WTF!!!???

The Original Series
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

WTF!!!???

Post by Mark »

The Changeling

So, as I'm typing this I'm enduring the threat of Nomad, the evil uber computer. Some things about this episode make no sense.

To begin with, the Enterprise's first encounter with Nomad has them getting bombarded with shots from Nomad equaling in power "90 Photon Torpedoes". The ships shields (which were tied directly into the warp engines granted) survived four direct hits. This would mean the Enterprise's shields could stand 360 Photon Torpedoes before failure??? They respond with a single Photon Torpedo in defense, and balk when it absorbs the energy. No additional torps are fired, no phasers, just one shot and then they hail it. Why didn't they hail it before shooting I wonder? Isn't that more Starfleet?

Then we have Uhura getting her mind wiped. She lost her knowledge, education, memories...everything. How the hell could the restore her to her functional duty level in less than anything less than (however many years old she is at this point). How would she remember her relationships with her friends and family?

And why did they insist on it undoing the upgrades to the engines? Kirk said undo the upgrade (57%), rather than having it upgrade the SIF as well.

Do you guys have similar issues with this or other episodes?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: WTF!!!???

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, a bit of a puzzler. Like how Nomad and the other probe combining somehow is 'seek out new life' + 'sterilize soil samples'= Seek out new life and sterilize if not perfect!

The hell?!
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

The engine alterations may have been dangerous to Human health.
Uhura must have been suffering from a really bad temporary amnesia.

Tangentially:
I find it personally disappointing that Humans don't suffer from severe migraines and uncontrollable vomiting after a mind meld.
I would also find it personally satisfying if, in the Mirror Universe, the Exocomps liberate Nomad from some locker in the ruins of Earth and begin a Cylon Republic founded amongst the ashes of the Evil Federation.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Do you suppose anyone ever built a Lore or Data in the alternate timeline?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Depends on when the Empire was overthrown. If it wasn't, maybe Data became the first of a line of shock troops for the Empire?
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Depends on when the Empire was overthrown. If it wasn't, maybe Data became the first of a line of shock troops for the Empire?
More than a Fistful of Datas, then...
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

An "armored fistful" of Datas?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Depends on when the Empire was overthrown. If it wasn't, maybe Data became the first of a line of shock troops for the Empire?
Have you been reading Starcrossed by any chance?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
Have you been reading Starcrossed by any chance?
Ah... the name sounds familiar, but it's not tripping any fuses in the old noggin. *Raps knuckle against head, eliciting a hollow sound* ;) Could you please elaborate?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Ah... the name sounds familiar, but it's not tripping any fuses in the old noggin. *Raps knuckle against head, eliciting a hollow sound* ;) Could you please elaborate?
A somewhat epic ST/SW crossover fanfic, which included S31 fielding its own fleet, manned by an army of Datas.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote: A somewhat epic ST/SW crossover fanfic, which included S31 fielding its own fleet, manned by an army of Datas.
Ah, thank you. And no, I haven't. Although it's a pretty keen idea, there.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That isn't the half of it. Linky