TAS gets a makeover

The Original Series
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Absolutly no Western animation. That barely qualifies as animation and is never taken seriously in any mannor. CGI would probably have the best chance of success, but it's more expensive then more conventional styles so it's riskier.

But if the writing isn't as bad as it was during the first two seasons of Enterprise or most of the TNG series it might have a shot.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Absolutly no Western animation. That barely qualifies as animation and is never taken seriously in any mannor. CGI would probably have the best chance of success, but it's more expensive then more conventional styles so it's riskier.
You have never seen Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Justice League, Gargoyles, Justice League Unilimited, X-Men Evolution, or Spectacular Spider-Man have you? All are WESTERN ANIMATION.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Absolutly no Western animation. That barely qualifies as animation and is never taken seriously in any mannor. CGI would probably have the best chance of success, but it's more expensive then more conventional styles so it's riskier.
You have never seen Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Justice League, Gargoyles, Justice League Unilimited, X-Men Evolution, or Spectacular Spider-Man have you? All are WESTERN ANIMATION.
I've seen Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone wars, and Gargoyles. And all three sucked. I think the only western style series I've liked was Road Rovers, which they cancelled after one season. That and Swat Kats....watching stuff like that as a kid no wonder I became a furry. :P
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
I've seen Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone wars, and Gargoyles. And all three sucked. I think the only western style series I've liked was Road Rovers, which they cancelled after one season. That and Swat Kats....watching stuff like that as a kid no wonder I became a furry. :P
You have seriously wierd tastes if you thought those three well written and animated series sucked. REALLY wierd tastes.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
Batman TAS is one of the best animation series I've seen. I still think Mask of the Phantasm is superior to all the films, Batman Begins included.

And I need to watch Clone Wars again, those Elite Stormtroopers kicked ass.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: You have never seen Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone Wars, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Justice League, Gargoyles, Justice League Unilimited, X-Men Evolution, or Spectacular Spider-Man have you? All are WESTERN ANIMATION.
You have seriously wierd tastes if you thought those three well written and animated series sucked. REALLY wierd tastes.
No I just prefer anime over little kids stuff. Also if you think the writing in those series was good, I feel sorry for you for not being exposed to more culture.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote: I've seen Samurai Jack, Star Wars Clone wars, and Gargoyles. And all three sucked. I think the only western style series I've liked was Road Rovers, which they cancelled after one season. That and Swat Kats....watching stuff like that as a kid no wonder I became a furry. :P
No I just prefer anime over little kids stuff. Also if you think the writing in those series was good, I feel sorry for you for not being exposed to more culture.
I am an Anime Fan as well. But I do think that Gargoyles, Clone Wars, and Samurai Jack, as well as the other western series I gave you, have *excellent* writing that not only are on par with most Shonen Animes, but better. Give credence where credence is due.

How old are you? 15? 16?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Blackstar, the problems you're pointing out are with writing, not with animation style. Western style animation was made primarily for kids, and hence their scripts suffered. Take a look at kid-orientated anime and you'll see the same problems.

The fact is that anime is about as popular as sci-fi, which is to say that it's not that popular at all. Already a new Trek series would have to go through a lot of difficulty just to maintain the fanbase it already had, bringing in new fans would be even more difficult without alienating the older fans.
Making a new series as an anime would make it even less mainstream. As such, there'd be virtualy no new fans coming in, while a massive amount of the existing fanbase would be turned off from the get-go.
While I can't speak for how it's percieved in North America, in Europe anime is generaly relegated to the status of western animation. Ie, it's percieved to be just another style of kid's cartoon. Most people over here, upon hearing the word 'anime', will immediately think of things like Yu-gi-oh and Pokémon. As such, they simply wouldn't take it seriously, and just consider it to be sci-fi for kids.

While you may be able to get some new fans due to anime fans watching it, you've just lost viewership in most of an entire continent, while also losing viewership among the older fans.
Basicaly, such a show would be the death of Trek.

Saiya: I think shi's 18.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

19 years old.
Rochey's snip about anime
We've covered all this before. But there is a lot of adult oriented anime out there then child oriented stuff. I'm just saying it would have a better chance then Western style and less risky, financially, then CGI IMO. CGI would probably work best, but in the end having an animated Star Trek series is a bad idea in general.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Blackstar - it really seems like you're missing the point again. This isn't about defending anime or putting down any other style of animation - we're talking about WHAT WOULD WORK BEST FOR A STAR TREK FRANCHISE. The fact that "Blackstar likes anime and not other types of animation" may be true, but is hardly a compelling motivation in this arena. You've seen in th past that I am, while certainly no otaku, at least familiar with a good deal of anime, and favorably-minded toward some of it. However, I am interestingly enough able to do two important things:

#1 - appreciate anime WITHOUT having to dump on other animation styles to do so; and,

#2 - objectively and critically think about what would work best for the franchise from both an artisitic and marketability standpoint, without what I personally like interfering with that analysis.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've covered all this before.
Yes, we have. We've pointed out these exact same problems to you before.
But there is a lot of adult oriented anime out there then child oriented stuff.
So? There's a lot of adult-orientated western style animation as well. That won't shake Average Joe's preconception that anime=Pokémon and western=Bugs Bunny.
No one's arguing that there's adult styled anime out there. The fact remains, however, that most people either don't know or care about that fact.
I'm just saying it would have a better chance then Western style
I doubt it. Anime is, and for the forseeable future will be, relegated to the status of a niche market. While a western style show may not do much better than it, it'd be a lot less risky due to the target audience already being familiar with such a style.
and less risky, financially, then CGI IMO.
Financialy? Yeah, definitely. In terms of ratings? No, almost certainly not. CGI doesn't have the same 'geek' stereotype that anime is often asociated with, however unfairly.
CGI would probably work best, but in the end having an animated Star Trek series is a bad idea in general.
Agreed.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think that's one point that we have a consensus on.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Do it a'la the DCAU and it'll be gangbusters. Blackstar? You're wrong. Deeply wrong. The DCAU was/is better than a lot of anime I've seen.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I like anime, too, in fact, Akira was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, and I really like Cowboy Bebop and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I think that anime might work, but it is a big risk to take for the franchise. CGI would be better and less of a risk, if more expensive.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Do it a'la the DCAU and it'll be gangbusters. Blackstar? You're wrong. Deeply wrong. The DCAU was/is better than a lot of anime I've seen.
Well, if you watch 3 series, and two of them are crap then your image of it can be scewed quite a bit. You've probably, or at least hopefully watched more then that, but just because you've had some bad luck with anime doesn't mean the majority is bad. And just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are bad. There are plenty of anime series I don't like, but that doesn't mean they're bad.

Oh, and IMHO DCAU didn't even have any of the cool heros. And isn't it dying off now?
I like anime, too, in fact, Akira was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, and I really like Cowboy Bebop and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I think that anime might work, but it is a big risk to take for the franchise. CGI would be better and less of a risk, if more expensive.
That's exactly what I've been trying to get across.