Sulu vs Chekov

The Original Series
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Sulu vs Chekov

Post by Mikey »

Katefan - there is simply no evidence to support the presumption that the the Cardassian-on-the-street tacitly complied with the junta. You mention that there is vocal public opposition to Bush; do you have media feeds from Cardassia Prime to say that there was no such movement among the Cardassians? I'd say the (circumstantial) evidence points to the opposite - a civilian government was installed over the junta during the war, and the insurrection toward the end of the war was succesful.

As to public resistance to unjust governments: if you'd read the entirety of what I said, you'd see that my comment was that the residents of Theriesenstadt (to use your example) are not guilt-free in their complicity; only that they do not share the same degree of responsibility as the actual active perpetrators.

I made no assumptions about your derivation. The only way anyone could be more affected by the Nazi atrocities would be if they themselves or an immediate family member were killed in the camps.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Mikey wrote:Katefan - there is simply no evidence to support the presumption that the the Cardassian-on-the-street tacitly complied with the junta. You mention that there is vocal public opposition to Bush; do you have media feeds from Cardassia Prime to say that there was no such movement among the Cardassians? I'd say the (circumstantial) evidence points to the opposite - a civilian government was installed over the junta during the war, and the insurrection toward the end of the war was succesful.

As to public resistance to unjust governments: if you'd read the entirety of what I said, you'd see that my comment was that the residents of Theriesenstadt (to use your example) are not guilt-free in their complicity; only that they do not share the same degree of responsibility as the actual active perpetrators.

I made no assumptions about your derivation. The only way anyone could be more affected by the Nazi atrocities would be if they themselves or an immediate family member were killed in the camps.
You raise some valid points, so I will concede that the DS9 writers did a valid job at suggesting the Cardassians were not quite as mono-culturish as I implied. As for your other statement, you said:
My family no doubt has greater cause to despise the Nazi atrocities than yours...
That is a lot of assumption there. "No doubt?" Those words are pretty loaded.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

katefan wrote:That is a lot of assumption there. "No doubt?" Those words are pretty loaded.
You are correct. I am making an assumption about your age, that you wouldn't have parents old enough to have been camp victims. Other than that, my statement remains valid, because the next step would be to have had direct ancestors victimized by the Holocaust, and I have.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer