slingshot time travel inconsistency

The Original Series
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

slingshot time travel inconsistency

Post by bladela »

just a thought: when the enterprise goes back to 1984 during Star Trek IV ... how does it come back and find the solar system in the exact same spot?

It should have been several light months away from the earth (nothing huge, surely it was useless to be there thinking about it from the point of view of the plot, just a curiosity)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: slingshot time travel inconsistency

Post by Mikey »

It’s easy enough to assume that Spock accounted for that discrepancy, but of course the real reason is... because movies.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Space and time are the same thing, so you don't "go back in time" as much as fly a course through spacetime that takes you back in time. It's easy to believe that the same course could take you through space as well, right? And given that you achieve this effect by using warp in close proximity to a large mass like the sun I don't see why it couldn't be the case that the effect binds you to the sun carrying you along with it as it moves.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

What Graham said... and Quantum! :)
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

"Time is an illusion... lunchtime doubly so."
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

You can't get better than a quick fit fitter... - sorry UK reference :) TV ad...
email, ergo spam
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Space and time are the same thing, so you don't "go back in time" as much as fly a course through spacetime that takes you back in time. It's easy to believe that the same course could take you through space as well, right? And given that you achieve this effect by using warp in close proximity to a large mass like the sun I don't see why it couldn't be the case that the effect binds you to the sun carrying you along with it as it moves.
This is, without hyperbole, the most ridiculous and interesting thing I have read on a sci-fi forum in god knows how long. It is utterly absurd to think about, and yet I agree 100% with you that something like that would likely happen. Since spacetime is so connected, it makes perfect sense and yet I don't think I've heard this whacky theory thrown about before. Is this just conjecture, Graham, or is there some scholarly theories about this from the likes of Hawking, Penrose, or that ilk? I'm probably about to spend my weekend looking through JStor archives for articles on curvature of time/space. This made me happy beyond belief. Thanks, Graham.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

No I just made it up. The slingshot method required you to be flying through an extreme gravity field, so it makes sense to me that you either deliberately chart your course to track the object through space, or that the mass kind of drags you along like an anchor.

I was once contemplating what time travel might be like, and figured this would be an explanation of why you didn't wind up in space. Only I went on to suggest that maybe that it's not perfect and so you wind up drifting off your starting point in space - with more drift as you move further through time. I thought the thing to do would be to build your time machine into a helicopter, and take it up to half of its maximum operating altitude. That way you could maximise your time hops because you could afford to drift a mile or two in any direction, including up and down.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham, publish that. or send it to a science magazine or something.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, it does stand to reason that the sort of gravity "hot spot" that was used as the fulcrum of the "slingshot" in ST:IV et. al. would tend to steer the object of the slingshot back in toward itself. According to Hawking and others, the very fact of the locally heightened gravity acting on light (read: any EM radiation less energetic than gamma rays or x-rays) is what causes the change in temporal positioning. Further analysis by someone as ill-equipped as I am to discuss it would border on the philosophical, but for a relatively (pun definitely intended) easy to read explanation, cf. the discussion of light cones in Hawking's A Brief History of Time.
as Bull offed Custer
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Wow, been a while since on here, and sorry for the necro... but the OP got a little detail wrong. The Enterprise (no bloody a, b, c, d or e) was destroyed, and the -A hadnt' yet been built-or-rechristened. (I ascribe to it being formerly the Yorktown). They travelled through time on the "bounty", the klingon Bird of Prey they hijacked in ST:III The Search for Spock. the Refitted original never time-travelled, but pre-refit (during TOS) it did in that one that was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for a time-travel show.