The relationship between the Connie and the Miranda

The Original Series
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The relationship between the Connie and the Miranda

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The relevant question is: "How much of that stuff is compatible?" :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Maybe the Reliant household could have fun buidling a franken-computer out of all those parts! A playmate for Rochey's mainframe? :mrgreen:

Just earlier today I turned an old (decade-old, in the computer world hilariously outdated) laptop I was given into a pile of parts waiting to be ebay-ed. While that machine (which still does - did - work before I disassembled it) rests in pieces, there's still this completely useless hunk of silicon lying around in my closet:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 ... r/0035.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 ... r/0039.jpg
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

All of its compatable in a way. most desktop computers are actually just kitbashes anyway. We always build our own Desktops out of parts we have. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. If they dont, okay, lets chop and change components with another machine to see if that works. I have had 3 graphics cards in this pc before now, and its only 6 months old. I currently have an HD one which wouldn't work anywhere else cause it didn't like the motherboards. but it works here. Its really a case of try it and see.

We don't, however, mess with laptops. Me and dad have some form of neurone deficiency or something, (i hate indian doctors with impossible accents), so our hands shake like hell as if we have parkinsons disease. we dont really have the precision needed for messing with laptop. besides, dad's not really that great a technical man. he sorta...removed...the screen...of a laptop....so we wired it to the TV in the dining room :D
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Both my home PC and my laptop are rebuilds. Built them both from spare parts I got at Salvation Army.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Stitch's computer is a kitbash of different computer parts, and it just so happens that it all is similar colors... Black and silver.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Mark wrote:Both my home PC and my laptop are rebuilds. Built them both from spare parts I got at Salvation Army.
(Fails to mention the purchase of a polyester leisure suit while roaming the Salvation Army...) 8)
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

steamrunner wrote:
Mark wrote:Both my home PC and my laptop are rebuilds. Built them both from spare parts I got at Salvation Army.
(Fails to mention the purchase of a polyester leisure suit while roaming the Salvation Army...) 8)

And oversized fedora.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

You're forgetting the giant feather in said fedora.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Acutally, I wouldn't mind a classy looking hat like that :wink:

I'm not bashful about shopping at the Salvation Army. When I worked there, you wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff that people donate. I got both my computers, my regular Xbox, my PS2, a big screen tv, and all kinds of name brand stuff for pennies if not for free.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nice one.

I do all my shopping at the uber-cheap shops around the city. I honestly couldn't give a shit about paying €50 for an item of clothing just because it has some pretentious wanker's name on it when I can get clothes of the same type for €5.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

I donate to the Salvation Army whenever I get the chance. Here in Wyoming it is a wonderful organization.
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Rochey wrote:Nice one.

I do all my shopping at the uber-cheap shops around the city. I honestly couldn't give a s**t about paying €50 for an item of clothing just because it has some pretentious wanker's name on it when I can get clothes of the same type for €5.
My biggest problem is that a lot of the uber-cheap shops never have sizes small enough for me, especially jeans. I have disproportionately longer legs than my waist would suggest. I need 28"/30" waist/leg. The only store in the entirety of portsmouth which sells that kinda sizes is Top Man, meaning I end up paying £25/£30 for a pair of jeans. To be fair, they do tend to last me a long time.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I like buying quality just for the fact that is usually does last longer. I tend to run things into the ground.

If I buy a pair of shoes for $100 I'll wear them all the time and have them last me 3 years. They are comfortable, look good and are quality made. I'd much rather that then buy $30 shoes that last 6 months and arent comfortable.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Teaos wrote:I like buying quality just for the fact that is usually does last longer. I tend to run things into the ground.

If I buy a pair of shoes for $100 I'll wear them all the time and have them last me 3 years. They are comfortable, look good and are quality made. I'd much rather that then buy $30 shoes that last 6 months and arent comfortable.
Yeah, I buy quality shoes and they end up lasting me about 6 months, I end up using them a lot, and tear up the sole really quickly... However, my clothes, I take great care of, and always end up being really expensive. I like buying designer clothes, especially jeans, because they fit very well. But i end up paying about $50-$70 for a pair of jeans, and I like good shirts, so I end up getting $20-$30 shirts. However, these clothes last a good long time.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm lucky in that I have decent outlet shops near me. I can usually get brand-name shoes (Stacy Adams, Skechers, etc.) for $40 - $50 a pair, Van Heusen oxford shirts for $15 - $20, even a Brooks Brothers suit for $400 - $500. My problem, like Reliant's is pants - I wear a 31/30, and 31" seems to be a hard-to-find waist size. 30" and 32" are a dime a dozen. *shrugs*
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer