Spectre of the Gun

The Original Series
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Spectre of the Gun

Post by Sanehouse »

Why did Kirk approach the planet even after being told by its inhabitants not to? Usually I agree with decisions made by the Federation, but in this case... Doesn't the Federation usually preach tolerance, respect of other species' laws, and non-interference? I know Kirk had orders to make contact, but if he was told to leave, that should override Kirk's orders. Additionally, Kirk pulled out his phaser while on their planet and said "we will defend ourselves". So, first you ignore another species' wishes, establishing orbit around their planet anyways, then you threaten them when they show anger about it?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Spectre of the Gun

Post by Captain Seafort »

One of his moments of stupidity - Kirk isn't infallible, as this and the Reliant incident in particular demonstrate.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Indeed, Kirk's actions more often reflected a learning experience vs someone who just knew everything from birth.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

To be fair, we don't know much about Kirk's orders or the reasoning behind them. For all we know Admiral Dipshit may have said something like

"Captain, its imperitive you make contact with those people. Under no circumstances should you be disuaded. Do not take no for an answer."

Granted, I'm stretching......but I guess its possible.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sanehouse wrote:Why did Kirk approach the planet even after being told by its inhabitants not to? Usually I agree with decisions made by the Federation, but in this case... Doesn't the Federation usually preach tolerance, respect of other species' laws, and non-interference?
This is, apparently, an exception. No the only one we saw, either - Ambassador Fox had orders to contact Eminiar regardless of any warnings or the desire of the local government.
I know Kirk had orders to make contact, but if he was told to leave, that should override Kirk's orders.
Not really, no. He is a Starfleet officer and answerable to his chain of command. If his orders conflict with what the locals want then his duty is to follow his orders. And his orders were very clear : "We're to establish contact with the Melkotians at all costs."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Sanehouse wrote:Why did Kirk approach the planet even after being told by its inhabitants not to? Usually I agree with decisions made by the Federation, but in this case... Doesn't the Federation usually preach tolerance, respect of other species' laws, and non-interference?
This is, apparently, an exception. No the only one we saw, either - Ambassador Fox had orders to contact Eminiar regardless of any warnings or the desire of the local government.
The situation with Eminiar, though, was that people were being killed and starships being destroyed. I don't recall any reason like that with the Melkotians.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually the Federation had no idea there was a war of any kind going on between Eminiar and Vendikar, and the ship that was lost had gone there decades before. Their reason for pressing it was naked selfishness - they wanted a port in a strategic area.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...