Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SFDebris Reviews "Space Seed."

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hmm. He makes a point about how he's not going to slate the special effects because it's what you expect from 60s TV... and then instead spends half the ep complaining about the set dressings, use of stunt doubles, etc - things that are just as much a product of their times (and he even says this himself regarding the doubles).

I'd far rather have seen him spend that time talking about the characters more. For instance this episode always impressed me most with Kirk inviting Khan to a dinner and then having his officers baiting him into revealing who he was. That's a wonderful moment, a scene where the normally "all ahead full" Kirk played a very cool and subtle mind game with a man allegedly much more intelligent than he is, and won. But his review more or less breezes past it.

I also thought he was a bit harsh on McGivers. He criticises her for falling in line with Khan's rather blunt seduction techniques... but the whole point of her character is that that strong, domineering type of man is exactly what she's always wanted. There ARE women like that, she was one, Khan saw it in her and used it to his own advantage.

Not one of his better reviews.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Hmm. He makes a point about how he's not going to slate the special effects because it's what you expect from 60s TV... and then instead spends half the ep complaining about the set dressings, use of stunt doubles, etc - things that are just as much a product of their times (and he even says this himself regarding the doubles).

I'd far rather have seen him spend that time talking about the characters more. For instance this episode always impressed me most with Kirk inviting Khan to a dinner and then having his officers baiting him into revealing who he was. That's a wonderful moment, a scene where the normally "all ahead full" Kirk played a very cool and subtle mind game with a man allegedly much more intelligent than he is, and won. But his review more or less breezes past it.

I also thought he was a bit harsh on McGivers. He criticises her for falling in line with Khan's rather blunt seduction techniques... but the whole point of her character is that that strong, domineering type of man is exactly what she's always wanted. There ARE women like that, she was one, Khan saw it in her and used it to his own advantage.

Not one of his better reviews.
This review felt rushed, but maybe I am influenced by the great 2 part review he did of Voyager's "Death Wish."
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I will say the dialogue in "the seduction scene" could have been better, but damned if he didn't manage to pull it off AND pull it off well.

For the record, Space Seed is one of my favorite TOS episodes.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

OKay I know I'm a guy and not the best judge of what makes a man desirable, but I can't see anything appealing in Khan.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:OKay I know I'm a guy and not the best judge of what makes a man desirable, but I can't see anything appealing in Khan.
The whole thing about Mcguyvers was that she desired a strong, dominating man.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That and the fact that he was brilliant.

Plus, the accent.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I was waiting for a "Rich Corinthian Leather," joke. He let me down.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:I was waiting for a "Rich Corinthian Leather," joke. He let me down.
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939