What If: STVI

The Original Series
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

What If: STVI

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What if Valeris had shot and killed Kirk and Spock? It was Spock who melded with Valeris to discover the conspiracy and who came up with the idea for the guided torpedo. It may have been Kirk's reputation that helped overcome the distrust between the Feds and Klingons when he embraced peace. It is possible that the assassination plot would have succeeded and war broken out had Valeris fired.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I suppose it is. had never really thought about it.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

War with the Klingons :- thats the kind of prequel series they should have done instead of Enterprise. Lots of large scale battles involving movie era ships and the Klingons, and set in an alternate universe, so no need to worry about Continuity too much :)

Would have been better with an Excelsior captained by Sulu though. With Tuvok, Rand and Christian Slater on board :)
Last edited by kostmayer on Wed May 07, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

kostmayer wrote:It was also Spock who came up with the idea of modifying a torpedo to detect the cloaked Bird of Prey. Even if the Enterprise and Excelsior had gone to Khitomer the Bird of Prey would probably have destroyed them both.
I said that...
It was Spock who melded with Valeris to discover the conspiracy and who came up with the idea for the guided torpedo.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Sorry, didn't read the second part :)
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

It's a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaKKKEEE!
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Is there any canon evidence in the movie as to where she got the phaser from?

Presumably, since this was a setup, there would have been safeguards unknown to us (since we only saw the end of the whole thing) to prevent what I'm talking about - but this is an inherently risky game. Can we suppose for the sake of argument that Valeris got into sickbay with a real phaser?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The Enterprise D had the ability to disable Phasers and over devices, not sure if the Enterprise A had the same abitilty. I suppose if the Phasers were designed so that they could be disabled remotely..

She presumably already had access to a Phaser, she offed the 2 Yeomans with one. And all the kitchens have them - presumably for defrosting turkeys.

I don't see how they could predict what Phaser Valeris would use, or even if she'd use a Phaser. She thought she was going to off the 2 Yeomans, for all Kirk and Spock knew she could have just smothered them with pillows.

As you say, it was a risky venture. Valeris, though misguided, was motivated by logic. If she'd already gone that far, Spock had no reason to suspect she'd stop at killing him as well.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Enterprise A just had a loud alarm (as was shown in the kitchen scene).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Is everyone just silently agreeing or are you stumped? That's unusual for this place.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Silently agreeing I think. A point to note is that it was Uhura, not Spock, who suggested refitting a torpedo was gasseous anomal detectors, but the fact that Spock played a vital role in actually refitting it cancels that out. Plus the fact of Spock getting the details of the conspacy out of Valeris.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:Silently agreeing I think.
Thanks, I appreciate it. :)