Police

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Police

Post by Meste17 »

What kind of Starfleet vessels would serve as police ships, such as those like the Sirriam from the TNG novel Silent Weapons? Vessels that would serve as Federation Security Agency vessels?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Police

Post by Mikey »

Is everyone on the forum going to receive writing credits?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Mikey wrote:Is everyone on the forum going to receive writing credits?
I would believe so. I just needed a list of classes of Starfleet ships.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Meste17 wrote:
Sarcasm, how thou hast failed me!
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

To me, Starfleet police in space would be short-range vessels that primarily operate in populated systems, with a short dash capability, but low endurance speed. So I'd recommend a corvette sized hull with good scanners to check for contraband, maybe some extra medical capability in case of injury before dedicated medical ships arrive. Prisoner transfer might be another purpose of the police vessels, so instead of having to incarcerate a dangerous criminal at the colony, the prisoner is sent to the maximum security prison at New Zealand.

Starfleet police would likely operate under the Peelian principles.

If you are dealing with crime and it has connections in unpopulated systems, that would be a full Starfleet issue, where the police would transmit the evidence gathered to a nearby Starfleet ship, and ask it for assistance (they are not allowed to order Starfleet ships around). The Starfleet ship would decide to look into that system not because of the police report, but because they haven't done a recent scientific survey of the system (Starfleet does not have to follow police orders, but can do their own missions in their area). By a strange coincidence the Starfleet scientific survey starts on the same body as the one the Starfleet police believe someone is hiding on.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think you are thinking more of a Coast Guard type of role. Small ships that do police planets, rescue civilian ships in trouble and preventing drug running

I can see the Miranda class performing this role. Large enough ship, old borderline obsolete but still useful in this sort of role where 99% of the ships it would encounter would be inferior.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Meste17 wrote:What kind of Starfleet vessels would serve as police ships, such as those like the Sirriam from the TNG novel Silent Weapons? Vessels that would serve as Federation Security Agency vessels?
Something like this?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Okay, so Miranda class vessels mostly, and with 820 ships (at least according to Graham who did the page on the refit Miranda class page) in the class, maybe a somewhat decent number would be transferred over to police forces, maybe 200?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Policing wouldn’t be up to a UFP entity. Since each member world has their own internal codes and customs, police and enforcement would necessarily be done internally by each constituent world. Local interdiction of extra-UFP threats would be handled by Starfleet, using available vessels for emergent threats and ships like the Miranda, Soyuz (q.v.,) and New Orleans.
as Bull offed Custer
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Oh ok so Miranda and Soyuz class vessels in the 23rd century and Miranda and New Orleans classes in the 24th?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:What kind of Starfleet vessels would serve as police ships, such as those like the Sirriam from the TNG novel Silent Weapons? Vessels that would serve as Federation Security Agency vessels?
Something like this?
Hmmm that seems likely
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Mikey wrote:
Meste17 wrote:
Sarcasm, how thou hast failed me!
Hehe sorry :P