4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Not as long as I'm around! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You say all this but the other races Except perhaps The Romulans and the Bajorans make just as many stupid mistakes.
True, but that doesn't change the fact that Starfleet is stupid. Having other races follow their example just increases the problem.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If you gave the Romulans the numbers and resources of the Federation, The Alpha quadrant would be Romulan within a Year.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's a fairly likely possibility.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

*Becomes smug with Pride*
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, the Romulans are one of the few races in the galaxy who appear to have a brain.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

:lol:
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:Well, the Romulans are one of the few races in the galaxy who appear to have a brain.
Rochey, I'll give you time to edit that :wink:
They had one tiny, minor, insignificant flaw. They only had 1 type of ship for some 30 years!
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

A fact that was changing. And we dont know that. We only know that they SHOWED only one design for 30 years. considering the D'deradix class was also a Political statement as well as a Warship, they might not be so ready to show the lesser ships because they wanted to maintain they're image.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Rochey, I'll give you time to edit that :wink:
They had one tiny, minor, insignificant flaw. They only had 1 type of ship for some 30 years!
Now now, I didn't say how smart a brain it was. Just that they had a brain. :wink:
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Reliant121 wrote:A fact that was changing. And we dont know that. We only know that they SHOWED only one design for 30 years. considering the D'deradix class was also a Political statement as well as a Warship, they might not be so ready to show the lesser ships because they wanted to maintain they're image.
Oh come on, of course they only had the Warbird. Even entire fleets (such as those who came along with Cardassians/Feds in DS9) only had Warbirds in. Like they'd have other ships and not use them during wartime. What'd be the point in building smaller ships, just to not use them ever, even in wartime, just to make yourself look to have bigger ships (which isn't so good if you don't have enough).
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Warbird wasn't their only design, it was simply their only heavy combat design - they also had scout and science ships (seen in "The Defector" and "The Next Phase") for noncombat duties. Another way in which they're better than the Feds, since they clearly understand the principle of building single-purpose ships.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:The Warbird wasn't their only design, it was simply their only heavy combat design - they also had scout and science ships (seen in "The Defector" and "The Next Phase") for noncombat duties. Another way in which they're better than the Feds, since they clearly understand the principle of building single-purpose ships.
Indeed, but only building one type of single purpose ship is going a bit far! In terms of a militaristic look at the Romulans, they had only one ship that was capable of doing any damage. Thus they only had one type of ship that required countering. Can you imagine if the USA's navy only consisted of battleships? They're entire [immense] naval tonnage could be squashed by a relatively small aircraft or submarine compliment (in terms of tonnage/resources).
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A good point for surface forces, but for ships that derive their firepower and protection from pure energy it's less of a problem. The bigger a ship is the more power it can pump into its shields, and the better protected it will be - it doesn't have the weaknesses of weaker deck armour and an unarmoured underbelly that made battleship vulnerable. The major factor in determining what size to build a ship would be what threats they were intended to face - whether they need to be a ubiquitous presence or whether a relatively small core battle fleet is all that is required. The Romulans evidently decided on the latter.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.