The relationship between the Connie and the Miranda

The Original Series
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The relationship between the Connie and the Miranda

Post by Aaron »

Unless there is a commissioning date on her plaque, I don't think we have anything hard to go on besides some dialogue.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mark wrote:Wait.......5 years under April, 5 under Pike, 5 under Kirk (TOS), and 5 under Kirk (between TMP and TWOK)....that's 20. Am I losing 10 years somewhere?
Well according to convention, Kirk's 5-year mission was from 2265 to 2270, TMP was in the early 2270s, and TWOK and TSFS were in the mid 2280s. But of course, that's conjectural, as is the length of Pike's mission, and the question of whether April even existed or not. Based on the dates that are conventionally accepted, Morrow's remark doesn't seem to make sense if he's talking about the age of the Enterprise refit or the age of the Enterprise from it's original date of commission; it only seems to make sense if he's talking about the length of time since Kirk first took command. OOU, I think they just remembered that TOS started about 20 years before TSFS was made, and based it on that without much thought.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

However, his direct quote is "Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years old."
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personaly I see it as a combination of superior robust design, the fact that they were newer, and the fact that they were probably rather cheap to build.

Even by TNG times, the Mirandas would still have had a use as system patrol craft and pirate-hunters. Although too weak to really take on a warship of the time, they would still have been sufficient for those roles. Add in the probability that they were cheap as chips by TNG, and you can see why they'd keep building them. The Connie may have been too expensive or too maintanence-intensive for such tasks.

However, we did see a Connie at Wolf 359, indicating that there's still a few of them around somewhere, perhaps as part of a reserve force.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

My thought about Wolf 359 was they had yanked it out of mothball somewhere as they seemed to pretty much send anything that was warp capable and had a gun to try and stop the Borg.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's my thinking on it also.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Mark wrote:However, his direct quote is "Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years old."
They could have zero timed the frame during refit.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Capt. Jethro wrote:They could have zero timed the frame during refit.
But that wouldn't work, because Kirk had just had his 50th birthday, which would make him only 30 when the refit took place, and therefore 25 when he first took command.

And at the same time, Spock said in "The Menagerie" that he served under Pike for 11 years and 4 months, which (if we follow the 20 year figure) would make Kirk over 40 years old when he first took command. And wasn't he supposed to be the youngest captain in the fleet?
Last edited by Lazar on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:
Capt. Jethro wrote:They could have zero timed the frame during refit.
But that wouldn't work, because Kirk had just had his 50th birthday, which would make him only 30 when the refit took place, and therefore 25 when he first took command.
Which, oddly enough, would fit Abrams' movie wouldn't it? :poke:
And at the same time, Spock said in "The Menagerie" that he served under Pike for 11 years and 4 months, which (if we follow the 20 year figure) would make Kirk over 40 years old when he first took command. And wasn't he supposed to be the youngest captain in the fleet?
I always heard it, tho I don't know if it was stated in Canon, that he was 30-ish (29/30, around there) when he became Captain of the Enterprise...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I always thought he was 29 myself.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've heard that too. Damned if I can remember where, though.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:I've heard that too. Damned if I can remember where, though.

It was in a book....I can't think of the name of it right now of course :bangwall:
And at the same time, Spock said in "The Menagerie" that he served under Pike for 11 years and 4 months
But he never said they were ALL on the Enterprise, did he?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:
And at the same time, Spock said in "The Menagerie" that he served under Pike for 11 years and 4 months
But he never said they were ALL on the Enterprise, did he?
I believe that was implied...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mark wrote:It was in a book....I can't think of the name of it right now of course :bangwall:
Well, if it's in a book then it's unlikely to be canon, unfortunately.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Kirk took command of the Enterprise in 2264, making him 31 years old and, at the time, the youngest starship captain in Starfleet.
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."