Speed of the Excelsior

The Original Series
Hacklehead
Crewman
Crewman

Re: Speed of the Excelsior

Post by Hacklehead »

Mikey wrote:The Me262 was a complete, abject failure compared to the Bf109, P-51, Supermarine Spitfire (any Mark,) or almost any other aircraft of WWII as judged by the only criterion that really matters - how much did it contribute. Yay, it had jet engines. Fat lot of good it did. Your original point was that there is no reason to introduce a new class if it did not include a significant increase in speed. Well, as has been mentioned there are MANY reasons to introduce a new class without a significant increase in speed... I would further add, based in part on your example, that there may be reasons to NOT introduce a class in which a significant increase in speed was a prime mover. Aside from the reason that Seafort mentioned - difficulty in integration with extant task groups or fleets - one must ask, "OK, so it's faster - but will it actually help?" As in your example of the Me262, it was a lot faster... but it did sweet F.A. for the war effort.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :)
Actually I said that there would have to be a significant increase in performance to justify a new class. Performance could mean 1 or more of any performance measure ( speed, firepower, size, cost , medical facilities, science labs, diplomatic facilities etc.) that is deemed important. The point being that in order to justify the design and building of a new class of ship a significant improvement must be realized or else you could just keep on building existing designs.

BTW the me262 was an overwhelming success compared to some of the projectes the Germans wasted resources on: the DORA rail gun, V3 , Maus tank etc.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hacklehead wrote:Actually I said that there would have to be a significant increase in performance to justify a new class. Performance could mean 1 or more of any performance measure ( speed, firepower, size, cost , medical facilities, science labs, diplomatic facilities etc.) that is deemed important.
Indeed, although you said something akin to "significantly better" in a response to a conversation specifically about speed. It is natural to infer that you referred to speed. If you were making a tangential general statement, then I agree to an extent.
Hacklehead wrote:BTW the me262 was an overwhelming success compared to some of the projectes the Germans wasted resources on: the DORA rail gun, V3 , Maus tank etc.
Yes, compared to some of those things it was successful. Compared to some of those things, BetaMax videocassettes are also successful.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:As in your example of the Me262, it was a lot faster... but it did sweet F.A. for the war effort.
Now now, it accomplished quite a lot - spending all those resources on it, especially given the efforts to add on some sort of ground attack role, probably shortened the whole war by a month or more! :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

touche. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann