A TOS Throwback

The Original Series
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

A TOS Throwback

Post by Victory is Life »

Gorn Vs Kirk, Minus the gunpowder, the outcome, BAM! discuss...

following quote taken from StarDestroyer BBS, a response to someone who called that scene the worst fight scene ever "Shatner vs a dinosaur should be called the best fight ever. But haters gotta hate."
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: A TOS Throwback

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I doubt Kirk would've won without the bamboo cannon.

I guess if he'd waited until the sun went down, and the place got down around freezing, he could've just bashed the Gorn repeatedly with a rock while it was immobile...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Assuming it wasn't endothermic. Remember, Gorn appear reptilian, but they're not from Earth.

Meh. Sooner or later, Kirk would have torn his shirt - at which point, it would've been all over for the Gorn.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:Assuming it wasn't endothermic. Remember, Gorn appear reptilian, but they're not from Earth.
Good point.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The problem with this question is that Kirk outthought his opponent, and thus won. The Gorn could just as easily made the same sort of weapon, but didn't....opting for a stone knife and using his natural strength. They don't like Kirks solution? Ok....but what are they looking for? Kirk and the Gorn going strictly hand to hand? Kirk had no chance to win that kind of encounter, so why fight it? He was fighting for his life and the lives of his crew.

But, as we've seen in other episodes Kirk can improvise. Take away the gunpowder, and he could have made a bow and arrow. Unless that would be the next thing disallowed.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Making it strictly hand to hand, no weapons allowed, means that Kirk is screwed completely. The fight was very much of the brains versus brawn variety.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

A thought hit me. What are the odds that if the Gorn Captain killed Kirk, he would have spared the crew of the Enterprise?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hard to say. We know pretty much nothing about Gorn society, so it's difficult to tell how they'd treat the crew of the Enterprise after what occurred on the surface. Maybe they'd consider it the ultimate dishonour if their captain had destroyed the Enterprise after already killing its captain. Maybe they'd have blown the ship up to re-affirm the whole "this is our territory" thing. Maybe they'd have tried to board them and seize the E.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hard to say. We know pretty much nothing about Gorn society, so it's difficult to tell how they'd treat the crew of the Enterprise after what occurred on the surface. Maybe they'd consider it the ultimate dishonour if their captain had destroyed the Enterprise after already killing its captain. Maybe they'd have blown the ship up to re-affirm the whole "this is our territory" thing. Maybe they'd have tried to board them and seize the E.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And SG gets another triple this season. Folks, I think he's going for the record!

:P
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I think we should divide his post count my three, just for that.

Who am I kidding? I'm just jealous that he can have multiples..........
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I blame my internet connection. It's been acting funny for a while now.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:I blame my internet connection. It's been acting funny for a while now.
You haven't got a new modem by any chance? One with "made in France" on it? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Vive le erreur!