What is the 23rd Century Starfleet?

The Original Series
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What is the 23rd Century Starfleet?

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

You know, what are the other ships that they use besides the Connies back then? They have to control thousands of light years of space after all.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: What is the 23rd Century Starfleet?

Post by Lazar »

For the TOS era, the closest thing we've got to a canon fleet is the Franz Joseph designs.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've really got nothing to work on.

Personaly, I like to view the Miranda class as being the backbone of Starfleet as of that era. It was certainly capable enough.
The Connies would have played the role of battleship.
Presumably there were various smaller designs as well, in the form of destroyers and light cruisers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:You know, what are the other ships that they use besides the Connies back then? They have to control thousands of light years of space after all.
Short answer: we don't know. They probably used Oberths during the TOS era, given the apparent age of the Grissom, and Mirandas and Constellations started to fill out the fleet's lower order during the movie era, but that's about it.

TOS-R also showed the Antares-class ship a couple of times, and the Medusan ship, which appears to be a Starfleet design.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I wouldn't have been surprised to find some Daedalus class ships still in use as perhaps system patrol craft. And one brief screen shot in one of the movies canon-ified at least ONE of Joseph's designs.

Of course, according to Enterprise, we likely would have seen some modified Norway, Steamrunner, and Sabre class ships as part of the standard fleet :poke:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Lazar wrote:For the TOS era, the closest thing we've got to a canon fleet is the Franz Joseph designs.
I agree, the Franz Joseph designs are great imho. Also a place to look would be the starfleet battles universe which ultimatly spawned the starfleet command series of computer games.

Afaik this game design was developed between the series end and the first movie and leans heavily on the Franz Joseph designs but add a lot of details.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Personally I think the Franz Joseph "designs" amount to nothing more than a bunch of kitbashed Connies. Sure, they are nice enough as possible filler for the TOS era but their loss is no big deal to me.

I know it's totally non-canon but I still pretty much ignore Enterprise and go with the Starfleet Museum's interpretation of the Cochrane to TOS era.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the Joseph designs are more indicative of a a similar design philosophy, rather than kitbashed. Unfortunately, the whole idea of canon was created by Roddenberry to completely discredit Joseph's designs.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I could go with the philosophy idea if they weren't just a bunch of Connie pieces mixed and matched.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I could go with the philosophy idea if they weren't just a bunch of Connie pieces mixed and matched.
How many different styles of components would you expect a fledgling Starfleet to have in use?
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given that by the time of TOS it had been around for about a century quite a few.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm not saying that each ship should use identical components; but between the few classes that there are, I'd expect a similarity of appearance between them.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:I'm not saying that each ship should use identical components; but between the few classes that there are, I'd expect a similarity of appearance between them.
As would I. A similarity. Not a cabon copy.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

To an extent, identical components can be used - look at modern ships, where major weapons systems and even hulls are identical between classes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Obviously they are similar in appearance but the internal workings would have to be different, they don't have a secondary hull so they have to wedge all that stuff into the saucer. So I doubt they are similar in anything but the most superficial way.