How did Khan survive?

The Original Series
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: How did Khan survive?

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Wouldnt it spread out into a ring like we have between Mars and Jupiter?
In 20 years? If the explosion was that violent than Khans planet likely would have been destroyed in a rain of debris.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

How long would a orbit be? 1-2 years? so in about 15 orbits the debre wouldnt have spread out around into a ring?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:How long would a orbit be? 1-2 years? so in about 15 orbits the debre wouldnt have spread out around into a ring?
We have no idea what the orbit of the planet was but things that happen on a stellar scale rarely happen in a short time frame. I've always thought it likely that the planet would eventually reform simply based on the fact that Ceti Alpha V wasn't completely uninhabitable.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why would it reform? If it did shouldnt our astroid belt form into a planet?

Well I think it is safe to assume its oribt wouldnt be to much longer than Earths, it was a yellow star (I think) and a M class planet, that means that the planet is a fairly standard distance from the sun, thus its orbit time shoulb be close to Earths.

Thus it probably had anywhere from 10-20 orbits. If the debre was traveling at even slightly different speeds it would spread out quite a bit in that time.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It all depends on how the planet was destroyed, and how long its orbit was. It's very concievable that it could have reformed back into a planetoid.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Well, even if we grant for the sake of argument that Reliant had no reason to check the number of planets, the fact remains that they confused one planet for another. We know for a fact that Reliant was running scans of the planet thought to be Ceti Alpha VI, and we shouldn't expect superficial similarities to fool 23rd Century sensors when our own, current, technology could pick up that the planet has a different mass, radius, magnetic field, composition, etc than it should have. Either Ceti Alpha V & VI were exactly alike (a highly unlikely coincidence) or Reliant mistook one planet for another despite what should have been noticeasble differences.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Also, the Reliant was specifically looking for a completely dead planet. Assuming they weren't going round looking at Planets at random, it would make sense that they would have pretty detail information on all the planets they were surveying.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Also, how did they not pick up the lifesigns of Khan's people? Just one blip on a dynoscanner. Did they not even scan the planet before beaming down?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The containers they were living in probably blocked the sensors.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But IIRC they weren't in the containers at the time, right?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Ironically, if they hadn't picked that blip up, then Khan, his followers, and the earwigs from hell might well have been disintegrated along with the rest of Ceti Alpha V and turned into a paradise planet. At least till it blew up as well.

(am watching B5 atm - poor Chekov is still chasing blips)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If Genesis turned Khan into part of the new planet he'd find a way to make it get revenge on Kirk.

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Maybe that's why Genesis blew up. Because it hated Kirk!!!

Somehow I doubt it though :?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:But IIRC they weren't in the containers at the time, right?

The atmosphere was probably interferring, high velocity winds, kralon gas etc.