Favorite episodes - TOS

The Original Series
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Favorite episodes - TOS

Post by Deepcrush »

If she just needs a cheap pc, toshiba has 500$ laptops that are decent enough. You can buy them from the site and they only cost 40$ a month or so.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wow, my PC was only $425. It was getting the XP CD that was expensive. Of course, I got mine at a computer show, so it was cheaper than if I had gotten it at a store.
And she shouldn't use floppys. They've already started to go the way of the dinosaur.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

stitch626 wrote: They've already started to go the way of the dinosaur.
Started? They're already a dead technology.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I havent seen a floppy in years.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:I havent seen a floppy in years.
I'm staring at two right now. :wink:

Oh...a disk! I just threw all mine out.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:I havent seen a floppy in years.
You know you're supposed to call your doctor after four hours right? :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

All the Cd drivers I have are on floppy. Without a drive, I wouldn't be able to use the CD-ROM to install Windows. I've no intention of buying her a new computer; I get the new one, she gets my current system.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Floppy refers to the disk and the drive that takes it. You know, those square things.
CDs go in CD drives, not floppy drives.
Unless I misunderstood what you were saying, in which case ignore what I said. :)
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Floppy refers to the disk and the drive that takes it. You know, those square things.
CDs go in CD drives, not floppy drives.
Unless I misunderstood what you were saying, in which case ignore what I said. :)
Yeah, you missed it. The motherboard has drivers on 3.5" floppy disks, and I can't use my CD-ROM without first installing their drivers (also on 3.5"). Without a floppy drive, the CD-ROM won't work, and I would be unable to install Windows. I'm talking about a completely new system. I think I can get around it by wiping a bunch of individual files, and not reformatting (in other words, not a completely new system).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh. Sorry. Now I understand. Thank you for clarifying that.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Why don't you (in the future) burn your drivers?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:Why don't you (in the future) burn your drivers?
That might work, but my motherboard doesn't even recognize the CD-ROM until the drivers are installed, so...

The damn thing is over five years old (and was cheap for the time), so I'm not sure I can set it up any other way.

1.7 Ghz Celeron

1.5 Gigs of PC-3200 SDRAM

80 Gig HD

The newest thing on it is the 128 MB AGP video card.

Thus, why I need a complete upgrade, and Uzume gets this junk. It's not like I'm asking any money for it. :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's like my personal motto - "If it's free, it's for me!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:Why don't you (in the future) burn your drivers?
That might work, but my motherboard doesn't even recognize the CD-ROM until the drivers are installed, so...

The damn thing is over five years old (and was cheap for the time), so I'm not sure I can set it up any other way.

1.7 Ghz Celeron

1.5 Gigs of PC-3200 SDRAM

80 Gig HD

The newest thing on it is the 128 MB AGP video card.

Thus, why I need a complete upgrade, and Uzume gets this junk. It's not like I'm asking any money for it. :wink:
That sounds a bit like my old machine. 1.7 GHz P4
1 GB DDR SDRAM (started with 254 MB when I first got it)
160 GB HDD (started out with a 20 GB that eventually crapped out)

I traded it in, plus my sister's old machine, which was the same as the original specs of my old machine, plus $570 for my new machine:

2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
160 GB HDD
About 7 USB 2.0 ports and a card reader/writer, DVD-RW drive

It wipes the floor with my old machine.
With the trade in I got $60 credit for my sister's old computer, which was pathetic compared to YOUR piece of junk

I'm looking forward now to a 19 inch LCD monitor listed at newegg.com for $169.99 (currently have the old 16" CRT)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It's actually a Pentium dual core at 2 GHz - essentially the same as a somewhat downrated Core 2 Duo. Despite the "pentium" tag, it is based on Core architecture. It delivers similar performance for one on a limited budget - my whole machine delivers pretty well for a low budget machine. I'm quite happy with it; my uses don't require a top-of-the-line Core 2 Quad/16 GB RAM kind of machine. In any case, it still wipes the floor with the old one...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who