Help in creating?

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
SkarmChikora
Crewman
Crewman

Help in creating?

Post by SkarmChikora »

Was thinking about making a fanfic about Neelix and his grand adventures with his own crew etc. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could go from and what would be the best basis for my there to now scenario (from show to fanfic).

Would appreciate any help and pointers :)

-SkarmChickora :angel1:
If You Can't Handle Me At My Worst, You Don't Deserve Me at My Best :madashell:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Help in creating?

Post by Bryan Moore »

SkarmChikora wrote:Was thinking about making a fanfic about Neelix and his grand adventures with his own crew etc. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could go from and what would be the best basis for my there to now scenario (from show to fanfic).

Would appreciate any help and pointers :)

-SkarmChickora :angel1:
Welcome to the forum!

We've had a couple other guys pop up on the forum who have asked for help on their fanfics... It never ends well, as it very quickly devolves into "We're not writing your fanfic for you - its your work, it needs your ideas."

That said, we are also a group that likes a good discussion... so I'm going to answer your post with some questions for you to consider to get your creative juices flowing. I am not a fiction author, but between college, grad school, a brief stint prison, and writing within my current profession, I've probably written 5000+ pages in my adult life between papers, theses, letters, training programs, continuous improvement processes, and various esotera within my industry.

1) Are you thinking pre-Voyager or post-Voyager? When/where is this set?
2) Are you looking for drama, comedy, comedy-drama, tragedy, something in between?
3) Who is your audience - what do you want them to get out of your work? (If you are your own audience, then disregard)
4) Is this a novel, a short story, a series of short stories in serialized fashion?
5) What are the strengths and weaknesses of the Nelix character?
6) Why would the audience care about Nelix?
7) Do you have an endgame in mind?

The link below has 100 questions for fiction authors in regards to writing a novel. I think a lot of these are kind of formulaic and paint-by-numbers, but there is some good guidance there and certainly worth a read. If you can only answer a few of these, then you probably don't really have much of a story idea at all, in which case your question really is more of a statement: "I like Neelix, tell me what to do!"

https://christinemd.wordpress.com/2013/ ... our-novel/

Again, welcome - I hope this gets you started. As I said, most of us would agree we'd much rather hear your ideas than just throw out our own, so let's hear what it is you are thinking!

Good luck!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?