SFDebris: The Final Frontier

The Original Series
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris: The Final Frontier

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:He said it could have been a three way tie, but this film got the "bonus points" for the spot. Also, if he's scaling them versus the other 9, wouldn't the scale be 1-10 as a 0-10 scale makes it seem like 11 things are being compared?
11 films are being compared - the point of these reviews is to lead up to neoTrek.

To those trumpeting Nemesis, TFF beats it hands down, thanks to having some of the best scenes in Trek amid the dross.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:He said it could have been a three way tie, but this film got the "bonus points" for the spot. Also, if he's scaling them versus the other 9, wouldn't the scale be 1-10 as a 0-10 scale makes it seem like 11 things are being compared?
11 films are being compared - the point of these reviews is to lead up to neoTrek.

To those trumpeting Nemesis, TFF beats it hands down, thanks to having some of the best scenes in Trek amid the dross.
Ah, so he does intend to review nuTrek. Didn't know that, thanks.

As for me, I like Nemesis (do i realize in hindsight there are some plotholes big enough to fly the neoEnterprise through? Yes. Does it affect my enjoyment of the movie? No) but that's a debate neither side will win as it's opinion based, not fact based ;-) While I like it, I understand why most don't.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I've picked holes in Nemesis myself, but I still seem to find myself watching it whenever it is on, albeit in the background.

As for The Final Frontier, it did have a (very) few good parts. In paticular the campfire scene, and Spock standing up to the Klingon Ambassador.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

There is good in all things, even if it is merely a moment.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think he's ranking them, just rating them as usual so he doesn't need to do 0-10 to accommodate everything.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:I don't think he's ranking them, just rating them as usual so he doesn't need to do 0-10 to accommodate everything.
Well he has said they're scored relative to the other films. I just don't remember if he said "other 10" or "other 9"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Well he has said they're scored relative to the other films. I just don't remember if he said "other 10" or "other 9"
He has clips of STXI in his opening montage; I have no doubt that he's going to review it.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lazar wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:Well he has said they're scored relative to the other films. I just don't remember if he said "other 10" or "other 9"
He has clips of STXI in his opening montage; I have no doubt that he's going to review it.
He also outright stated in the intro to the TMP review that he's "going to review all eleven Trek movies" .
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Scored, not ranked.

He could give three of the movies all 5's for being perfectly average.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Tyyr wrote:He could give three of the movies all 5's for being perfectly average.
True - he uses the same 0-10 rating scale for the series, so it doesn't have anything to do with the number of items being compared.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I remember watching this movie in theaters on opening weekend when I was a kid. Spocks mysterious and never before mentioned half brother sounded like something from a bad soap opera even then. And I'm not even going to comment on the "Search for God" on a myserious planet :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. To me, "mailed in" sums up this one.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mark wrote:I remember watching this movie in theaters on opening weekend when I was a kid. Spocks mysterious and never before mentioned half brother sounded like something from a bad soap opera even then. And I'm not even going to comment on the "Search for God" on a myserious planet :roll:
My favorite thing is the fact that they can travel to the center of the Galaxy in 6 hours, and Sybok rubs it in by saying "We have traveled far!" Fakegod should have changed his face to the O RLY owl for that one.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But, you gotta admit....we did get ONE good line out of that movie.........

Kirk: "What does God need with a Starship?"

:wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I wonder if anyone at Starfleet Command asked him the same question in TMP when he demanded command of the Enterprise.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."