Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

"Misplaced Dragon"

Post by Varthikes »

I

G
RADUALLY, CONSCIOUSNESS returned to Varthikes. He heard the roar of waves crashing against a shore. He felt the coolness of water wash up behind him, then retreat before passing his tail. Pressing his claws down testily, he felt sand beneath him. He felt the weight of a body resting on his left arm and a cool breeze washing over his damp, scaled body.

Slowly he opened his eyes and was met by sunlight. Adjusting his eyes to the light, he saw a cliff rise a few paces from where he laid. He lifted his head slowly and, each eye working individually, scanned up and down the shoreline and the ocean behind him. He did not recognize any of what he saw. He looked down at the weight on his forearm and found that it was his closest friend, Audwin McClance.

He tried to recall what had happened. He and Audwin had been enjoying a swim in the Sunrise Sea on the side opposite of the Range, not far from the Human colony of Hatching. They had been near some cliffs where they were swimming, but those were not shaped as these were. Then, he remembered Audwin being pulled into something. Varthikes had responded by moving as fast as he could to his friend's aid, but was pulled in with him. Now he and Audwin were here-wherever here was.

He felt movement on his arm. Turning his left eye downward, Varthikes found Audwin beginning to stir. The Human blinked his eyes a number of time, adjusting to the sunlight, and raised his head. Varthikes? he said as he looked about. What happened? He finally met Varthikes' golden eye and its diamond-shaped pupil.

Unsure am I, friend Audwin, Varthikes answered. Underwater were you pulled. I followed in an attempt to save you. Here are we now in a place unfamiliar to me.

Couldn't we have ended up on another shore of Sunrise Sea?
Audwin asked.

Like none of the cliffs which I have seen around Sunrise Sea are these cliffs shaped, Varthikes answered.

Audwin rose to his feet and took a few steps away from the young Draconian, looking about their surroundings as he did. The confusion Varthikes sensed building up within Audwin matched his own. If this isn't Sunrise Sea, he started, turning back to Varthikes, then where else could we be?

And how is it that here we have come to be?
Varthikes added with equal puzzlement. The nearest Range should we try to locate. Able would the local Sages be to assist us.

Are you well enough to fly?
Audwin asked.

Before answering, Varthikes rose slowly to his feet, preparing himself for whatever shocks of pain may shoot through his body. No pain, he concluded when he was fully raised. Next, he extended his wings testily. No pain there, either. After stretching his muscles, Varthikes turned back to Audwin, who was studying his progress. I feel no pain, he told his friend and positioned his left forearm so that Audwin could mount his shoulders. Audwin took a step forward, then hesitated and looked down at his attire of shorts and bare chest.

What is wrong? Varthikes asked.

I'm not exactly prepared for an extended flight, Varth, Audwin answered, indicating his dress.

I understand, Varthikes said, withdrawing his forearm. I would wish you not to be uncomfortable. Will you be well here while I attempt to locate the nearest Range and contact the local Sages?

I'll wait for you on this warm beach,
Audwin replied.

For you I promise to return as soon as I am able, Varthikes said. Then, he leaped skyward and opened his great wings in a powerful downward stroke, causing Audwin to shiver in the cool wind produced.

As soon as Varthikes was above the sea-lining cliffs and flying westward, he caught sight of a mountain range stretching across the horizon. The nearest Range seems to be not very far, he thought to himself as he flapped his wings to increase his altitude and speed.

It was not until he had reached the slopes of the range that Varthikes noticed the absence of a border patrol. But, he reasoned to himself, his virsem did say that minor Ranges might not have patrols. Perhaps this was one of those minor Ranges.

The young Draconian, deciding to continue searching, turned northward and proceeded to follow the chain of mountains in that direction. He issued a greeting bellow that, other than the echoes that bounced off the mountain peaks, went unanswered.

Varthikes bugled again, then listened for a response awhile after the last echoes died away. He continued that routine until, as the altitude of the mountain peaks dropped a bit, he caught sight of a pair of flapping wings. Joyful greetings! he exclaimed joyfully, issuing his greeting again.

Identify, came an unfamiliar, echoing thought-voice that sounded cautious. It sounded like the speaker was a king.

Here flies Varthikes from Bare Peak Range in East Sun Region, the young Draconian replied without hesitation.

Silence now dominated between Varthikes and the other king. As the distance between the two closed, Varthikes began to notice something odd about this individual. Where Draconians varied between gold, golden-tan, golden-brown, or a yellowish-white in the elders, this one appeared blue. He could also now see that he carried a Human upon his shoulders. Blue? And carrying a Human?

Who is your rider? asked the thought-voice again, this time puzzled.

Rider? Varthikes replied in a baffled tone. I have not a rider-

No rider?!
Anxiety now accompanied the other's thought-voice.

Drawing closer, Varthikes now saw that there was a lot more that separated this individual from other Draconians. But, what Varthikes noticed first was the multifaceted yellow eye. The last time he had seen an eye like that He also noted that the forearms were shorter than it was normal for Draconians.

Lessa and F'lar must meet with you, came the thought-voice again, startling Varthikes for a moment with the names that were mentioned. Lessa and F'lar? He immediately recalled those names from that fictional world of Pern, about which he had listened to Audwin read for the past cycle since they met. Follow, commanded the echoing thought-voice.

The blue dragon turned about and proceeded in the direction from which he came. Varthikes accompanied him along the chain of mountains until they came to an enormous crater. While the blue dragon exchanged bugles with another dragon at the opposite end of the crater from where they flew, Varthikes' eyes took in the view. The lake that they now passed over, the many dark pockets in the crater's walls, the many bronze, brown, blue, and green bodies that rested upon the ledges in front of those pockets, dotted the sand-covered crater floor around the lake, or wallowing in the lake. All of them had their heads turned up to him, their eyes all green-blue and some with a tinge of yellow. From all of them emanated the same emotions as he had felt from the blue dragon before-puzzlement regarding him.

Varthikes was overcome with mixed feelings as the blue dragon led him to a pocket-weyr, he remembered they were called here-on the opposite side of the crater floor from the lake. Under one wing, he felt excited to be here in the setting that he had enjoyed listening to Audwin read about; under the other wing, he felt very alien. He felt similar to how he remembered Audwin had felt when he was first brought to Bare Peak Range and into the presence of so many larger Draconians.

A great gold dragon now emerged from the cavern below their destined weyr and flew up to join the great bronze that was stationed upon the ledge there with two Humans.

Varthikes followed the blue in a spiral descent until the latter broke off, allowing Varthikes to set down on the ledge before those whom he knew to be the Sages of this Weyr-both, to the Humans and to the dragons. Meekful greetings, most honorable Ramoth, Mnementh, Weyrleader F'lar, Weyrwoman Lessa, he said, recalling their names and appropriate titles as he bowed his head and wings in respect. When he raised his eyes again, he found that both Humans and dragons had their eyes on him. From both kinds, he sensed intense curiosity mixed with equally intense confusion.

You are Varthikes? asked a deep, female-sounding echoing thought-voice.

I am, he answered, including all four in the focus of his thought-voice. His tail twitched and he rustled his wings in his nervousness.

Why is it that you are different? asked the deep feminine thought-voice again, this time with concern.

And you don't have a rider?! That one was asked by a lighter feminine thought-voice in a tone clearly expressing shock.

Briefly, Varthikes glanced between gold Ramoth and Lessa, who, herself, exchanged looks with F'lar. Of Pern am I not, Varthikes answered, not knowing how else to start explaining.

That is obvious, echoed a deep, male-sounding thought-voice commented.

Varthikes acknowledged bronze Mnementh before continuing, Of another world am I where Humans and my kind have only just begun to coexist a cycle-a Turn-ago. Though I have not a rider, I do have a Human friend whom I frequently carry upon my shoulders. He and myself have, by some unknown means, come to be here. Unaware is he at the moment, though, that he is on Pern rather than the world from which we have come.

Your rider-er, friend-is here with you?
asked F'lar. Where is he?

On the shore southeast of here he remained,
Varthikes answered. Without warning were we pulled into something underwater while we were swimming on my world before we found ourselves here. He was, therefore, not adorned properly for flight. That I would return for him, I told him, once I had established our current location. I shall return to him now to inform him.

Do not leave yet,
said a deep thought-voice just as Varthikes was about to initiate a parting bow. Varthikes looked back up at Mnementh, then over at the two Humans who were exchanging the crude grunting sounds that he knew to be the Human oral speech. He should start learning the meaning of those different sounds, Varthikes thought in an aside. Then, as Lessa moved off, F'lar turned to him.

Mnementh and I will accompany you, Varthikes, he said. Lessa is getting appropriate flight gear from the stores for your friend.

Greatly do I thank you, honorable Weyrleader F'lar,
Varthikes said with a respectful bow of his head.

We will discuss your situation further when your friend is here.

F'lar and Mnementh were soon ready and, with Lessa and Ramoth seeing them off, followed Varthikes skyward. I will need directions for between, Varthikes heard Mnementh's thought-voice say.

Between? Varthikes searched his memory and remembered that "between" was how these dragons of Pern traveled long distances. A realm of silence, darkest of darkness, and very cold. Those of my kind possess not the ability to fly between. Not long is the flight, however, to the shore.

More to come. I will try to post a chapter a day. Please leave any feedback, comments, questions either as PMs or in another thread. Thank you. :)
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

II

A
UDWIN PACED the beach, heading back to where he and Varthikes had first found themselves on this strange shoreline. He tried to stay in the warmth of the setting sun's rays as much as he could, but the shadow of the cliffs forced him toward the incoming tide. He still had not yet seen any signs of life beyond a few birds that appeared to be very different from other birds he had encountered so far on Draconia. He gave little thought about it, though, as he had only been on Draconia for a year and the birds could have easily been of a variety so far undiscovered by the small Human population. Many strange animals on Earth, after all, were exclusive to certain regions.

Joyful greetings, friend Audwin, came the familiar thought-voice of Varthikes, accompanying a bugle from above. Looking up, Audwin saw his friend beginning to spiral to a landing, followed by someone who was considerably larger, bronze in color instead of the usual golden-tan, lacking scales, and with a tail that ended in a fork rather than the usual whip. Was that a Human riding on the creature's shoulders? Solved has been the mystery of our location, Varthikes continued delightedly.

Who's that flying with you? Audwin immediately asked.

With me flies honorable Mnementh and his rider, honorable Weyrleader F'lar.

Before Audwin could react to the incredible answer Varthikes provided, the two winged creatures were settling down on the beach before him. Audwin saw the truth confirmed in the whirling blue-green, multifaceted eye of the large bronze dragon and the man that dismounted with the help of a forearm from the bronze. As the man approached, Audwin noticed that he was carrying a bundle in his arms. Audwin felt his heart beginning to beat faster with the incredibleness of the situation. "You are Audwin?" the man asked.

"Uhh Yea, I'm Audwin," he answered, suddenly aware that his mouth had been hanging open. His voice sounded shaky and a bit rough, so he coughed a few times to clear his throat. Varthikes said this was F'lar? Audwin suddenly felt embarrassed at his lack of attire. Being half naked was not the way he would have wanted to meet one of the greatest people of Pern.

"F'lar of Benden Weyr," the man said, holding out a hand.

Audwin accepted the hand. "I am greatly honored," he said with a polite bow of his head. "And, uhh a bit embarrassed," he added with a glance down at himself.

"Varthikes," F'lar gestured to the young Draconian standing beside Mnementh, "has explained your situation to us." The dragonrider extended the bundle toward Audwin and continued, "We brought you appropriate flight clothes so that you may return with us to the Weyr."

Hesitating in his uncertainty for a moment, Audwin took the bundle from F'lar's arms with a "Thank you."

Audwin retreated to the opposite side of Varthikes from the Pernese dragon and quickly slipped on the clothes F'lar had brought for him. While the pants were a little tight-but not so much that they were uncomfortable-the tunic was a perfect fit. The sleeves were a little on the long side, but not terribly so. Suitable are the adornments? Varthikes asked with is left eye focused on his Human friend.

"They're suitable," Audwin answered as he lowered himself onto Varthikes' forearm after the young Draconian nodded his consent and proceeded to slip on the riding boots. "They should be good enough for the flight to the Weyr. It's not a long flight, is it?"

About equal is the distance to that which spans between Sunrise Sea and Bare Peak Range, Varthikes answered.

With the boots laced up, Audwin stood up. "I'm ready," he said. Varthikes turned his attention to the two Pernese and relayed to them Audwin's readiness.

As F'lar leapt up Mnementh's forearm and took his place behind the first neck ridge, Audwin mounted Varthikes' shoulders. Once they were set, the young Draconian followed the great bronze dragon skyward and on to Benden Weyr.

When they reached the Weyr, Audwin looked down in wide-eyed amazement. It looked just like what he had imagined during all the times he had read the books that were set here, on this world that was, itself, a product of imagination.

Audwin's awe-filled eyes scanned over the scene below him. Saw the bronze, brown, blue, green and three golden bodies of the Pernese dragons in the Weyr Bowl and on the ledges of the individual weyrs. The watch dragon emitted a bugle that was answered by Mnementh. This was Benden Weyr, he kept saying to himself. This was really Pern. He had tried several times to pry himself awake in case he was actually dreaming, but his attempts meant with no result. So, he assumed this was for real-in one way or another. Until he knew for sure that it was or was not what he was thinking it was, he resolved to play along with it.

Is this not amazing to behold, Audwin? Varthikes asked, turning an eye to him.

Any words I can think of would be inadequate in the greatest degree, Varthikes, Audwin answered. It's several notches up from the feeling I had when I first came to your Range last cycle.

They were spiraling to a landing toward the north end of the Weyr when Audwin caught sight of one of the gold dragons making her way from the lake to their target ledge where a woman also awaited them-Ramoth and Lessa, Audwin recalled. Varthikes, following Mnementh, set down on the ledge and allowed Audwin to dismount as he bowed his head respectfully to the senior queen.

After introductions were made, Ramoth returned to the Hatching Grounds while Lessa and F'lar gestured for Audwin to accompany them down a stone corridor. Audwin turned to Varthikes and asked, You're going to stay here?

Varthikes nodded once before answering, Remain here will I with honorable Mnementh and take in the view of the Weyr Bowl. Audwin did not detect the least bit of pout in his friend's tone. Only contentment. Varthikes was undoubtedly used to waiting while Audwin was meeting with the Draconian counterparts of these weyrleaders.

If I require your input, I'll go through F'lar and Mnementh. Have fun. Audwin turned to the patiently waiting weyrleaders and followed them down the corridor.

"Your Varthikes is a most strange creature," Lessa started by saying.

Audwin didn't miss the glance F'lar shot his weyrmate. "He is," Audwin replied with a chuckle. "There are many among his own kind who would agree with that." They entered a room occupied by a circular table. The council room, Audwin identified it. His eyes quickly scanned around the room as he recalled the many important meetings between weyrleaders, mastercraftsmen, and Lord Holders that had been and would be held in this very chamber. If the history of this Pern followed the one he had read about so many times. "But," he continued, "his strangeness among his kind led to the friendship we experience now. Not only between the two of us, but between our respective kinds as well."

"Varthikes told us about your situation," F'lar began as he gestured for Audwin to take a seat at the table. "And how you came to be here."

"I don't remember much of what happened, myself," Audwin said, rubbing his head. "First, I was enjoying a swim with Varthikes some ways away from Hatching Cove. The next, I found myself waking up on the beach over there"-he gestured in the general direction from which they just flew in-"draped over Varth's forearm."

"Hatching Cove?" Lessa asked as she offered Audwin wine, which he accepted.

"Where the Human settlement was established on the world we came from," Audwin clarified.

Lessa nodded her understanding as she settled beside F'lar. "Varthikes said you two were pulled under," she said. "He didn't say by what."

Audwin searched his memory and remembered Varthikes telling him that as well. "It's entirely possible that Varthikes noticed more details than I did." He glanced briefly at the corridor that led back to the ledge, saw that it was a bit too narrow for even an adolescent Draconian to fit through, then back at the weyrmates. "I don't suppose I could relay something through Mnementh to Varthikes, could I? His input might be useful." Off F'lar's slightly puzzled look, Audwin explained, "We have to be within line-of-sight of each other to focus our thoughts to the other."

"What do you want relayed?" F'lar asked.

"I want to ask him if he remembers any details in the water while he was swimming after me."

F'lar nodded, then his eyes became unfocused as he addressed Mnementh in his mind. In the silence that transpired, Audwin lifted the goblet of wine. Benden wine, he mused. In the books, it was widely known throughout Pern as the best. Now, he will be able to either agree or disagree with that opinion. He sniffed the liquid and found the fragrant odor to be enticing. Then, he took a sip and let the tartness spread testily over his tongue. He tried to keep his composure, but could not keep his eyebrows from cocking up in surprise.

"Wow," he whispered. Then, he noticed Lessa was studying him through eyes that looked as if they could drill right through him. She started to take a breath to say something when F'lar had returned his focus to the council room and started to relay what the Draconian told Mnementh.

"Varthikes tells Mnementh," he said, "that the water had appeared calm when he heard your thought-voice and saw that you were clearly struggling. He saw nothing unusual."

Audwin reflected on his friend's response. "So, the anomaly that brought us here doesn't display any visible signs. At least none that Human or Draconian eyes can detect." Audwin took a drink of his wine as he quickly searched his memory to recall what he knew of Pernese dragon sight-not much off hand.

"Will you be able to get back to where you came from?" Lessa asked.

"I don't know. But, I hope so. I don't think poor Varth would be much use here. And, I've got a wife with a child coming, not to mention a duty to Varthikes' kind. I'll discuss our possibilities with him."

They both nodded in understanding. Then, after a whispery exchange, F'lar turned back to Audwin, "We would like to discuss this privately."

"Of course." Audwin finished his wine with a quick swig and headed back out to the ledge. The sun by now had sunk completely below the crater wall, making the Weyr dim in the fading light. He joined Varthikes' side at the ledge, stepping between the Draconian and the larger Pernese bronze Mnementh. They both turned an eye towards him on his approach.

Honored greetings, he thought with a respectful nod to the bronze. Then, addressing his friend, Anything interesting out here?

Varthikes briefly looked out toward the Weyr Bowl, then back at Audwin. Indeed. On one's point-of-view, however, would it depend what that interesting thing is.

"I know what you mean."

What is it that the most honorable Weyrleaders tell you?

"They just asked me what I remember of the phenomenon that brought us here and if we can get back."

Can we?

Audwin shrugged-a gesture which Varthikes had learned to mean uncertainty. "The anomaly that brought us here probably still exists, but if we can't see it, I don't know how we would be able to find it."

Would it not make sense for it to be around the area where we first found ourselves?

Audwin nodded. It would indeed make sense, he thought. But How would they find that area again? He asked that of Varthikes. "We didn't leave any mark that wouldn't be washed out by the tides."

We had not a need to leave any marks. Already were there natural marks by which we can navigate. The formation of the cliff that rose from where we found ourselves I remember. Then, Varthikes transferred his focus to Mnementh for a moment, then back to Audwin and said with a glint of amusement, Mnementh says that the most honorable Weyrleaders wishes to once again see my friend.

"Thanks," he said, addressing both of them. He turned and walked back to the council room. As soon as he entered, F'lar gestured for him to take a seat in the chair he left a minute ago.

"We discussed your situation," the Weyrleader said when Audwin was settled. "Varthikes, at least, must stay in the Weyr while you're here. Ramoth will tell the other dragons here to advise their riders to keep to themselves about them seeing you. We don't know how the Lord Holders will react to him. In which case, he must really be careful tomorrow during the Hatching."

Hatching. Audwin fought to conceal his surprise upon hearing that event. He knew that there was a clutch laid at Benden Weyr at this time with Ramoth in the Hatching Grounds. But, that they had a chance to actually see a Pernese dragon Hatching! Quickly, Audwin refocused his thoughts on this meeting. "And you would prefer not to find out, I understand," Audwin replied with a nod. "But he and I will need to get to the shore where we arrived here."

"We will assign a rider to be your escort in that case and take the route we used." There was a short pause before F'lar continued, "Mnementh tells me that you two were discussing a possible way of returning to where you belong."

Audwin replied in the affirmative and told them what he and the Draconian had come up with. "We can go tomorrow if possible," he said when he was finished. "Or the day after. I would hate to be the cause of anyone missing that glorious occasion."

"Very good. In the meantime, you and Varthikes will be assigned a weyr. There are a few available in the upper levels."

"That will be fine."

So, Audwin and Varthikes were given lodging in one of the uppermost weyrs-lodging that Audwin hoped would be temporary-on the southeast side of the Weyr. They both looked out over the Weyr in the twilight. The walls of the Weyr appeared black against the darkening blue sky with glowing blue-green points of light from the many pairs of Pernese dragon eyes marking the individual weyrs. Audwin, sitting with his legs dangling over the ledge, could not help but to wonder what they thought of Varthikes' completely different eyes that glowed gold into the darkness.

"This is a really awkward situation, Varth," Audwin told him after a long, contemplative silence, finally answering the question that his friend had asked what seemed like two hours before. The Draconian turned both eyes to him and Audwin continued without meeting them. "When I was talking to the weyrleaders, when I was sitting in that council room, when I tasted that Benden wine I know them. I know what they have done, what they're going to do, what has happened, and what will happen "

Audwin had told Varthikes about his suspicion earlier. That this all was an illusion. But, Varthikes told him that he sensed it all to be real.

Have you not told me that you had many times dreamed of being here and meeting them? Varthikes asked. Just as you have once wished to meet a being like myself and my kind?

"That was before I met you, whom I had never actually read in a book. Don't misunderstand me. I find this whole experience amazing, but also strange at the same time." Varthikes' glowing eyes turned away as he considered his friend's response. Audwin looked out toward the Bowl. Then, looking back at Varthikes, he asked, "What about you? How do you feel about finding ourselves here?"

The Draconian immediately turned both eyes to meet his two upon hearing that inquiry. He jerked his head backward and ruffled his wings. A wave of delight and wonder washed over Audwin's mind, forcing his lips into a large smile. Varthikes seemed to allow the emotions a moment to speak for him before saying, Many times while listening to you read have I envisioned myself flying over Benden Weyr as I did this sunrise! Just as I have thought of visiting other worlds Beyond. The first world is this that I have visited Beyond Draconia. Varthikes turned his eyes toward the star-filled night sky. I see for the first time the sky of sunfall from another world. Not so different does it look aside from the stars being in unfamiliar patterns. Then, he looked back at Audwin and turned serious. More alien am I here than that sky. You, at least, have here fellow Humans-beings of your kind who look like you. Different am I, however, from those dragons despite having similar basic form. I understand now how you must have felt when you first came to Bare Peak Range upon my shoulders with honorable Sage Vethes and Slezaphing.

Audwin put a hand on Varth's forearm as they looked back out over the Weyr. Will we next sunrise look for the opening that brought us here from Draconia? Varthikes asked at length.

Audwin shook his head. "F'lar would have to assign us an escort, and Ramoth's clutch hatches next sunrise." Varthikes snapped both eyes to him and flicked his wings in surprise. "I don't want to be the cause for anyone missing that."

Tilting his head to one side after the last statement, Varthikes said with amusement, I sense that to be not the only reason why you wish not to go.

Audwin chuckled. "You're right. I want to be here for that, too."

As do I, the other agreed.

"Be careful, Varth," Audwin cautioned him seriously. "The weyrleaders do not want you to be seen by the Lord Holders. You remember how they can be."

I will be careful, Varthikes promised.

More to come...
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

III

I
T WAS not unusual for Audwin to stay out late with Varthikes. They often spent the night gazing at the stars and Audwin would sleep outside with him on summer nights. So, she didn't give his absence the night before much thought. But, as she woke up that morning, everything seemed disturbingly silent in their house. She looked over to the other side of the bed to find it still vacant and undisturbed. She sat up, ignoring the cramp-like pain that cried out in her back, and called Audwin's name. There was no answer. Even when he did spend the night outside, he would still make breakfast for them both, but there was no smell of food being cooked or sounds coming from the kitchen indicating that something was being prepared.

She swung her feet out from under the covers over the side of the bed to the floor. No longer covered by the blankets, the cool summer morning washed over her refreshingly, neither warm nor too cold.

She looked down at the weight in her swollen belly and ran a gentle hand over her smooth skin. The baby was due any day now. "Where is your father?" she asked her daughter in an attempt to calm her own worry. She could not concieve it possible that, after a year together, Audwin would just decide to leave her. She knew Varthikes would not have allowed anything to happen. If something did happen, Varthikes would have flown in as fast as he could to inform them. Unless something happened to them both But, Varthikes was a thirty-foot-long Draconian with a mouthful of sharp teeth, strong talons, and able to spit fire. What could possibly happen to him?

She rose to her feet, groaning softly at soreness in her hips, and began to get dressed. After breakfast, she left the house and wobbled across the graveled street to the Administration Building. After being granted permission through the secretary, she continued through the opened door to the governor's office.

"Please, have a seat, Ilka," Governor Kiyoshi Takamura said, smiling pleasantly and with a gesture to one of two cushioned bamboo armchair in front of his desk.

"Good morning, Kiyoshi," Ilka said as she settled gratefully into the offered seat. "Ha-have you seen Audwin this morning?" she asked, trying her best contain her worry.

Takamura's smile faded. "I have not seen him since yesterday morning before he left with Varthikes. He did not come home last night?"

Ilka shook her head. "I know that he and Varthikes enjoy spending the night together stargazing. Audwin usually ends up sleeping outside with him then. But he-he's usually home in the morning when I wake up."

"Have you checked with the Draconian guardians?" Takamura asked. "Perhaps he was called away on urgent business related to his ambassadorial duties."

Ilka nodded as she considered that possibility. Then, a welcoming bugle trumpeted from the landing field and a response was heard from the sky above them. "Perhaps that is them now," Takamura said with a gentle smile as he stood. Ilka did likewise and followed the governor out the door.

The moment they stepped outside, a Draconian with wide-spread wings passed right overhead toward the landing field. They turned a corner onto the road that lead straight to the field. Upon arriving, they found that an adolescent queen had joined the two guardians. They all turned to face the Humans on their approach.

The queen bowed her head toward the governor and arched her wings toward the ground in a respectful stance. "Greetings, Sarkiphing," Takamura said in reply to her greeting to him.

She raised her head and turned her focus to Ilka and the two exchanged a more intimate greeting. Is your youngling well?

Ilka put a hand on her swollen belly. "She's well. Should be out any day-sunrise now."

Very good is that to hear, Sarkiphing replied in a pleased tone. Then, after pausing to change subjects, she said, Here have I come to see if Audwin was present in a possible attempt to locate Varthikes.

"I-I was about to ask you the same question," Ilka answered. "They're not at Bare Peak Range?"

They are not.

"I haven't seen them since yesterday-last sunrise-when they went to the beach to swim. They I know they love spending the night together, but Audwin always returns in the morning."

As she spoke, Sarkiphing sensed increasing worry. Possible is it that they have embarked upon the explorings that they also enjoy doing, she suggested in an attempt to relieve the Human queen's anxiety.

Ilka shook her head. "I Audwin would have told me if he had. And, he didn't take any of the things he normally takes with him on such journeys. I-I don't know what could've happened to them both."

A moment of silence hung between them while Sarkiphing considered what Ilka had said. Swimming you said they were the last time you saw them? she finally asked.

"Yes. In Sunrise Sea." Ilka waved a hand back toward the sea.

The shores will I then search and return here with my findings. She turned back to the guardians and told them what was happening. Shortly after, one of them followed Sarkiphing into the sky and proceeded to the sea.

Sarkiphing and the guardian, Varthnes, reached the sea in a single beat and proceeded in opposite directions around the circumference of the sea. While her gliding wings carried her upon cushioning air currents, Sarkiphing kept her eyes on the sandy shore that passed beneath her. It was all plain-nothing out of the ordinary. Then, her sharp eye caught something that did not look like it belonged on the beach. Its color made it stand out heavily with the lighter sand and rocky cliff.

She tilted her wings into a sharp spiral. She flapped her wings to brake her descent and extended her hindlegs for a soft landing right near the items that caught her interest. Cautiously, she extended a talon to touch it and spread it out. There were several items, she realized, and found that they were the materials that Humans used to adorn themselves. She found pieces that went over a Human torso and that covered Human feet.

She looked up and around but found no one in sight. She watched the sea for a minute in case there was a Human diving. Humans, she knew, could hold their breaths for only a short time, but she did not see any movement in the water to suggest one of them rising for air.

These could be the belongings of Audwin, she thought. But where were he and Varthikes? She did not recall there being any large predatory creatures swimming in this sea that could have over-powered a Draconian. A Human, maybe, but Varthikes, she knew, would not have allowed his closest friend to fall prey to anything. She scooped up the torso covering in her talons and leaped back into flight and proceeded to the other side of the sea where Varthnes searched.

When he was in sight, she bugled to him. Something have I found! she exclaimed. She saw the king turn about to fly toward her.

What is it that you have found? he asked.

Human coverings which may belong to Audwin, she answered. She was coming alongside Varthnes now, showing him the garment in her clawed hand.

To Governor Takamura and Doctor McClance must we show this, Varthnes said with concern at length. The remainder of the shore will I continue to search while you do that.

So, as Varthnes turned to resume his previous course around the lake, Sarkiphing turned about and proceeded toward the Human settlement of Hatching.

It It is Audwin's, Ilka said, examining the shirt in her hands. She had been sitting in a chair that had been brought out to the field when Sarkiphing had returned. Sarkiphing now sensed from her a sharp increase in her anxiety as Ilka looked up at her. She looked as if she was about to produce those droplets that fell from Human eyes in times of sorrow or intense happiness, but none came-yet. This This all you found? she asked.

I found also feet coverings when I found that. Then, in an attempt to allay further worry, she added, Still is Varthnes searching the remainder of the shore. Possible is it that he may find something additional.

More to come...
Dean Martlou
Master chief petty officer

Post by Dean Martlou »

hurrah.

collectively, 83/100.
i find the concept a little odd, if only because the fictional element of Pern's existence is acknowledged.
Oops.

I shouldn't have told you that last part.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

IV

A
UDWIN DRIFTED back into consciousness, opening his eyes to the morning light. He found himself sitting against a large arm covered in tough scales. That was nothing unusual. But the cave in which he found himself was. Joyful sunrisings, he heard Varth's thought-voice say.

Audwin looked up to meet the golden eye that was looking down at him. Then, with a rush, he remembered the previous day. "Good morning, Varth," he said as he began yawning. "We're still on Pern?"

We are, Varthikes answered. You thought that you were dreaming?

Audwin nodded and proceeded to stand up, followed by Varthikes. They both stretched, Varthikes with a gigantic yawn of his own that displayed an impressive array of large sharp, backward-pointing teeth. Together, they approached the ledge and looked down at a Weyr that looked as fresh as the day. The sun-Rukbat, it was called-peaked over the southeastern wall of the Weyr, casting its blinding light on the opposite side of the Weyr from them. They looked toward the Hatching Ground where the latest clutch of Ramoth would be hatching later that day. Audwin blinked and where he had seen empty sky before, a large brown dragon was now present. He had just transferred in through between, Audwin realized. As if his reentry was a signal, other dragons blinked into the sky during his descent, all carrying passengers for the Hatching.

Audwin's attention, however, was focused on the large brown with four people on his shoulders. Canth, he identified, coming to land at the other end of the bowl from their weyr.

Audwin turned to Varthikes and asked, Would you mind taking me down there?

Absolutely would I not mind,
Varthikes replied graciously, offering his right forearm. He was pleased that Audwin had made the request. As soon as Audwin was settled, Varthikes leaped from the ledge and glided toward where the brown had landed. Audwin gripped his tough-scaled neck with his arms as the g-forces threatened to sweep him off the Draconian's back. He tried hard to keep his eyes open to the magnificent view of the burnt-red rocky arena, but his eyelids determinedly overrode that desire in order to keep his eyes protected from the onrush of wind.

Remember to stay inconspicuous to the holders, Varth, Audwin told him during their descent.

I remember, Varthikes replied understandingly. Look, Audwin, skyward toward the Hatching Grounds.

Audwin had been focused on the dragons landing around the bowl when he heard Varthikes' direction. He did as he was told and was rewarded with a sight of a number of gold and bronze bodies dancing about in the air. They looked like miniature versions of the dragons that occupied the weyrs around them. "Fire-lizards!" he identified them with awe. Two surprises already this sunrise, Varth, he told his friend. First, Canth; now, fire-lizards.

Three with the Hatching,
Varthikes amended. Then, Audwin felt the Draconian's throat vibrate between his legs with a mild growl. He grumbled, Envious of you am I for being able to witness the Hatching-a Pernese Hatching.

I'm sorry, Varth,
Audwin said sympathetically, patting the tough neck scales affectionately. I'll try to remember every detail as best I can so you can see it in my mind later.

Varthikes set down on the side of the great brown opposite of which the passengers were disembarking. As Varth helped Audwin to the sandy ground, a laugh reached their ears followed by a masculine voice. "Go on and find Mirrim. She's probably in the kitchen caverns supervising breakfast." The source of the voice was hidden at the moment by the great brown. But, Audwin, looking up to meet Varth's left eye, had a good guess who it was.

Audwin began walking in a northwesterly direction with Varthikes tentatively following behind him. The brown dragon had already taken notice of them by then, and the man who had spoken revealed himself. "Joyful greetings," he said with a smile and a respectful bow of his head. Varthikes did likewise and spoke the greeting telepathically to both dragon and man, who halted his approach upon hearing the Draconian's thought-voice. The scars that Audwin saw lining the man's face screamed to be noticed and confirmed his guess. And, if he had any doubt that this great brown was Canth, he doubted no longer. Seems we've arrived sometime after F'nor's and Canth's near-fatal jump to the Red Star, he told Varthikes upon seeing the scars.

F'nor exchanged looks with his dragon. After a moment, he turned back to the strangers and continued his approach. "You're not from around here. Him especially," he added with a nod to Varthikes.

"No, we're not," Audwin confirmed, taking the gloved hand that was offered to him. "We're visitors-unexpected visitors. In more ways than one. I'm Audwin." Gesturing to the Draconian, he added, "He's Varthikes, or Varth for short."

"F'nor, rider of Canth."

"We're both honored. But, I'm sure you two have others things to do before the Hatching, so we'll let you get to them."

After a friendly parting word, Audwin continued toward the kitchen caverns. Varthikes left his side, telling him that he was going over to the lake. Remember to keep your distance from the herdbeasts, Varth, Audwin warned him. Then, added, Unless you're hungry, of course. Varthikes replied that he was not, having eaten the previous sunrise before his arrival at Hatching.

While Varthikes started toward the lake, Audwin continued toward the caverns. Audwin reached the entrance to the caverns and slowed his pace as he stepped through. He paused there for moment while a spicy aroma assaulted his nose, washing out the last traces of sleepiness. His eyes scanned the room. It was emptier than when he was there the previous night. The emptiness made it look bigger. A voice drifted toward him, drawing his attention to a group of people making their way from the smallest cooking hearth to one of the smaller tables. Trailing the group was a young man who looked to be in his teens. "I can't stop long with you " one of the two women in the group was saying.

Audwin tried to look as inconspicuous as possible as he made his way to the hearth that the group had just departed. He couldn't help but to overhear the conversation as he helped himself to some toasted cereal and what looked to him to be the klah beverage that was a common occurrence in the books. As he turned to head to one of the tables, four of the fire-lizards that he and Varthikes had seen on the way down appeared in the cavern, swooping to join the group-a gold, with a series of chirrups, and a bronze on each of the reddish-haired woman's shoulders, another gold on the tanned man, and the other bronze on the teen's.

This scene was becoming increasingly familiar, Audwin thought as he settled at his chosen table in a chair positioned so that he was neither looking away, nor looking straight at them. "I thought that was Rocky," the brown-haired woman accused.

That jogged Audwin's memory. Rocky? Audwin recalled that fire lizard name and to whom he was Impressed.

The other woman laughed. "It is, but Piemur helps me feed him everyday so Rocky's just reminding us he's hungry, too."

So, Audwin realized, he and Varthikes had arrived in the middle of the events of Dragondrums. Those gathered at that table were Menolly, Sebell, and Piemur with Mirrim the one getting meat scraps for the fire lizards. The one named Mirrim, with three more fire-lizards following-one brown, two green-delivered the meat scraps just as her name was called from one of the main hearths. Audwin continued to listen to the exchanges between the other three as he ate his breakfast.

Even as he listened, his mind tried to grasp the enormity of actually witnessing a live-action enactment of the scene he had read so many times-only it wasn't an act; these were the actual characters in the flesh. And this was to be first of many familiar scenes to which he would be in audience.

He finished shortly after they did and followed their example with his dishes. After that he left the cavern and proceeded to jog over to the lake where Varthikes was enjoying a wallow.

Varthikes made his way over to the lakeshore, deciding to go the whole way on his four feet instead of flying the course. Pernese dragons gathered there-either on the shore or in the lake-inclined their heads with their strange, multifaceted eyes toward him. He sensed from them curiosity mixed with caution.

Respectful greetings, he told them with a slight bow as he continued on toward the lake. He noticed that there were several Humans on the sand who also had their eyes on him. He repeated to them what he had told the dragons. The surprise he sensed from them as a result amused him. Varthikes understood the reason for their surprise. Dragonriders here, he knew, typically only heard the thought-voice of the dragon to whom they were bonded.

Idly, as he waded his forefeet into the water and lowered his mouth to drink, he wondered how it would feel to be bonded in such a way with Audwin. He and Audwin did experience a strong bond of friendship, but it was not the same as the bond of life that these dragons experienced with their riders. If Audwin died, he would certainly be depressed for sometime, but he would not have the unstoppable urge to kill himself, too.

You are the different one, he heard a thought-voice tell him. He craned his head left, bringing both eyes to bear on the brown dragon that had approached him. Golden eyes with vertically-slit pupils met green, multifaceted pupilless eyes.

Indeed I am, Varthikes confirmed pleasantly. This brown was only half-again as big as Varthikes. He bowed his head in a gesture of greeting and introduced himself.

Your name matches you. It is also different, the dragon commented. Varthikes did not sense any contempt in the dragon's thought-voice. The comment was merely an accurate observation. I am Esoth. My rider is E'war. Esoth and E'war. Varthikes tried to recall that pair from what he had heard Audwin read of Pern. He didn't remember those names. Of course, the fact that those names were unfamiliar wasn't necessarily a cause for alarm. Not every dragon and rider pair in the Pern stories was named. E'war heard your greeting, though he is not one who can hear all dragons.

To any being whose mind is open may those of my kind communicate, Varthikes explained. With a deep-throated chuckle, he added, Even the minds of those grazers may I touch-even if they most likely would not understand.

The brown tilted his head in an expression that would accompany puzzlement in a Draconian. It did so here, too, it seemed, sensing what emanated from his mind. Why would you want to touch their minds?

Varthikes chuckled again as he slapped the ground with his whip-like tail in an emphasized display of amusement. Many at Bare Peak would ask the same thing if he told them that he scanned the minds of the creatures that they preyed upon. Simply out of curiosity, he answered the brown.

During the exchange, two Humans had joined Esoth's side. Varthikes identified them as two of the Humans he had seen while making his way to this lake. He sensed Esoth's mind connect with the mind of one of the Humans.

The man nearest to me is E'war, Esoth told him.

Pleased am I to be meeting you, E'war, Varthikes said with a bow of his head to the Human Esoth had indicated. Then, he focused on the other Human. Appropriate is it for me to ask what your name is?

He sensed that the Humans were surprised once again by his diplomatic query. T'gran, the other Human answered uncertainly.

Pleased am I to be meeting you as well as E'war, he said with a bow of his head. I am Varthikes.

Audwin looked around with appreciation at the many dragons gathered around the lake. He saw two riders standing on the bank of the lake and moved to join them. Though they never spoke his name, Audwin knew that they were conversing about Varthikes. "He definitely wasn't hatched on Pern," the further one commented.

"Where else if not on Pern?" asked the one closer to Audwin.

The first speaker shrugged. "How should I know? But, have you ever seen or heard of a dragon looking like that?"

"No," the second admitted. "But then, I've neither seen nor heard of a white dragon either."

"Ruth, at least, looks like a proper Pernese dragon despite his compact size." The second speaker nodded understanding. "What do you think?" the first one asked.

Audwin turned to find them looking at him. "You're asking me?" he asked.

The first speaker nodded his affirmative and added with a gesture to the Draconian, "About him."

Audwin glanced at his friend, seeing that he was wallowing alongside a Pernese brown. Audwin brought his focus back to the two riders with a lopsided grin. "Ah, him. Well He definitely wasn't hatched on Pern. I can tell you that with full surety."

"See? He agrees with me," the questioner told his companion.

"It's more than agreement," Audwin clarified. "It's simply a definite fact."

"Where could he have been hatched if not on Pern?" the other asked.

Audwin considered his response for a moment. "Elsewhere," he finally said, turning his eyes skyward. He turned back to see their perplexed expressions. Extending his hand toward them, he said, "I'm Audwin, by the way."

The two riders accepted his hand and introduced themselves in turn. E'war was the first speaker; T'gran was the other. "Audwin," the latter said experimentally. "I've never seen you before. You're a guest for the Hatching?"

Audwin nodded slyly. "I'm a guest. Though, the fact that I'm here during a Hatching is merely a coincidence." Wading sounds drew his attention toward the lake where Varthikes was approaching him, sunlight glittering over his wet scales. "Having fun, Varth?"

Indeed I am, the Draconian answered joyfully.

Audwin turned back to the two riders and grinned at their stunned looks as realization began dawning on them as they pieced together his cryptic responses. "We're good friends. Isn't that right, friend Varth?"

Absolutely, friend Audwin, he agreed. From his tone, Varthikes sounded that he was also enjoying the surprise that he sensed from the Pernese Humans.

"You're the one who arrived yesterday with him escorted by Mnementh and F'lar?" E'war asked with a gesture to Varthikes.

"Arrived from where?" T'gran asked.

"The Eastern Sea, directly," Audwin answered. "Ultimately Well As I said: elsewhere. And elsewhen."

No idea have we as to how we got here, but hope do we have that we will be able to return, Varthikes told them, following the exchange as best as he could from what he sensed in their minds.

"I hope so, too," E'war said sympathetically.

A distant hum reached them at that point and they all turned their attention to the Hatching Grounds at the other end of the Bowl. Immediately, Esoth started forward and, causing Audwin to cock his eyebrows, Varthikes moved to follow. A place on the ledges did Esoth say he would get me a position, he told Audwin hurriedly when asked. Worry not. I will not draw attention to myself.

We're in Dragondrums,
Audwin told the Draconian as he launched into the sky, now full of Pernese dragons, after the brown.

"Shall we go?" E'war asked him and his companion. Together they started off toward the Hatching Grounds.

More to come...
Dean Martlou

Post by Dean Martlou »

Varthikes:

a: to avoid confusion, your name in this thread is Bob.
b: Varthikes' grammar get's pretty messed up at times, like attempted Yodish. try to go over eachphrase a couple of times in you head or even out loud in order to see if it works.
c: although i like the cameos by various Pernese celebrities (brilliant job acknowledging F'nor's injuries from his successful attempt at being misguided) it is clear that many of them serve little or no purpose. F'lar and Lessa were necessary, but strictly speaking, Ramoth wasn't. Mirrim, Menolly, and company were necessary to establish the when, but try not to make this into a festival of meeting every single major character.
d: we need a Masterharper Robinton/Lord Jaxom/Aivas deathmatch. Jaxom wins, but Robinton gets to kill Aivas. (you still paying attention? good.)
e: you're inspiring me to make my own. i hate it when others inspire me, 'cause then i feel obligated to do whatever they inspired me to do. i may move The Ballad of Danny Hulgan here first, though.
6: make me a cookie!

anydoodles, 85/100.
Oops.

I shouldn't have told you that last part.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

V

V
ARTHNES had returned to Hatching reporting, in a sorrowful tone, negative on his continued search. Sarkiphing had gone off to Bare Peak to inform the honorable Sages of the situation. At the same time, Governor Takamura had Doctor Walstik, the colony's chief scientist, to prepare the necessary equipment to search beneath the sea surface and a team working up a search grid.

Takamura was in the Landing Field with Ilka and the guardians when the chief scientist approached him. "We've got all six of our aqua-probes in the skiff," he reported.

"Thank you, doctor. Get them to the pier and prepare a survey boat," the governor instructed. "Then, stand by for the grid that Commander Pekkanen's team is working out."

"Yes, sir," Walstik nodded in acknowledgement. "Jessie at the Warehouses is loading up a second skiff with equipment for a Command Post, as you ordered."

"Thank you," Takamura said. With that, Walstik turned and started back toward the building that served as the science laboratory and the infirmary.

Fifteen minutes passed, during which Takamura escorted Ilka to his home where his wife, Genisa, took her in to comfort her and get her out of the sun. On his way back to the Landing Field, his secretary joined him to tell that the skiff for the Command Post was ready to depart. "I will inform the guardians that we are moving out," Takamura said. "Has Commander Pekkanen's team yet developed a search grid?"

"They have, sir," she replied. "And, Lieutenants Drennan and Farcorn are waiting for you at the Command Post skiff.

"Good. I will be there shortly."

Takamura told the guardians that they wanted to set up the Command Post where Audwin's clothes were found and asked Varthnes if he could lead them to where that was. Varthnes agreed. Along the shore you intend to travel?

"That's right," Takamura affirmed with a nod.

Below that cliff, then, will I await you, the guardian said, pointing his snout toward the cliff that the colony overlooked.

"Understood." Takamura turned and walked off to join his crew at the skiff while Varthnes turned to Siephyring and told her to remain with the colony. When she acknowledged, Varthnes leapt into the sky and began working his mighty wings to gain altitude. With the Humans following on the ground with their vehicle, which also worked over water, the guardian flew on to where he had found the Human feet coverings earlier that sunrise.

Upon arrival, they immediately set to work in setting up the post as far from the tide marks as the nearby cliff allowed. Varthnes watched their progress with interest. They had just finished putting up the gazebo when a pair of Draconians was seen approaching from the southeast. Trumpeting bugles were exchanged between the newcomers and Varthnes, who rose to his hindlegs and arched his wings upward in the Draconian welcoming posture.

With Verimithes Sarkiphing returns, Varthnes informed the governor as he returned to all fours and retracted his wings.

Concerned greetings, honorable Governor Takamura, came the thought-voice he recognized as belonging to Verimithes. They were now spiraling to land before them.

"We are pleased to see you, Verimithes," Takamura said.

The clutchmates touched the ground with their hindlegs and lowered to all fours. Of the situation have I informed the honorable Sages, Sarkiphing told him. Ahead have we come while honorable Sage Vethes gathers a search flight. Soon will he be arriving.

"We are grateful, Sarkiphing." The governor's com-link sounded and, excusing himself, switched it on receive.

"Doctor Walstik, sir," came the voice of the chief scientist. "Commander Pekkanen just sent us their search grid. We're ready to begin."

"Please do so, doctor." Looking over to the Command Post crew, who were busy hooking up and activating the equipment that will interface with the aqua-probes. "We, ourselves, are nearly ready here."

"Acknowledged. Walstik out."

As soon as the Command Post was set up, Takamura signaled their readiness to Walstik, who responded by saying that they were now entering the sea from the strait that bridged the sea to the ocean. At the same time, a flight of half-dozen arrived led by Sage Vethes. Those Draconians already there exchanged greetings with the new-arrivals.

When the flight landed, Takamura informed the Sage what they were planning to do. In response, Vethes instructed his flight to begin combing the sea beneath the surface.

A copy of the search grid was sent to the console that was set up under the gazebo. The search vessel would circle the sea, while Walstik and his team released aqua-probes into the depths at regular distant intervals. Vethes and Varthnes remained with the Command Post while the other seven Draconians set out into the sea. They would focus on the immediate area first. Then, they would cross paralleling each other. Upon reaching the other side, three would repeat the pattern in one direction while the other four went the other.

They never made it that far, however, before a middle-aged queen named Selphgaring emerged from the sea. She stepped awkwardly at first while readjusting to her full weight, no longer supported by the water, as she approached the Command Post. She came to stand before the Sage and the governor, who had come to stand side-by-side each other to receive the queen. Honorable Sage, honorable governor, she began, her thought-voice sounding nervous. By something in the water I found myself being pulled. No source of the pull could I see, however.

Pull?
Vethes repeated, his left eye meeting Takamura's two.

Hard against a current I found myself fighting, Selphgaring explained.

"And you could not see what it was?" Takamura asked, puzzled.

Nothing else was there in the water with me, she answered. Not even the usual water life.

"At least that you could see with your eyes," Takamura said, more to himself. "I will have Doctor Walstik and his team to come straight here and deploy an aqua-probe in the area." The governor returned to the gazebo, instructing the two officers there to send a message to Walstik's boat.

Several minutes later, Walstik's boat appeared on the horizon northwest of their position, and Selphgaring headed back out to escort them to where she found herself being pulled. Vethes and Takamura waited on the shore until the queen and the boat were both in position. Walstik reported over the com-link when Selphgaring told them that they were over the anomaly.

"We are now preparing to deploy an aqua-probe," the scientist said. "Linking our computers with yours so you will see the information the probe sends up to us."

A moment later, the two computer screens beneath the gazebo flickered. One switched to the point-of-view of the probe as it was lowered into the water. The other remained blank, awaiting the transmission of the probe's sensor readings.

"Deploying the probe," Walstik said just before they saw the probe's camera enter the water. Takamura heard the scientist over the link instructing Selphgaring what he wanted her to do.

Soft footsteps on the sand drew Takamura's attention briefly to find Sage Vethes lowering to his belly and looking into the gazebo at the computer screens. That is what your aqua-probe sees? the Sage asked.

The governor affirmed as Walstik began a commentary of what was happening. "Selphgaring is swimming ahead. We are following with the probe." On the screen, they saw the queen, her golden form shrouded in the eerie greenish-blue of the sea. She alternated between her wings and her legs to propel herself through the water. While the probe moved after her, readings began coming in on the second screen-detailing the water pressure, the temperature, the current strength, traces of various minerals, microscopic lifeforms

Selphgaring continued to lead the probe for an uneventful minute before the readings on the probe's data screen began to change drastically. They saw the queen on the probe camera screen make a ninety-degree turn in the water and, struggling for a moment against a current, push away from the invisible pull that she described earlier. "Pressure is increasing above normal for this depth," Walsik reported over the link. "Current is also increasing."

"We still don't see anything," Takamura pointed out.

"I know. I'll try switching between different frequencies beyond what we can see." As Walstik modified the probe's camera to see beyond the range of Human eyes, the colors on the camera-view screen changed and distorted. The probe, in the meantime, picked up speed, as one of the officers beneath the gazebo noted. "Reverse the propeller," Walstik told the person controlling the probe. "Equalize the propeller's speed with the current."

The person in charge of the remote did as he was instructed. Walstik finished switching through the frequencies as the probe remained more-or-less stabilized in position. Coming back to normal view, Walstik let out an audible sigh. "Nothing."

"I'm seeing unusual readings on the probe's data receiver," one of the officers commented. "The presence of foreign particles."

"Foreign for Draconia?" Takamura asked, thinking of the calaquim mineral that was common in the waters of this world. Calaquim slowed aging and strengthened the body's immune system-both, in Draconians and Humans-and, if concentrated, rapidly healed flesh wounds.

"We see it, too," Walstik said. "I would guess they're foreign even for Draconia-at least in this area. We have surveyed these waters over the past year without finding any trace of what this probe is seeing." There was a pause for a moment before the chief scientist continued, "We'll move the probe ahead slowly." On the camera screen, they saw that the probe was again in forward motion, steadily picking up speed as the current continued to pull it toward the invisible source.

What concern is there? Vethes asked. Takamura turned and relayed to him what they found. Never has your kind encountered these particles before in your journeys Beyond?

Takamura considered that for a moment. He wasn't sure, but it was worth investigating. "I will have Captain Trihard and his crew compare the readings with anything that they may have on record."

Takamura turned to address his officers and instructed one of them to send the probe's readings to Commander Pekkanen at Command-in-Control to be sent up to Captain Trihard in command of the task force assigned to protect Draconia in orbit.

Takamura was just reaching to activate his com-link to speak to Pekkanen when he heard Walstik's voice exclaim, "There's a sharp increase in the concentration of unknown particles! And, the pull is increasing!" There was a sudden explosion of light on the probe's camera, ending with the screen blank and words reading, "TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED."

"What happened?" Takamura asked over the com-link to Walstik. The two officers were on their feet, gawking with stunned expressions at the now-blank screen. One of them started to work the appropriate keyboard, trying to get the transmission back.

"The water off our starboard bow swelled at the same time we lost contact with the camera," Walstik said.

Vethes asked what had happened. Takamura told him.

"Selphgaring says that she was watching the probe at the time when she saw the flash of light. The probe, she says, is no longer where it was. Nor is it anywhere on the floor that she can see."

"Where could it be then?" Takamura asked no one in particular.

"Wherever Ambassador McClance and Varthikes are most likely," Walstik answered after a moment of uncertain silence.

More to come...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

VI

V
ARTHIKES STOOD beside Esoth on one of ledges overlooking the Hatching Grounds. He looked down upon the crowd of Humans that filled one side of the large chamber. On the other side was sand upon which the eggs had been laid. Ramoth, her eyes yellow, stood fidgeting nearby there with F'lar and Lessa standing on a ledge above her.

When he and Esoth arrived, the cavern was vibrating with the hum of the Pernese dragons-their attention all on the eggs. His body tingled with the sound waves that bounced off of him from nearly every direction.

He stood on the ledge now, and the hum intensified. Beside him, Esoth's full attention was also on the eggs and he hummed with the others. Varthikes looked around, inspecting the chamber from where he was and watching all the dragons-mostly bronze and browns-with their purple-hued, multifaceted eyes intent on the eggs below. In the tiers above the sands, he saw the Humans of Pern-holders, craftsmen, weyrfolk. It was just like he'd seen many times in Audwin's mind as he read the stories that were set on this very world. Toward the back of the tiers, he saw Audwin standing beside E'war. He was looking around the chamber with the same amount of exhilaration as he, himself, was experiencing. Granted; he sensed excitement from every other Human down there, a Hatching being an important event in the Pernese life. But, what he and Audwin felt was different. Unlike the others in the chamber, they knew what was going to take place at this Hatching.

Audwin. His Human friend looked up at him. Being fairly different in appearance from the others around him, Varthikes was very easy to spot-that is, if one knew that there was such a different creature present. During the story of Dragondrums you said this Hatching is?

That's right,
came the reply.

Varthikes thought to recall what happened at the Hatching in that particular story. There were so many of those events throughout the whole series. Struggling to recall am I what took place at that particular Hatching.

F'lar and Lessa's son, Felessan, Impresses a bronze named Golanth,
Audwin reminded him. And, Mirrim Impresses a green named Path.

White clad Human figures began making their way across the sands at that point toward the eggs. They had formed a loose semi-circle around the gently rocking eggs when a slight grumble sounded from Ramoth. He sensed from her agitation. Regarding what, he could not be certain, but he felt it had to do with what was about to take place. Her younglings were about to hatch and be bonded permanently to a Human.

Murmuring rippled through the crowd below as the eggs began to shake more violently. A snap was heard from the clutch over the murmurings, and the dragons around him increased the intensity of their humming even more. From the candidates, he sensed nervousness, though they were putting up a good fight to keep it concealed in their minds. From those watching, he sensed hopeful anticipation, envy, and nostalgia-the latter mostly coming from the dragonriders who were reliving the moment when they were on those sands.

The other eggs began rocking violently with the first one. The first one suddenly split apart to reveal a small, brown hatchling, the light glowing off the walls of the cavern glistening off the youngling's wet back and wings. He stepped forward on wobbly legs, wings dragging in the sand, calling out piteously. The hum that the adults around Varthikes were emitting turned into an encouraging croon. A sharp pang of hunger reached Varthikes' mind from the youngling. Unlike Draconian hatchlings, these didn't eat their eggshells, so they would depend on whoever they chose to Impress upon to give them their first meal of meat.

Varthikes watched as the brown hatchling staggered about until he came to a group of adolescent Human kings. Varthikes could sense the bond being established between the dragonet-Horoth-and one of the boys.

Meanwhile, other eggs were hatching and other Impressions being made. A great deal of attention, he sensed, was being directed toward one particular person among the candidates. One in a group with several hatchlings nearby-one bronze, one blue, and two browns. Could that one be Felessan? Varthikes wondered. Then, the bronze fell forward and buried his head into the sand. One of the Human kings stepped forward and he sensed the bronze's mind meld with him.

Ramoth, mirroring the feelings he sensed from her life-companion, let out a bugle that startled the crowd in momentary silence. The reaction that he saw and felt from F'lar and Lessa confirmed is earlier guess. That was Felessan-now F'lessan-Impressing Golanth. They followed the other newly-bonded pairs out of the Hatching Grounds.

Very quickly, a lone green was all that was left on the sands. She rejected one Human after the other of those who remained un-bonded. The distress Varthikes sensed from her was strong as she made her way toward the tiers and the spectators. Varthikes had an urge to reach out with his mind to the youngling to reassure her. But, he forced himself to keep quiet, not wanting to know what sort of consequences such an interference would result. Concern was spreading out among the watching Humans and dragon adults, the eyes of the latter beginning to turn yellow.

The hatchling suddenly crooned with joy and picked up speed toward the tiers. She had found who she was looking for. Turning an eye toward the tiers, Varthikes looked for whomever it was that had got the hatchling's attention. That was rather difficult to ascertain, considering that everyone's focus was on this hatchling. But, then, he remembered. This was Path, and she was looking for the Human queen Mirrim.

As if on cue, the one named Mirrim had stood from where she was sitting, agitation building in her mind. The green had reached the steps leading into the tiers now and tried to climb, but slipped and banged her chin on the stone. Pain from her pierced into Varthikes' mind just as Ramoth let out a fierce bugle and started toward her stripling. Varthikes started to spread his wings and was about to leap from the ledge and dive to the youngling's aid. He caught himself again, though, as doing so would certainly expose himself to the common Pernese. And, neither he, nor Audwin, nor the Weyrleaders wanted to find out what that reaction would be.

He relaxed with a restrained growl at not being able to come to the hatchling's assistance. Though it proved to be unnecessary. Mirrim started toward the hatchling, and halted when three fire-lizards-two greens and a brown-called out to her ecstatically. Then, understanding dawned in her mind of the bond that was now forming between her and the green. In her mind, she was in conflict between the reality and what should be. F'lar and Lessa were also arriving at the scene, they resigned to the reality.

Mirrim, her mind resigning to the reality, proceeded to cover the remaining distance between her and the green. Her three fire-lizards joined her and young Path, and they made their way across the sands to where the other candidates left with their dragon partners.

With the Hatching concluded, those in the tiers were beginning to swarm their way out of the cavern. One by one, the dragons on the ledges were beginning to launch themselves toward the ground to join their riders and pick up passengers. Varthikes' eyes fell on Audwin, E'war, and T'gran who were involved in a conversation with each other.

T'gran turned a grim expression to E'war and Audwin. Audwin did not need Varth's empathic abilities to know that T'gran was troubled. "Well At least the Weyrleader's son Impressed. And a bronze, at that!"

"I'm pleased with that, too," Audwin said. "But, I sense you are pleased by that for another reason." He knew what the answer would be even as he asked the question. Mirrim-a woman-has Impressed a green-a fighting dragon. This was a departure from what the Pernese were used to. But, for him being a stranger to these people, he figured he would pretend ignorance. Besides, he was not the only one here, he knew, who wasn't disturbed by that happening.

"It's not every Hatching that a hatchling chooses a partner who is not among the candidates," T'gran explained.

"Well, it happened to me," E'war said, somewhat defensively.

"Yes, but you are not a woman either." Then, eying E'war suspiciously, he added with a smirk, "At least, as far as I know " Audwin shared a smile with them. Then, they started toward the door leading out to the Weyr Bowl. Audwin hung back and turned his focus up to where Varthikes was watching the activity on the cavern floor.

What do you think? he asked his friend.

Much more exhilarating is it to experience the Hatching in this cavern than it is to listen to you read and see it in your mind. Audwin saw him rustle his wings as he quickly added, I intend no complaint towards you, please be assured.

No offense taken,
Audwin assured him. Actually, I agree with you very much, my friend. With that, he extended feelings of affection toward the Draconian, who keenly felt it. You're going to stay here?

Until everyone else has left I will,
Varth answered. You may go ahead, friend Audwin, with E'war and T'gran.

See you later, then.
Audwin turned and proceeded to leave the Hatching Grounds.

He stepped out into the Bowl in time to see the newly-Impressed hatchlings being led off toward the lake. The sound of singing voices and musical instruments being played reached his ears from the direction of the caverns.

Audwin started in that direction. Extra tables had been lain out for the many guests outside the cavern. There, five people-Harpers-were performing for those seated at the tables. Audwin identified the three he saw in the dining hall earlier-Sebell, Menolly, and Piemur-and two others. The older man would be Robinton, the MasterHarper, and the younger would the Weyr Harper-what was his name? Orhan? Ohran? Oharan? Oharan! That's it!

They were just finishing the last verse of their song commemorating the dragons and their riders when he arrived at the tables. The audience erupted in applause. Audwin joined in, his mind racing. He was actually hearing the Harpers sing!

When the applause died down, Robinton left the group, taking off toward the conference room. The other four Harpers made their way around the guests-the parents of those who had Impressed. Audwin sat down at the closest opened area of the table and watched the going-ons. Several times, he heard Menolly sing accompanied by the shrilling voices of her three fire-lizards-Beauty, Rocky, and Diver. The ones that were present, anyway. He knew she had six more back at the Harper Hall.

Audwin was practically in a daze at that point. Ever since he had started reading those Dragonriders of Pern stories twelve years ago, he had wondered what it would be like to actually be present in the audience when Menolly-his long-time favorite character-sang with her fire-lizards!

"Amazing, isn't it?" someone asked him.

Audwin jumped out of his daze and turned to the source of the voice to find E'war standing over him. "I don't think that word is an adequate description," he answered. E'war chuckled as he sat down beside him. Audwin turned back as Menolly and her choir finished their third. The fire-lizards looked like they were getting restless. After a silent grant from Menolly, they all took off, soaring over Audwin and E'war toward the lake and the hatchlings. "They're far more interested in seeing the new dragons than singing for mere Humans at the moment," Menolly explained with a chuckle, which her audience shared. Audwin laughed with them.

As she began instructing a group on how to teach fire-lizards to sing, the sound of huge wings flapping drew Audwin's attention skyward. Varthikes had left the Hatching Cavern and was now flying about the Weyr. "Varthikes?" E'war asked.

"Yeah," Audwin answered. "He decided to leave the Hatching Grounds." They watched him fly in leisure circles with no apparent destination in mind. The Pernese dragons on their respective ledges were no doubt studying his progress. "Looks like he's exercising his wings. And probably observing the going-ons of the Weyr, knowing him." He added the last part with a wry smile, which E'war mirrored.

T'gran arrived at that moment with a wineskin and three glasses. "I better warn you, Audwin," he said as he poured each of them a glass, "once you try a glass of this, you will not want to go back to wherever it is you came from."

"I already tried it," Audwin told them. "And, I must admit. I'm afraid that I will never taste the wines in my Universe the same way again." The riders laughed with him as they each took a glass.

"What's it like, your Universe?" E'war asked, curiously, as Audwin sipped from his glass. "Besides Varthikes."

"My Universe " The two riders watched him expectantly as he thought of how to answer. "Well, it's not much different from this one. Except for the fact that there's no Pern." He decided it would be best not to tell them that their world was a fictitious one where he came from. "And when I come from is several thousand Turns in the past."

"No Thread?" E'war asked with awe.

"No Thread," Audwin confirmed with a smile.

"Wow " E'war turned to his fellow rider. "Imagine, T'gran: no Thread."

"Yes. No Thread, but no Pern, either. The thought of never having to fight Thread again is one thing, but no Pern either " T'gran shook his head in disbelief.

"Well, at least, we've never found a world like Pern in our Universe," Audwin said, in an attempt to reassure his new friends. "There's still a lot that we haven't explored yet in my Universe."

They just sat for a moment, drinking their wine in contemplative silence. Then, Audwin turned to E'war and inquired, "So, E'war, you mentioned that you were among those in the tiers when you Impressed Esoth."

"Yes, that's right." E'war settled into position to tell his story. "Five Turns ago. My brother was the one on the Grounds while I was watching with our family in the tiers. But, Joncat was rejected by the hatchlings. Esoth came close to Impressing my brother. He stopped in front of him for a moment, but turned and continued toward the tier where our family and I were sitting. That's when I felt the bond beginning to take place." E'war shook his head at the memory. "To say the least, Joncat wasn't pleased. We haven't so much as seen each other since."

"I'm sorry," Audwin said, uncertain of what else to say.

E'war raised his eyes to meet Audwin's and assured him, and his dragon, Audwin guessed, "But, I do not regret it. The dragon, after all, knows best."

At least, most of the time, Audwin thought, recalling a few nasty dragonriders from his readings.

More to come...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

VII

W
ALSTIK AND his team had deployed a second aqua-probe and took it down to the vicinity where they had lost contact with the first one. It continued to monitor the anomalous readings in that area of the sea and relay the readings to Walstik's team and to the Command Post on the shore.

The sun was falling closer to the western horizon, throwing long shadows over the landscape. Lieutenants Farcorn and Drennan remained at the Post while Takamura rode the skiff back to the colony. He stopped by the storehouses to have supplies loaded on the skiff for an overnight stay at the Command Post. Then, he went over to Administration and up to Command in Control. When he arrived, Commander Pekkanen was speaking to Captain Trihard over the com-channel.

"He just arrived, captain," she said, seeing the governor enter the control room. "Captain Trihard just called in with what his crew was able to find in the Space Fleet Archives," she told the governor as he came to stand beside her workstation.

"What have you found, Captain Trihard?" Takamura asked.

"We're feeding you the record into your computer now. It's the closest match we could find to what you have down there, but it isn't an exact match. There is a sector of space near Sol System, which came to be called the Bermuda Sector. The Octavians lost a number of ships there during the latter half of the twenty-first century. The EAS Frontier, our first starship, also disappeared there at the beginning of the century. The only ship to re-emerge from that sector was the UES Discovery eleven years ago. They reported being thrown through time-millions of years in the past to Prehistoric Earth and six years into the future-their future. Logs of the Frontier were later recovered from a log buoy in the Beta Quadrant by the Vancouver revealing that they, too, were thrown through time and space. The readings that they collected of that area of space are the closest match we could find to those you got from your aqua-probes."

"Interesting," Takamura said politely. "But, you said this wasn't an exact match."

"Correct," Trihard affirmed. "I won't bore you with the details, but my science officer believes that the planetary setting of these readings could be the cause for the differences. I hope that's helpful."

"You said that the Discovery was able to return to the correct time and place of her departure?" Takamura asked.

"That's right."

"At least, then, there is a chance, however small, that Ambassador McClance and young Varthikes can return. Thank you, Captain Trihard."

"Let me know if there's any further assistance that we can provide. Trihard out." There was a click, signifying that the com-channel had closed.

Takamura focused his attention on all those present in the control room. "May I please have everyone's attention?" He waited until all eyes were on him before continuing, "I need a volunteer for nightwatch duty at the Command Post. Whoever volunteers, please report to my office by " The governor glanced at his wrist-worn com-link/chronometer and saw that the current time was 19:05. "Please meet me at my office at 20:00. Thank you." As the crew conferred with one another on who would be the volunteer, Takamura left the Command in Control.

He stepped out of the Administration Building into dusk. Lights mounted on the buildings lit up the street in lieu of the fading sunlight. Takamura passed the McClance residence and came to the home of his and his wife's.

He arrived to find that Genisa had made zaru soba for dinner. Though not of an Asian decent herself, she always enjoys providing her husband with a taste of his ancestors' homeland. And, she was very good at it, Kiyoshi was always pleased to say so.

She, Ilka, and their baby daughter were at the table. Katie was in a highchair and Genisa was feeding her when he entered the kitchen. Ilka heard his footsteps and turned on his entrance, eyes hopeful. Genisa followed suit, pausing in her feeding of young Katie. The little girl, for her part, erupted in screams of delight upon seeing her father.

Kiyoshi sighed as he stepped toward the table and prepared himself to deliver the news of Ilka's husband and their mutual Draconian friend.
"You-you bring bad news, don't you?" Ilka said, observing the governor's tired expression.

Kiyoshi sat down as Genisa stood to get him a plate and served him some of the zaru soba. "Good news and bad news, actually. Thank you, Genisa." Kiyoshi took a deep breath and gathered his thoughts. "I will start with the good news. Audwin and Varthikes may still be alive." Kiyoshi took a bite of his noodles. When his mouth was clear again, he continued, "We do not know their whereabouts. Much less how to get them back. We do, however, know how they got to wherever they are."

Ilka looked down at the table, her mind assimilating what the governor had told her. "Wait. I-I'm not sure I understand "

"We found an anomaly in the sea," Kiyoshi explained patiently. He told them about Selphgaring's discovery, leading into the incident with the aqua-probe, then Captain Trihard's information about similar disappearances.

"S-so, Audwin and Varthikes could be anywhere? Anywhere in the Universe? Anywhere in time?" Ilka asked shakily. "How-how can we ever find them?!"

Kiyoshi took another bite and sighed heavily. "I do not know, I am afraid. Certainly, Audwin and Varthikes are doing what they can to get back-wherever and whenever they are."

"Surely there must be a way back if one was found before," Genisa put in. She had gone back to feeding Katie.

Once before, Kiyoshi silently amended. But, he kept that bit to himself for Ilka's sake.

"Well, at least I was right, thinking Audwin wouldn't just fly away without a word," Ilka said, trying to console herself. "I-I would like to join you at the Command Post tomorrow."

Kiyoshi looked up from his plate, his mouth busy with the food. He swallowed and asked, "Are you sure you will be all right?"

Ilka unconsciously placed a hand on her swollen belly. "I ha-have to be out there. I don't want to sit around here doing nothing but being worried."

Kiyoshi took another bite and considered Ilka's request as he chewed. Perhaps actually doing something would be best for her and for her baby. He cleared his mouth and answered in the affirmative.

Kicking lightly with her hindlegs, Sarkiphing circled the anomaly. She could not see it any more than Selphgaring or the Humans' aqua-probe could, but she was able to maintain her distance from it by feeling the pull that her fellow Draconian had described. She held a contemplating eye on that area as she orbited. Her other eye remained fixed on her course, making sure that she did not ram the second aqua-probe that the Humans had positioned there to monitor the anomaly.

Sage Vethes had allowed all those who wished to return to the Range since there was not much more that they could do there. She and Verimithes-her older vrot swimming around in search for any more of the anomalies-remained, though, ready to assist in any operation that they or the Humans came up with to retrieve their younger vrot and Audwin from whatever this was that had swallowed them. If such were possible. They did not even know if they were still alive.

She tried to comprehend what it was that had swallowed her younger vrot and their friend. There was something there, but they could not see what it was. The Humans' aqua-probe had ventured into there and disappeared with a brilliant flash, as was recorded by the other Human devices. Selphgaring had confirmed that observation with her own eyes.

The aqua-probe was no longer there, but it had to be somewhere. Where that was, she could not know. It could very well be somewhere far beyond their world, in a place where Audwin had described a vacuum-no air to breathe, far too cold. They would certainly be dead if that was where they were. What they needed was a look on the other side of whatever that was that they could not see.

With a downward thrust of her wings, Sarkiphing propelled herself toward the surface near the Humans' boat. She broke the surface into dusk and turned an eye to find a lone Human looking out over the sea. Concentrating on him, she said, Of something I wish to inquire.

The Human looked down at her with a start. Yes? he replied.

Is there not a way in which you can see what is beyond that anomaly?

The Human took a moment to organize his thoughts. Not that I know of. I've been trying to think of a way But, you saw what happened to the probe. We lost all contact with it the moment it disappeared in that flash.

Sarkiphing considered his answer. I thank you for your assistance, she said before turning about and swam to the shore. She had an idea going through her mind-a very bold idea. The kind of idea that her missing vrot would come up with. On her way to the shore, she considered telling the Sage about her idea. The more traditional part of her told her to not even try-that it was too risky. And, perhaps it was. But, then, lives could be depending on it.

She felt ground beneath her feet and trudged the rest of the way up the shore. Sage Vethes was lying on his belly beside the Command Post that the Humans had set up. Varthnes stood to the opposite side of him.

As she approached, a pair of white lights on her right caught her attention. The lights drew closer and she saw that their source was the Humans' skiff. One of the two occupants she saw in the skiff was the governor. She sensed in his mind that he was bringing news regarding the anomaly and decided to wait until she heard what this news was before making her thought known to the Sage.

When he arrived, Takamura told them what he had learned from Captain Trihard.

Possible, then, is it that Varthikes and Audwin are alive still, Sarkiphing said as soon as the governor stopped speaking. Vethes quickly and privately reprimanded her for the abrupt manner with which she had spoken.

Takamura, however, was unaware of the reprimand that was passed. It is possible, he answered, stressing the conditioning phrase. But, we have no idea where or when.

Whenever and wherever to which that anomaly leads,
Sarkiphing said.

What is it, young Sarkiphing, that you wish to suggest? Vethes asked, speaking so that Takamura could also hear.

Rustling her wings nervously, she spoke the idea that she had been considering, Willing would I be to venture into that anomaly in an effort to retrieve my younger vrot, Varthikes, and our Human friend, Audwin.

In response, Vethes immediately came to all fours with a muttered growl and a wave of astonishment swept over her mind from him. The governor looked uncertainly between the Sage and the adolescent.

You know not what is beyond that anomaly, Vethes said. Very likely is it that no difference would you accomplish regarding the current situation, except that you, too, would join Varthikes and Audwin in being missing from this world.

That was what Sarkiphing's more traditional side had been telling her on her swim back to shore. Even understanding the risk, she said, Still am I willing to proceed with the undertaking.

Vethes spent a moment considering the adolescent's willingness to take on such a dangerous task. As a last resort will we consider your proposal, Sarkiphing. No more lives do I want swallowed by that anomaly-neither Draconian nor Human.

More to come...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

VIII

A
UDWIN SAT on the steps in the Hatching Cavern leading up to the tiers from the sands. F'lessan had just Impressed a young bronze and was on his way out of the cavern, following a blue pairing and being followed by a brown pairing. His attention, though, was on the green passing two other boys and making a beeline toward him on four sturdy legs. As she approached, though, she changed colors-fading blue, brown, bronze, held for a moment at gold, then darkened to the goldish-tan of a Draconian. Her eyes turned from the multifaceted ones of Pernese dragons, whirling with blue and purple, to the golden, single-lensed irises of Draconians. Then, she spoke-by opening her mouth in a Human fashion rather than through telepathy like a normal Draconian or Pernese dragon.

"I am Pathikes, Audwin " she said in a voice that sounded like Menolly's. Then, a ferocious roar drew his attention to the ledges above him where he saw Varthikes. He heard his friend's thought-voice, Audwin. Awake, Audwin. The whole cavern vanished into darkness, leaving him and Varthikes the only ones present in the world. Awake, Audwin, Varthikes said again. For us has the honorable Weyrleaders sent.

Weyrleaders? Draconians don't have Weyrleaders.

Another roar-a really loud one, this time-pierced through Audwin's mind, causing him to snap open his eyes to the morning sunlight. "Wha-wha-wha What happened? What'd I do? I didn't do it!" Looking around frantically, Audwin found himself tucked once again between Varth's head and forearm.

What is it that you did not do? Varthikes asked in a bemused tone.

"What's going on?" he asked his friend.

Informed me has Esoth that the Weyrleaders wish to see us, Varthikes replied.

"Oh Yeah Right " Audwin's mind quickly recalled the previous two days. "We're still on Pern, aren't we?" he asked, wiping sleep from his eyes.

Indeed. You have forgotten? Varthikes asked as he moved his forearm so that Audwin could get up. Audwin did so and stretched his arms, back, and legs, hearing his joints crack.

"Only for a moment. You just woke me up from a really strange dream, that's all. My mind tends to be a little slow after that."

Yes, Varthikes said in strange tone. Your dream I had sensed. He let out a cough-sounding chuckle. Most odd was that hatchling.

"It partly became you even as the real-looking you was on that ledge you were on yesterday during the Hatching." As he spoke, Audwin slipped on his riding clothes. A thought occurred to him-one that comes to him every now and then, but had never found the opportunity to ask.

I, too, had a dream during last sunfall, Varthikes said. He must have sensed the question in Audwin's mind.

"What about?"

Varth looked out from the weyr toward the Hatching Cavern. When he looked back, he said, Perhaps when we are back on Draconia will I tell you.

"Oh That's not fair," Audwin moaned playfully. "You know my dream without me having to tell you while I have not an inkling of what you, a Dragon, dreamed about. I've never heard a Dragon dream before."

There are things worth waiting for, are there not?

Audwin was soon ready and mounted Varth's shoulders. The Draconian leapt from the ledge and glided down to the queen's ledge where Ramoth and Mnementh waited with their riders. A third dragon was present, as well-a brown, which Varthikes recognized as Esoth. The Draconian landed and, after a respectful bow to the bronze and gold dragons, positioned his forearm to allow Audwin easy dismounting.

"Varthikes told me we were sent for," he told them.

"Thank you for coming, Audwin," F'lar said gratefully. Gesturing to the other dragonrider present, he said, "E'war says that the both of you have met."

"That's right," Audwin confirmed, acknowledging the brown rider with a nod.

"He will be your escort to the shore today."

"Thank you, sir, ma'am," he said with a bow of his head to the Weyrleader and Weyrwoman. E'war stepped up to Audwin. "Much thanks, E'war, for being my escort."

My gratitude, as well, to you, E'war, and to Esoth, Varthikes added with a bow of his own.

"I'm just pleased to be of assistance to you two."

As soon as they had each climbed aboard their respective mounts, Esoth leapt off the ledge, followed shortly by Varthikes. E'war would like you to give me the image of where we are going so that we may transfer between, the brown dragon told Varthikes as they passed over the southern rim of the Weyr. I would like you to do so, too.

Not capable am I of transferring
between as you are, Varthikes explained. Not long, however, is the distance to where we first found ourselves.

I will follow you, then,
Esoth said after a brief consultation with his rider.

The two winged giants flew side-by-side along the mountain range with the smaller Varthikes leading the way. Varthikes remembered the formation of the mountain peaks below him where he had turned northward two sunrises ago, before he knew that this was Pern. Varthikes turned eastward when he reached the right point and Esoth turned with him. After that, they reached the shore in no more than ten beats.

Esoth followed Varthikes in a spiral descent. On the way down, Audwin, holding tightly to Varth's neck against the forces that threatened to sweep him off the Draconian's shoulders, looked toward the ground and spotted a black object among the tidal debris. He mentally marked the object's location while Varthikes concentrated on landing.

Here is this where we first found ourselves after the happening, Audwin, Varthikes told him, his eyes scanning the cliff-face up the beach as he lowered to all fours. As soon as Audwin had both feet on the sand, he ran to where he saw the object. He picked up the rubbery-coated device in both hands and started turning it around in examination. Seeing the camera aperture on one end, a propeller on the other, a number of projections and controls along the body, Audwin immediately recognized it as an aqua-probe.

"What is that?" E'war asked, coming up behind him.

"Varthikes!" Audwin called over to his friend, who was already on his way to join him. "Come and see this." He also heard Esoth joining him from the other side. "It's a device that came from our world," he said in answer to E'war's question. "Used to explore and examine the watery depths."

An aqua-probe? Varthikes asked.

Audwin nodded with a smile and met the Draconian eye that was on him. "They're looking for us. Of course, I never doubted that they would."

"It would seem that the way is still open for you to return to your Universe," E'war commented, pleased.

"That's right," Audwin agreed, turning back to the device. "If it was pulled through the anomaly like we were. Our colleagues wouldn't know about the anomaly, and so, wouldn't have expected it."

In this area must the anomaly be for the aqua-probe to have come to be here just as here we had found ourselves two sunrises ago. Varthikes focused both of his eyes on Esoth, who turned to face the Draconian. The Humans watched the telepathic exchange. Audwin glanced at E'war and, seeing the unfocused look in his eyes, realized that he was undoubtedly listening in on the conversation through Esoth. Audwin felt a tad bit jealous of that ability where the Draconian had to be focused on him, or have him included in his focus, in order for him to hear what was being said.

It was only for a moment, though, that Varthikes was speaking with Esoth. He soon turned an eye to Audwin and said, Around the area along this shore has Esoth agreed to assist me in searching for the anomaly.

The two dragons turned and leapt toward the ocean, leaving the two Humans to wait. They entered the water several feet away, bypassing the shallow area. Carefully swim, Esoth, Varthikes advised the bigger brown while they were en route. See you may not that for which we are searching, but certainly will you feel something pulling you perhaps in a direction that you are intending not to go. Swim away as soon as you encounter this pulling and please inform me.

I understand, Varthikes,
Esoth replied. They were in the water now. The currents are flowing from the north and would have pushed you southward. The thing that you search for, therefore, will be in that direction.

I agree,
Varthikes said.

So, they swam northward along the coast, three full-grown blue dragonlengths between them. Esoth kicked back his feet, propelling him forward in the water. He kept his senses alert for this "pull" that the strange dragon Varthikes mentioned. He hoped he had understood that stranger as well as he thought he had. The way he spoke was as strange has his appearance.

Despite his strangeness, however, Esoth had grown to like Varthikes over the last day. He was interesting with some interesting ideas-like scanning the minds of creatures that they ate. The Human he arrived with seemed to be respectable like those he was familiar-

He thought he had briefly felt the pull that Varthikes had described. Esoth turned right and, concentrating his attention on the water around him, felt for the pull again. For moment, he felt nothing except the cool saltwater around him. Then, all of a sudden, he felt something pulling him to the left-and pulling strong. Esoth immediately turned right and kicked his legs and swept his wings through the water as hard as he could. No sooner had he done that, though, that the whatever-it-was lessened its pull and allowed him to escape easily.

After surfacing for a breath, Esoth scanned the water for Varthikes, calling for him to come to where he was.

More to come...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

IX

I
T WAS the second day since Audwin and Varthikes were reported missing. Varthnes flew back to Hatching with the ensign who had volunteered for nightwatch duty and to exchange places with Siephyring. The queen guardian arrived at the Command Post with Ilka on her shoulders. "It is good to see you out here, Ilka," Takamura said as he helped her from Siephyring's shoulder, "Although, I still think that you should have stayed at the colony."

"I want-I need to be here," Ilka maintained as she reached the ground.

Joyful greetings, Ilka, Vethes said. Good is it to see you.

"Likewise, Vethes-honorable Sage Vethes," Ilka replied with a bow of her head.

"Governor," called one of the lieutenants at the gazebo. All turned their attention to the Command Post. Takamura paced briskly to the computer terminal that the lieutenants were monitoring. "Doctor Walstik reports fluctuations in the pressure." On the screen that displayed the data the probe was relaying back to them, Takamura saw the truth in the report.

"The pull on matter in that area is increasing," the doctor reported over the com-link. "Wait It weakened now. Almost no pull at all."

"You are saying the anomaly is no longer there?" Takamura asked, glancing briefly to a frightened Ilka. His question was met with silence from the other end.

What is happening? Sarkiphing's thought-voice asked anxiously. The young queen had joined them at the Post.

"Doctor Walsik, report what is happening," Takamura demanded.

"The readings are normalizing. Returning to what they've been yesterday. I'm not certain what exactly just happened."

"Possibilities?"

Another lengthy silence. "I'm almost afraid to say It could be the anomaly is collapsing, leaving Ambassador McClance and Varthikes wherever whenever they are."

Sarkiphing followed what was being said between the Humans as best she could. But, since they were not focusing on her, she had to rely on what she felt from them. And, what she felt was not good.

She told this to Verimithes, who was standing beside her. I sense from them intense fear regarding the anomaly.

As do I,
Verimithes agreed.

She turned back to the Humans and asked again, this time firmly, What is happening?

The Sage and the clutchmates all had their attentions on the Human governor. He organized his thoughts, took a deep breath, and explained to them what just happened and Doctor Walstik's guess on what it meant.

When he was done, Sarkiphing said nothing else before she turned around and started for the sea. What intention do you have? Verimithes asked.

No more time do we have to find another solution in retrieving Varthikes and Audwin, she hastly explained before leaping into the air. She flew to toward the boat and dove into the area of the sea where she knew the anomaly to be. She swam in a downward spiral toward the aqua-probe's position and past it. She felt a force grabbing her and pulling her faster into whatever it was that awaited her. Until the world flashed all around her

I have found what you are searching for, Esoth told Varthikes as the Draconian joined him. Esoth turned his glowing blue-green eyes toward the area where he had experienced the pull. Varthikes followed his gaze toward an area that was as empty as everywhere else in their immediate vicinity of the ocean while Esoth told him what he experienced just a few moments ago.

It definitely sounded like what he and Audwin experienced when they were pulled into that anomaly. Varthikes searched his memory for any moments in the Pern tellings where a dragon lied, but could not find any. Turning back to Esoth, Varthikes said gratefully, Great thanks, Esoth. Back to our Humans may we go now and inform them. After I mark this area.

I told E'war already, and he told your Human,
Esoth said. You just need to return for him and return to where you both came from.

Correct, Varthikes thought as he swam passed Esoth in a tangent course toward the anomaly. Pernese dragons did not need to be in line-of-sight to communicate telepathically. He scanned the ocean floor below them, taking note of the dune shapes, shells or rocks or plants that stood out. As he did this, something suddenly grabbed him and began pulling him and Esoth inward. Turning their tails behind them, each began kicking frantically at the water. The larger brown had more success than he did-simply winking between to safety. Despite his efforts, Varthikes was pulled closer to the invisible anomaly until everything exploded in white around him

"What the hell came over that Dragon?!" Walstik exclaimed over the com-link as the water began to calm again.

"Wait. What happened?" Lieutenant Drennan asked, watching the probe camera monitor.

"She's still there," Walstik commented. On the screen, Sarkiphing was seen looking about her surroundings, looking a bit disoriented, as she glided through the water there before rising to the surface. "Wait. That's Varthikes!" the scientist exclaimed a moment later. That caught the attentions of everyone. "He's on his way to you."

"Varthikes?" Ilka repeated. "What about-?" She broke off and, with an expression of pain, placed a hand on her swollen belly.

"Ilka?" Takamura approached her in concern and placed a hand on her shoulder.

In pain is she, Sage Vethes informed them, equally concerned. She is about to lay?

"Give birth," Takamura automatically corrected.

That is correct, he said, accepting the amendment. Humans do not lay.

"I I I think I think this is it," Ilka said, gasping.

"Send for Doctor Schmeisser!" Takamura ordered the lieutenants back at the gazebo just as one of the Draconians launched skyward.

For your Healer have I sent Siephyring, Vethes told him.

"Thank you, honorable Sage," Takamura said as he guided Ilka to the sleeping mats that had been placed on the grass the night before at the top of the ten-foot-high cliff that looked over the Command Post.

The whiteness faded around Varthikes and he found himself once again submerged in a body of water-saltwater by the greenish-blue color around him. He looked around, trying to get his bearings. The floor beneath him was different from the one he floated above only a second ago. And, in one direction, he saw one of the Humans' aqua-probes. That sighting encouraged him to the surface.

When he broke into morning, he exchanged the air in his lungs as he looked about. The first thing he saw to his left caused joy to sweep through him. He had previously seen that Human structure-like one of their shuttles, only it moved on water rather than in air or Beyond. A boat, he remembered they were called. And that boat was a structure that Humans made in his Universe. So, at least one attribute of his current whereabouts was right. Now, he must figure out if the place and time were right.

Sarkiphing? he heard a Human thought-voice ask. He had the place, now. And, a rough time-frame. That is, if Draconians will not have left their homeworld in his and his clutchmates' life-span.

He refocused his attention on the Humans on the boat. I am not Sarkiphing. I am Varthikes.

Varthikes!
the Human exclaimed in response.

When and where do I find myself? he asked.

You're on Draconia, the Human answered. In Sunrise Sea. On the Earth date March 19, 2174. You and the ambassador have been missing for a day now, going on two. Sage Vethes and Governor Takamura are on the shore running the operation.

I will then report to them,
Varthikes told the other. He turned about and started swimming toward the shore. He swam as fast as he could until his feet touched the bank where he trudged as fast as he was allowed by the resistance that the water gave him.

He climbed the slope toward the two Draconians near a Human-made structure. Sage Vethes and Verimithes, he identified them. They were on a slope leading to the short cliff that overlooked the structure where two Humans worked. They were focused on something on the ground where the Human governor knelt, back to the sea. That puzzled him. Though, sensing their minds, he found that something was happening involving a Human queen.

One of the Humans at the structure saw him at that point. He looked up the cliff and called toward the Sage, who refocused his attention, first on the Human, then on Varthikes. The Sage called to him as he leapt from the cliff to the sandy beach with a flutter of wings. Verimithes followed behind him. Relieved are we to see you, Varthikes, his vrot told him.

Varthikes executed a quick bow of his head and wings to the Sage. Then, he said to both dracfolk, On another world in another Universe Audwin and I found ourselves.

Where is Ambassador McClance?
Vethes asked.

On the shore he remained while Esoth and I searched the coast for the anomaly that brought us there, Varthikes explained hastily.

Esoth? Vethes and Verimithes asked as one, their heads tilted in a confused expression.

One of the inhabitants of that world, Varthikes clarified. He continued relating to them how he was unexpectedly pulled into the anomaly before he was able to return for Audwin.

Also has such fluctuations been happening with the anomaly here, Vethes told him grimly. He explained what had happened several moments ago-the increased pull followed by a much weaker one.

A similar happening had Esoth described just before I was pulled through, Varthikes replied.

By the Human named Walstik is it believed that the anomaly is collapsing, Vethes explained.

Varthikes fluttered his wings in a gesture of alarm. There's another fluctuation uh, sir, one of the Humans at the structure told them.

I must then immediately return for Audwin.

For you, Varthikes, and Audwin has Sarkiphing gone through just as you emerged,
Verimithes told him. But, Varthikes had already leapt into flight toward the sea.

More to come...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

X

S
ARKIPHING FOUND herself floating in greenish-blue waters. She looked about herself to get her bearings. She caught sight of a large creature behind her some distance away with a blue-yellow point of light for an eye. You are not Varthikes, she heard an unfamiliar thought-voice say. But, you resemble him. Are you from the same place as he?

She came about and started swimming toward the creature. If it was not for that eye, she might have suspected that this was a Draconian with the four legs and those wings. Though, those forearms looked to be a little on the short side From its mind, she sensed a mixture of curiosity and puzzlement regarding her. I am Sarkiphing-Varthikes' clutchmate, she answered the thought-voice uncertainly. Who are you? What are you? Explain, please, how it is that you know of Varthikes.

I am Esoth,
the creature replied. I am a dragon. Varthikes was where you are now. Does this mean that he has now returned to where he came from?

Dragon. That was how many of the Humans referred to Draconians. If here was Varthikes and you know of him, you must, then, know of Audwin. Do you?

You mean the Human he arrived here with?
the other asked.

Sarkiphing affirmed.

He waits with my rider. Follow me.

Sarkiphing followed even as she tried to figure out what this dragon meant by "rider".

Audwin and E'war had settled down against the cliff while their respective partners searched the coast. Audwin stared hard into the sand at his feet. His mind wondered back-and-forth between several different subjects-his dream before Varth woke him that morning, the dream Varth said he would tell him about once they were back on Draconia, the extraordinary happening that brought them here. Mostly, though, he was thinking about Ilka and their daughter that was due soon.

E'war's voice penetrated his deliberations. "You look like you're lost between," he said. He had been examining the aqua-probe and now placed the device between them.

Audwin brought his mind back to the current time and place and turned his attention to the dragonrider. "I'm sorry?"

E'war repeated his observation.

"You could say that," Audwin said with a nod. "At least, my mind is."

"Are you afraid you won't get back?"

"Partly. It's almost time for my wife to give birth to our daughter," he explained. "I want to be there when that happens."

E'war opened his mouth to say something, but snapped his attention toward the ocean. "Esoth says he thinks he's found what Varthikes told him to find," he said. "He found himself being pulled strongly by an invisible force."

"At least it's still there," Audwin commented more to himself.

They rose to their feet and focused their attentions on the ocean, E'war listening for any further reports from Esoth. Sometimes, Audwin wished he and Varth did not need to be within sight of the other to communicate.

A few minutes passed without incident. Then, E'war relayed Esoth's second report. "Varthikes confirms it to be this anomaly of yours. He says he's marking the area. They're being pulled! Harder this time!" E'war met Audwin's eyes, a grim expression on his face. "Varthikes is gone. A creature like him has appeared in his place."

"Another Draconian."

"With an even stranger name: Sarkiphing."

"Sarkiphing? That's Varth's sister!"

"Esoth is bringing her to us."

They did not have to wait long before the two winged creatures emerged from the water. They trudged up the beach toward the position. Audwin! Sarkiphing's thought-voice exclaimed joyously to him as she rose to her hindlegs, still beneath the water surface, assuming the Draconian greeting posture and bugled to him. A great relief is it to find you well! She leaned back on her hindlegs and sprung out of the water into flight.

Esoth responded with a muffled growl at the enormous splash that her initial downstroke caused. She circled once around the brown with one eye on him before continuing toward the Humans. Audwin did not need telepathy to know that something passed between her and the Pernese dragon. He turned to E'war and asked him what Sarkiphing told Esoth. "She apologized for splashing him," he answered with a small smile.

Audwin smiled back and turned to Sarkiphing. "Joyful greetings, Sarkiphing," he said to her, mirroring her joyous tone before, as she landed before him. "Welcome to Pern! This is E'war." Audwin gestured to the man beside him.

"Joyful greetings," E'war said, imitating Audwin. Sarkiphing turned her golden eyes to meet his and bowed her head as she returned the greeting. Then, she turned back to Audwin.

Pern? she repeated, tilting her head in mild confusion. The fictional place about which Varthikes is always telling me?

That's right,
Audwin answered, nodding with a smile.

Interesting. Then, the queen's tone became urgent. We must leave at once, however, friend Audwin. Fluctuations in the anomaly indicate, to Doctor Walstik, that it is beginning to collapse.

"I see " Audwin replied grimly. He turned to E'war, who was communing telepathically with Esoth. The dragonrider saw his expression.

"What is it?"

"Sarkiphing says that the anomaly may be collapsing."

"You better go, then. It was good to have met you, Audwin." E'war offered his hand, which Audwin accepted.

"Likewise, E'war. Stay alert. The same to you, Esoth." Audwin glanced at the whirling blue-green, multifaceted eyes.

"Esoth would like you to say 'good-bye' to Varthikes for him."

"Not a problem. And, I'm sure he would like me to say 'good-bye' to the both of you, as well."

With that, Audwin climbed onto Sarkiphing's shoulder. It was at that point that Audwin suddenly remembered something. "Blast it! I forgot the aqua-probe! E'war, would you mind?"

"Not at all." E'war retrieved the device.

"Only problem I'll probably need both hands to hold on as we go through the anomaly."

I will take the device, Sarkiphing volunteered as she opened her mouth, revealing her array of sharp backward-pointing teeth.

"You won't accidentally swallow it?" E'war asked hesitantly.

Under my tongue will I hold it, Sarkiphing answered, raising her tongue.

E'war looked uncertainly to Audwin, who shrugged and gestured for him to proceed. Once that was done, E'war and Esoth watched them retreat into the ocean.

Sarkiphing swam close to the surface, rising every now and then to allow Audwin refresh his much lesser lung capacity. When they reached the site of the anomaly, Sarkiphing dove to where she had found herself. She swam around, her senses alert for the pull.

She returned to the surface. Confused am I, Audwin, she said, worriedly. In that area I found myself before encountering that dragon. There was where I was when the whiteness faded away.

You said the anomaly was fluctuating,
Audwin recalled.

Correct, Sarkiphing confirmed. The pull first increased sharply before decreasing to almost nonexistent.

Perhaps-hopefully, it's happening again.

I will return.
Sarkiphing gave Audwin time to take a deep breath before submerging once again. As she approached the coordinates again, an invisible forced wrapped around him in a tight grip and pulled them in. Audwin pressed himself against Sarkiphing's neck as best as he could in an effort to hold on, but the pull from the anomaly was too great. He slipped from her neck and was pulled in ahead of her

Siephyring returned to the Command Post with Doctor Schmeisser and a nurse. The nurse had a midwifery-kit across one shoulder. The guardian set down near to where Ilka laid and going into full labor. The doctor and the nurse got right to work while Takamura rejoined the lieutenants at the Command Post.

"Sir, the pull of the anomaly has diminished again," Drennan reported.

"How much?" the governor asked.

"We're barely reading anything now," Farcorn answered. On the camera-view screen, they saw Varthikes swimming around the area, waiting to go through to retrieve his friend.

"Doctor Walstik," Takamura said through the com-link to the chief scientist.

"Yes, sir," the scientist acknowledged.

"Is there a way encourage that anomaly to remain open for a little longer?"

A long, uncertain silence followed from the other end. The governor was about to repeat the question when the scientist replied, "We don't even know what caused it in the fir-we're getting new readings! The pull is increasing again, going beyond previously recorded readings."

On the camera screen, Varthikes shot himself into the anomaly. Around them, the earth trembled and the waves swelled. Humans and Draconians struggled to maintain their balance, the latter spreading their wings to do so.

"We're getting unstable waters here! The anomaly is pulling on the earth now!" Walstik exclaimed.

"The probe is being pulled in!" one of Walstik's men was heard exclaiming.

"Full reverse on its propeller!" Walstik ordered.

"I am! Not working!"

What is happening?
Vethes asked all three Humans at the Post. The trembling earth had him swaying on his feet as he approached.

Takamura told him what Walstik had reported. Then, when he finished, the shaking stopped as abruptly as it had begun.

"We lost the probe again," Drennan said. Takamura turned back to them to see the camera-view screen once again blank with the words "TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED".

"By Faranth What was that?" E'war wanted to know. He and Esoth had continued to watch Sarkiphing and Audwin surface every now and then as they made their way to the anomaly. They submerged one last time before they experienced the same thing as those on Draconia had.

I will see. Esoth launched himself into the air and proceeded in the direction that Sarkiphing and Audwin had taken.

He was well over the ocean when another large winged creature broke the ocean surface and flew in E'war's direction. "Varthikes!" the dragonrider said in surprise. Esoth, come back.

Esoth did so.

Where is Audwin? Varthikes asked the rider as he landed before him.

"Sarkiphing came just as you left. She was returning to the anomaly with him. You didn't see them?"

I did not. Perhaps we missed each other once again.

"You better hurry. Sarkiphing told Audwin that that anomaly is about to close."

As I was also informed. Much thanks for your assistance in this matter, friend E'war. Varthikes bowed his head to the dragonrider. Hopeful am I that it will be possible for us to meet again.

Esoth joined them at that point, and Varthikes turned his two golden eyes to meet the other's whirling blue, multifaceted ones. Much thanks for your assistance, as well, friend Esoth.

Good-bye, Varthikes.

Varthikes turned around and launched himself toward the anomaly. Once well over the ocean, Varthikes dove under. E'war and Esoth did not see him again before he went through the anomaly once again.

One more chapter...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

XI

A
UDWIN, CAME a familiar feminine thought-voice. Can you please remove your right foot from my right nostril so that I am able to breathe easier?

Audwin slowly opened his eyes to mid-morning sunlight. He had to blink several times to adjust his vision. When he did, he found himself staring into a golden eye with a vertical-slit iris that was as big as his head. Then, he realized that he was draped over Sarkiphing's tough, scaly snout with an arm and a leg hanging to either side.

When Sarkiphing's request finally registering in his mind, Audwin clambered off to the left with a hasty, Sorry.

Much thanks,
she said once Audwin touched the sand with both feet and stood on his own.

"Are we back on Draconia?" Audwin asked as he started to look around at his new surroundings. The beach that they were on lead up to a gently sloping hill that was clothed in green vegetation that sprouted flowers of a rainbow of colors.

We are, Sarkiphing answered. Look behind you.

Audwin did. Further up the shore, he saw two Draconians-an older king, Sage Vethes, with the queen guardian-standing beside a gazebo. Under the gazebo, two Earth Union officers and Governor Takamura monitored a couple of computer terminals. On the cliff that rose behind them was a third Draconian-Verimithes-with two more Humans-medical personnel-on their knees bent over something.

Sarkiphing bugled joyously to them as she rose to all fours. Everyone there except the two medical personnel on the cliff turned toward her. Audwin! exclaimed Verimithes' thought-voice. Quickly come! Your stripling is Ilka birthing!

So, that's what occupied the attentions of those two! Audwin broke into a run even as he wondered what Ilka was doing out here. The slope to the cliff-top slowed him down a bit, but he climbed it as quickly as he was able. He stopped and fell to his knees beside his wife opposite of Verimithes and took Ilka's hand into his.

"Audwin," Ilka gasped, her face wet with sweat. "You're alive! You're here!"

"Of course, I am," Audwin chided mildly, catching his breath. "Didn't think I'd miss this, did you?" He turned to the doctor and asked, "How is it?"

"She's fine," Schmeisser answered.

"Ilka or the baby?"

"Both. Ilka's water just broke."

In great pain is Ilka, Verimithes corrected.

"That is normal for a birthing," Schmeisser answered. "Though, we can give her something to ease it." The doctor told the nurse to give her a pain sedative. "Continue to push, Ilka."

"And, remember to breathe," Audwin added.

Normal is such great pain for a Human birthing? Verimithes asked, puzzled.

"That is correct," Schmeisser acknowledged.

"I take it it's not for a queen laying eggs?" Audwin was curious to know.

I would not know, Verimithes answered in a dry humorous tone.
Audwin chuckled at his answer. When he glanced down at Ilka, he saw that she, too, was giggling shakily in response to Verimithes' reply as she prepared herself for another contraction.

Meanwhile, Sarkiphing reported what she had discovered in her exploration of the anomaly. We found, also, the first aqua-probe, which Doctor Walstik deployed, she told the governor at the end of her telling. She opened her mouth to him and lifted her tongue to reveal the device. Please take. When Takamura hesitated, she assured him, You will be not harmed. Takamura finally did so, careful to keep as far from the sharp teeth as possible.

When that was done, Vethes told her that Varthikes had come through to Draconia just as she had gone through to that other world. Of that had Esoth and E'war of that other world informed me. Where is Varthikes now?

To the other world he returned for Ambassador McClance,
Vethes answered. That you had already gone had Verimithes told him, but too focused was he on his intention.

Sarkiphing looked back out to sea in the direction of the anomaly. He, then, is missing once again.

Would this Esoth and E'war not inform him of your departure?
Siephyring asked.

If still they are where they were when I left, possibly is it that they would, Sarkiphing answered. The interaction that I observed between them and Audwin suggested not contempt in any degree.

Varthikes circled the area where he remembered the anomaly was, his eyes scanning floor. The markings there-the rocks, the shells, the sandbanks, the puffs of water plants-were all in the right place. But, the now-familiar pull was absent.

He continued to circle the area, remembering what happened to the anomaly before he passed through on the return trip to Pern. It is believed that the anomaly is collapsing, the Sage's words rang through his mind over and over. With each passing minute, Varthikes grew more and more agitated.

Has the anomaly collapsed completely now? Was he stuck on Pern? What if he was? What would he do? Fighting Thread would be far more dangerous for him, who could not go between to safety, than it was for the Pernese dragons. How would the common Pernese react to him? He doubted that he would be able to stay concealed in a Weyr forever.
Never before had a Draconian even thought of, let alone attempted, living on another world. Would he live successfully without the calaquim, which helped strengthen the Draconian Immune System?

He was coming on his fifteen-minute limit. Soon, he will have to return to the surface for air. He had just kicked toward the surface when he felt the pull return. He forced himself to hold his breath a while longer as he turned about and propelled himself straight toward the source of the pull.

The whiteness dissolved once again into the bluish-green of saltwater. He immediately rose to the surface to relieve his starving lungs. He broke the surface near the Humans' boat.

You're Varthikes? a Human thought-voice asked him anxiously as he exchanged the carbon dioxide for oxygen.

Correct. Sarkiphing and Audwin are here?

They're at the Command Post,
the Human answered him. We'll inform them of your return.

Much thanks.
Varthikes turned about and started for the shore.

Sage Vethes, Sarkiphing, Siephyring, and Governor Takamura all converged on him as he trudged up the beach toward the Command Post.
Welcome back, Varthikes, the governor greeted him.

Pleased am I to be back, honorable governor, he replied with a respectful bow. And that everyone is accounted for. As the governor was called back to the Post, Varthikes turned to his sier and asked, Where is Audwin?

He is up there,
Sarkiphing answered, gesturing with a wing toward the cliff. Varthikes followed her gesture to where the cluster of Humans still worked atop the cliff. Verimithes was with them, as was Audwin, his back to the sea, was with them.

The Human queen?
Varthikes asked.

It is Ilka. Their stripling is she laying.

Birthing,
Vethes corrected her promptly. Humans birth, not lay.

Birthing,
Sarkiphing amended.

With insufficient ground to take off, Varthikes strode up the slope to join them. Relieved greetings, Varthikes, his vrot said distractedly as he came up behind the Human king Healer at Ilka's spread feet.

Joyful returnings, Verimithes, Varthikes replied as he came up behind the Healer, his eyes watching over his shoulder at the tiny, somewhat ugly Human youngling coming out of Ilka headfirst. Blood leaked out of the birth canal onto the ground and smeared over the youngling, who glistened in the sun.

Sarkiphing joined them, and the three clutchmates watched in fascination. They were, Varthikes realized, the first to witness a Human birthing.
The hatchling-birthling-slid out a little more with each muscular contraction. A cord attached to the baby's belly was now visible. The hips slid out, the mammalian anatomy revealing the baby to be a queen, followed by the legs and feet.

Almost immediately, the infant emitted a shrill noise. Varthikes sensed stress from her. He understood why, having been expelled from a warm, dark, comfortable environment into a bright, cool world. What he sensed from her took him back to contrast with the warm Hatching Cavern where he broke out of his egg twenty-one cycles ago.

That infant provoked a feeling of tender affection in Varthikes and his clutchmates. Welcome, birthling, they all said to her in the softest, the most delicate tone they could manage. As if anything more would shatter her to pieces. The shrilling subsided almost instantly as the infant felt the Draconian affection wrapped around her mind in comfort.

Intense joy came over the Humans present-especially with Ilka, who was just as relieved, and Audwin. The Healer held the baby in a cloth and wiped her clean of the blood. Then, the queen Healer handed the king an instrument, which he used to cut the cord. The Healer took another cloth to wrap the baby in and handed her to Audwin.

Audwin held her between him and Ilka. Varthikes studied his two closest friends. They were absorbed in this moment and in their newborn stripling. He turned his eyes on the baby, whose little blue eyes were fixed on him. Audwin noticed that and looked up at the Draconians with a smile. It seems she already likes you and your clutchmates, Uncle Varth, he said.

Varthikes tilted his head in puzzlement. Uncle?

Audwin laughed and explained the meeting of the word. I know we're not vrots by blood, but I feel that our relationship has certainly evolved to that point.

Varthikes considered the Human term and the Audwin's explanation of it. Their relationship certainly had grown beyond friendship in the last cycle. When he and Audwin had first met, Varthikes was honored that the non-Draconian would choose to call him friend-something that no Draconian had called him directly. Now, this same non-Draconian was choosing to see him as a vrot. Truly and greatly honored am I that you should see me that way, Varthikes said emphatically, his gold eyes meeting the other's blue. He sent a wave of gratitude to wash over Audwin. Then, responding to the Human's previous comment, he said, focusing on both Audwin and Ilka, Highly sensitive does the mind of that youngling seem to be to our empathy.

Human babies are generally like that,
Ilka replied. Emotions play a great deal in their development. The same was true with a Draconian youngling, Varthikes knew.

What is she called? Sarkiphing asked.

Amity, Audwin told the three of them and met his mate's eyes. Amity McClance.

Ilka had to stay where she was until her uterus returned to normal size. During that time, Varthikes and his clutchmates readily agreed to stay and watch over her and the newborn, the latter cuddled against her mother's belly.

The governor thanked the honorable Sage for his assistance in the recent crisis before the Draconian departed for the Range. Siephyring flew Doctor Schmeisser and his nurse back to the colony while Audwin helped the governor and the lieutenants dismantle the Command Post.

Later on, Audwin, Takamura, and Walstik met in the governor's office. Audwin delivered a full account of what he and Varthikes encountered. "Incredible," Takamura commented when he finished. "The record that Captain Trihard sent down told us that there have been ships that ended up in different times and places. But, a portal to another world-a fictional world " Takamura shook his head in astonishment. "It is no longer there, is it not?" Takamura asked the chief scientist.

Walstik shook his head. "But, we've placed a sensor beacon in the seabed to monitor the area. In case it should appear again." Audwin thought he looked a little disturbed.

"Is there something wrong?" Takamura saw it, too, apparently.

The scientist looked between Audwin and the governor. "Sarkiphing returned the first aqua-probe that fell through there, as you both know. But, the second one we deployed was also lost."

Audwin suddenly felt unsteady. "Uh, oh " he muttered. Then, he shrugged. "Well, that area of Pern didn't seem to be well traveled."

"What did you say the technological development of Pern was?" Takamura asked.

"Low tech. It's an agrarian world. But, they descended from colonists who came to that world from Earth on starships. They're just starting to re-discover that ancient period in their history." Audwin shook his head. "I don't think the aqua-probe will present a problem to their society. Just another mystery."

"I hope that you are right," Takamura said grimly. "Sage Vethes and I have agreed to put that area under quarantine. No Human or Draconian will be allowed there. And, I want everyone to be alert for any such anomalies in the future and report them immediately."

E'war and Esoth winked in from between over Benden Weyr. Esoth exchanged a greeting bugle with the watch dragon as they began to spiral toward the senior queen's weyr. A day had passed since the strangers had returned to their Universe. E'war and Esoth had been sent out to survey the coast again to make sure no other strangers had appeared in place of them.

E'war glanced down at what he held tightly under one arm while the other held onto the riding straps. It was not the kind of stranger they were sent to watch for, but it was certainly something that should be seen by the weyrleaders. Esoth had already warned them through Ramoth and Mnementh, so they knew he was coming in with something.

They stood waiting for him on their ledge when Esoth finally broke his descent with a down sweep of his wings. He landed softly on the ledge and extended a forearm to allow his rider to dismount. "Ramoth and Mnementh said you found something," Lessa said immediately.

"Indeed, I did," he answered, retrieving the object from under his arm and held it up for their inspection.

F'lar took the device carefully in his hands. "This is the new stranger we have to deal with?" Lessa asked doubtfully.

E'war shook his head. "It came from their Universe. Audwin called it an aqua-probe-used to explore beneath the water surface."

"And, they left it here?" F'lar asked.

Again, E'war shook his head. "I know for a fact that they took that one back." He decided not to tell them exactly how he knew it for a fact. "They must have sent another one. Why, I have no idea."

"You can't send it back?" Lessa asked.

"Esoth searched the area for the pull that Varthikes described to him." E'war shook his head once again. "It wasn't there. Varthikes held out a hope that they may return someday. But, how likely that is " E'war finished with a shrug.

For several minutes, they stood there studying the alien device. In the end, it was decided that they would store the device in the Ancient Rooms in the old passages Jaxom and Felessan had discovered three Turns earlier. Until the day, if such a day was to come, when the strangers returned.

Audwin, Ilka, and Varthikes looked out over the cliff near which the colony had been established, watching the sun set into the west. Varthikes' left eye was on little Amity in Ilka's arms, held with her head on her sam's right shoulder. She was sleeping, but Varthikes still found his mind attracted to her. He found himself feeling oddly protective of that little bundle of life. Perhaps it was the honor that Audwin had bestowed upon him-her uncle. He was not quite sure what that entailed. But, considering the close ties that Human families seem to form, he figured it meant that he would share in the responsibilities of caring for and protecting the youngling. Although, he would do that anyway just as if she were a Draconian youngling.

She is tiny, he told her virsem.

Audwin and Ilka turned to him, glanced at their daughter, then back at the Draconian with a smile. Yes, she is, Audwin agreed.

Always will you be safe, young Amity, as long as I am here, he said to the sleeping infant, touching her young mind with a soft cushion of comfort. Her mind seemed to cling to that comfort.

Varthikes, came Audwin's jovial thought-voice. Varthikes focused an eye on him. Now that we're back on Draconia, what was your dream about?

Ilka looked between the two as he emitted a cough-sounding chuckle. He had been waiting for Audwin to ask about that. I did say, did I not, that I would tell you once we were back on Draconia? My dream was that I had Impressed Path.

The hair strips above Audwin's eyes went up and Varthikes felt from him a spike of surprise. That would have been weird, he commented with a chuckle of his own.

Indeed. Considering, especially, that at full-grown length, I would be bigger.

She would be a fire-lizard to you,
Audwin added.

She would be not that much smaller, Varthikes said, mirroring Audwin's humorous tone. Audwin laughed in response even as he agreed.

THE END