USS Excalibur

The Original Series

What happened to USS Excalibur?

Did they manage to repair her and get her back into service with a new crew?
75%
Was she deemed unsalvagable, thus decommissioned, and scrapped?
25%

Total votes: 12
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

USS Excalibur

Post by Mark »

Ok....since we most likely figured out the fate of USS Exeter, let's move on to the luckless USS Excalibur. During the M-5 mishap, she was struck with full phasers and her crew killed. On screen, we couldn't see the amount or extent of the damage she took. All we know was the ship itself was still there, adrift. What say you, DITL forum? Did they fix her and put her back into service, or decommission her as unsalvageable and scrap her?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: USS Excalibur

Post by stitch626 »

My guess is they repaired her. There was little visable damage, and it would probably cost less to repair a ship than build a new one.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Personally I say its impossible to tell without knowing what type of damage was sustained, to kill the crew the weapons may have just knocked out Life Support, which makes sense, M-5 was programmed to defend itself, it knows the ships can't function without a Sentient Crew so rather than trying to destroy the Hull, which would likely take more time and reduce its chances of survival it blasts Life Support and the Crew Dies...

If that were the case then the repair could be quite simple...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It didn't SEEM like there was irreparable damage. Hell, they've pout ships back together after more than it looked like she got. I'd guess repair and replace.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Connies were tough ships. I'm saying repair as well.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They could have rebuilt a new hull pretty quick and ripped out all the bits they could from the Excalibur and put them in the new hull. Sometimes its easier to start from scratch then repairing.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:They could have rebuilt a new hull pretty quick and ripped out all the bits they could from the Excalibur and put them in the new hull. Sometimes its easier to start from scratch then repairing.
That sounds like it would require both new construction plus the labor equivalent of overhauling the Excalibur. Why do double work?
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Cause to repair a ship you have examine it, cut out the damaged bits, build in new bits around a existing hull.

Were as building a new hull and putting in salvaged bits would be simpler. It would only be something you do with a heavily damaged ship though.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Then you still have to pick through and excise the innards of the damaged ship. I'd say the original would have to pretty f***ed-up in order to make that sort of transplant worthwhile.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah as I said you'd only do it to a ship that is really screwed. Like the one hit by the Doomsday machine.

If a ship is so damaged you have to salvage it you can just cut huge chunks out of it rather than carefully remove bits.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Fair enough.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think they repaired it. I don't think there was anything to suggest it took any serious amounts of damage that would prevent it from being spaceworthy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I don't recall the Excallibur being shown after she was hit, at least not in the original - TOS-R might have changed that. Either way, damage sufficient to kill the entire crew is pretty severe - at best she'd have needed to be almost completely rebuilt a la RFA Sir Tristram, at worst she'd have to be scrapped, with as many salvageable components as could be found retrieved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What type of ship was the Excalibur? If it was a Connie, then you have a point. If it was another ship, then we can't really comment on it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:What type of ship was the Excalibur? If it was a Connie, then you have a point. If it was another ship, then we can't really comment on it.
It was a Connie - we never saw any other class of ship in TOS.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.