Spock almost a woman

The Original Series
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Spock almost a woman

Post by Lighthawk »

Though the "Star Trek" has been rebooted with a new sheen, make no mistake: Leonard Nimoy is Mr. Spock. But here's a twist: had things turned out the way series creator Gene Roddenberry intended them, the role would have been perhaps been cast as Ms. Spock.

In an interview with The Huffington Post, Nichelle Nichols revealed that she was the original Vulcan of Roddenberry's eye.

"They gave me a three-page script to read from that had three characters named Bones, Kirk and somebody called Spock, and they asked me if I would read for the role of Spock. When I looked at this great text, I said to myself, 'I'll take any one of these roles,' but I found the Spock character to be very interesting, and I asked them to tell me what she [Spock] was like."

As io9 points out, there was a female character, much like Spock, named Number One in an early iteration of the script; it was later cut and Spock was added, seemingly in its place.

Eventually, of course, Nichols would end up winning the role of Lieutenant Uhura, leading to what is largely considered the first interracial kiss on television, with William Shatner's Captain Kirk.

As for Spock, Nimoy said he got a call from his agent saying that Roddenberry, who produced a show he had already been on, wanted him for a role in another show he was working. He sent in an episode of "Dr. Kildare," in which, as he told Emmytvlegends.org, "he played a very quiet, shy guy who befriended a blind girl and quoted poetry to her, a very sensitive, nice character," which was the absolute opposite of what he had done on Roddenberry's show.

Then came a meeting in a studio with Roddenberry, and the rest is history. In the most recent iteration of the franchise, director JJ Abrams' films, Zachary Quinto plays Spock, to devastating effect, but after three seasons of orignal show, seven film starring roles and various other cameos, Nimoy will forever be the one true Spock.
Source

A rather interesting "what might have been" there. Wonder how such a change would have affected the interactions between the main three if they had dared to go that route.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Spock almost a woman

Post by kostmayer »

Lighthawk wrote:A rather interesting "what might have been" there. Wonder how such a change would have affected the interactions between the main three if they had dared to go that route.
Would have made Spock and Uhuru's relationship in Star Trek more interesting.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And by interesting we mean hot.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I had heard this but I thought it was just a rumour.
ImageImage
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I don't think a female would have fit in that three person dynamic very well.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Oh, I'm not so sure. A female could have made it interesting.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

In the context of the 60's? Yeah veeerrrrry interesting if it wasn't cut after a episode or two.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The feel of the series would be completely different if Spock were a female character. Kirk, Bones, and Spock are three guys who've been through thick and thin together. As a result, their friendship is strengthened to the point of brotherhood. I'm not saying that Kirk and Bones wouldn't have felt a sisterly connection if Spock were a woman. But we might have seen something more akin to romance bloom on screen instead.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, one-sided, anyway. Not to say that it wouldn't have worked - there certainly was a tension of unrequited feelings between Pike and his Number One - but it would have rendered impossible the dynamic that Roddenberry engendered between Kirk, Bones, and Spock. There would have been more typical drama between them, perhaps, but not the practical model of id-ego-superego that the three men had.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I actually think it would be really interesting to have a really close working relationship / friendship between a man and a woman and not include any sexual or romantic subtext at all. After all, where is it written that such attraction is inevitable? And it would make a nice change of pace from the "will-they-won't-they" pairings we see all the time.

Very much doubt that would have flown back in the 60s though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree it would've been nice to see something like that, but I doubt it would've happened that way given what we saw in the pilot.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yes, they sure did run with the whole "all the girls are gagging for the captain" meme with that one.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Yes, they sure did run with the whole "all the girls are gagging for the captain" meme with that one.
Yeap. Then later, with the "nurse is gagging for the single most inaccesible male on the ship" one.
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

And the comms officer in the newish film.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:And the comms officer in the newish film.
Do you mean Uhura? Long before that, she was involved in one of the most groundbreaking kisses in media history - Uhura and Kirk shared the first interracial kiss in TV history.
as Bull offed Custer