
Greg Cox's pair of "Eugenics Wars" novels from 2001 and 2002 use Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln as the primary points of perspective for the rise and fall of Khan, to great effect, in my humble opinion.

The idea of extraterrestrial, superhuman, "watchers" of Earth is a great plot device, when used correctly, which in this case was very well done. I'm sure the Gary Seven series would have suffered from the typical late-60's and early-70's limitations as did any other series. With modern writing and production, I could see this being done quite effectively.
I agree. I could actually see Paramount picking up a contract on this and making this as a spinoff series of tv and movies to Star Trek. Like how the recent Fantastic Beasts movie is to the Harry Potter series, or like the Rogue One movie to Star Wars.

That being said, I see the following ideas in my head:
Ocean Quest or Trek (not sure about the title): a series of adventures much like the original Star Trek and the Next Generation, but with the Enterprise on the seas of Earth like in actual history, such as the Revolutionary War Enterprise or the famous USS Enterprise CV-6.
Assignment Aegis: the idea we were just discussing previously with Gary Seven.
Time Trek or Quest (again not sure about the title): an idea that expands on the time travelers from the 29th century, such as Captain Braxton and the UTS Aeon/USS Relativity (NCV-474439-G).
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

What about it? Any takers here?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bryan Moore wrote:

I've read those, too. Love them. :)
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Thank you. What is your take on this idea Striker? :)
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Well another point: Maybe Gary Seven can be sort of like a James Bond-esque kind of secret agent. A cross between said character and Star Trek. The only difference is that he wouldn't be traveling just to different places but different times as well, like for example he would go back in time to ancient Egypt to prevent the assassination of Cleopatra or to Rome to stop evil agents from preventing the downfall of the Roman Empire ....
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Meste17 wrote:Thank you. What is your take on this idea Striker? :)
I think a Gary Seven series would've been cool. He could've gotten into all sorts of adventures, maybe even something like in the Khan Singh duology.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Interestingly, Khan and his guys pretty much have to have been born right about the late 60s or early 70s if they were going to be old enough to seize power in the 90s.

So I always thought that one of Gary 7's major missions would have to be to try and limit the rise of the Eugenics people. I picture them as a shadowy secret organisation, working in hidden facilities to create a secret Superman army. Gary 7 would be working to stop them, or expose them to the world before it was too late. Thats a very James Bond kind of villain plot too, so it works for that.

I don't know that he could time travel, though. I don't remember seeing anything that hinted at that in the episode.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Interestingly, Khan and his guys pretty much have to have been born right about the late 60s or early 70s if they were going to be old enough to seize power in the 90s.

So I always thought that one of Gary 7's major missions would have to be to try and limit the rise of the Eugenics people. I picture them as a shadowy secret organisation, working in hidden facilities to create a secret Superman army. Gary 7 would be working to stop them, or expose them to the world before it was too late. Thats a very James Bond kind of villain plot too, so it works for that.

I don't know that he could time travel, though. I don't remember seeing anything that hinted at that in the episode.
Basically the point of the books! I don't recall a specific time travel ability, though - still cool.

IIRC, the character was intentionally modeled with a Bond-like character in mind - forget which book I got that out of, but I'm pretty sure there was some inspiration there.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Interestingly, Khan and his guys pretty much have to have been born right about the late 60s or early 70s if they were going to be old enough to seize power in the 90s.

Basically the point of the books! I don't recall a specific time travel ability, though - still cool.

IIRC, the character was intentionally modeled with a Bond-like character in mind - forget which book I got that out of, but I'm pretty sure there was some inspiration there.
Basically the point! Turn the books into the movies in a way! :D