Question regarding The Cage

The Original Series
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Question regarding The Cage

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry you didn't get the joke, I was referring to the illusion, not the actual rock which was quite blasted.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A fixed place defence weapon is a possibility I considered, but it doesn't really gel with the idea that you can't man the thing directly whilst it's firing. Unless it was meant to have some sort of turret housing that they didn't bother with on this occasion, as it is, it is just too open and exposed to be a serious weapon.

The possibility of a drill is a good one, but I still prefer the idea of it being one of the ship's cannon. It just appeals to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

GrahamKennedy wrote:A fixed place defence weapon is a possibility I considered, but it doesn't really gel with the idea that you can't man the thing directly whilst it's firing. Unless it was meant to have some sort of turret housing that they didn't bother with on this occasion, as it is, it is just too open and exposed to be a serious weapon.
Given its size, I'd always imagined it as a long-range weapon. Whoever was in charge of the transporters that day simply beamed it down too close to the target, and they couldn't be arsed moving it - hence the need to duck and cover.
GrahamKennedy wrote:The possibility of a drill is a good one, but I still prefer the idea of it being one of the ship's cannon. It just appeals to me.
It's an interesting possibility alright.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:A fixed place defence weapon is a possibility I considered, but it doesn't really gel with the idea that you can't man the thing directly whilst it's firing. Unless it was meant to have some sort of turret housing that they didn't bother with on this occasion, as it is, it is just too open and exposed to be a serious weapon.

The possibility of a drill is a good one, but I still prefer the idea of it being one of the ship's cannon. It just appeals to me.
It's a very Forbidden Planet-esque idea.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:It's a very Forbidden Planet-esque idea.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I suppose it could have been a "phase cannon". Or even something "MacGiver'd" for the instance, which would lead credence to GKs theory. Personally, like most people though, I always assumed it was a drill for collecting deep core or mineral samples. Remember, in TOS they actually EXPLORED.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Remember, in TOS they actually EXPLORED.
They also explored in warships, not AMCs. Carrying heavy infantry weapons wouldn't be out of character for the era.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Cpl Kendall wrote:

It's a very Forbidden Planet-esque idea.
And Forbidden Planet was one of the major inspirations for Star Trek...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yup. IIRC those guns they used to secure the perimeter around their cruiser where dismounted main batteries.

Man, I've got to get that on DVD.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
And Forbidden Planet was one of the major inspirations for Star Trek...
Since we are talking about The Cage, can somebody explain to me why landing on Telos IV is Starfleet's only capital offense?

I mean, I read about Telos IV. I checked Memory Alpha's article about it. Seems it was an ancient civilization of people who destroyed themselves with high technology, and they can't really get their old stuff working without external support. So when they get the chance, they try to capture people and use their desires to fuel their lotus-eater machines... or something like that.

How does that warrant a DEATH warrant?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've got to agree with you there. It seems quite over the top. Maybe they just don't want to risk those bastards getting off the planet with those powers?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:I've got to agree with you there. It seems quite over the top. Maybe they just don't want to risk those bastards getting off the planet with those powers?
The Federation have met dozens of more dangerous species that have been let lose on the Galaxy, that we know of.

Why a special case for the Telosians? I mean, why not even have diplomatic relations with them?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, remember it was years before TOS. I can't answer that question for lack of information. That's just my best guess. At that point, they hadn't MET any of the uber powerful races.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:Well, remember it was years before TOS. I can't answer that question for lack of information. That's just my best guess. At that point, they hadn't MET any of the uber powerful races.
I guess I can take that argument.

Still, I hope they have rescinded this policy. It's is quite silly.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I would imagine they did. It was stated it was the last death penalty on the books, likely having been forgotten.

I'm guessing it was changed before the E-nil got a refit.