Some fanfiction I have been reading....

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Some fanfiction I have been reading....

Post by McAvoy »

Lately I have been on a crossover kick. But first a disclaimer: This isn't a versus fight.

Anyway they are written by the same person. AlbertG on Fanfiction.net. The first one deals with what if the E-D and the E-C from Yesterday's Enterprise gets thrown into the B% universe. It is well written and long and detailed. It deals with the whirlwind of when two ships (with assumed technological superiority) is thrown into the mix at B5. It is a interesting read. The E-D is the more militarized version of our E-D and written well enough for us to see the differences.

The problem is that, he started to add stuff to it. The original concept of having two Star Trek ships in B5 and stirring everything up was enough. But then he added more crap to it. He adds the storyline from another story was writing about Cylons, Borg, Q and so forth, though only briefly. It becomes so cluttered.

The second one is Thin Veneer where Star Trek and B5 are in the same universe but on opposite sides of the galaxy where the Vorlons and the Shadows closed off that section for their own purposes. It's basically during the Minbari War but they managed to go through a wormhole to the other side and the Minbari attack the Federation right at the beginning of Star Trek 6 right before Gorkon's ship is attacked. Thus a war between the Federation, Klingons and the EAS vs. the Minbari. He adds some stuff, but he dives more into the political sides. Some of it is preachy.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: Some fanfiction I have been reading....

Post by shran »

I can get into your reading of it. Also, it is sometimes one-sided in what is told, either very long descriptions of battles, or continuous descriptions of technobabble, or politics rants. It never really interacts. Also, sometimes his phrasing gets a bit repetitive.

"Photon torpedoes were added to the exploding mix of ship debris and energy whirling about in the midst of battle."

Not a verbatime quote or anything, but these kinds of sentences pop up every odd chapter. And it is indeed becoming a bit cluttered. However, it helps when you read his other story arc first, where the Cylons and oBSG wander into the Alpha Quadrant, it kind of shows how it all began.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Some fanfiction I have been reading....

Post by McAvoy »

I honestly just liked the first 'book'. Where it was the E-D and the E-C. Where the two ships were a match for a Shadow Battlecrab and thats it. Later in the stories, both ships along with the others that were built became overpowered. In the first book, the power rating for both ships fit in nicely. Maybe to a B5 fan it might be Trek fanwank but whatever.

In that story, everyone wants Star Trek technology specifically shields. Their presence eventually causes a chain of events where the Shadows defeats the Vorlons. The Minbari are attacked by the Drahk. Centuari attack everyone due to a mad Emperor and EarthForce goes to war with them.

That alone is intriguing.

At least the one with the Minbari War it is straight forward.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"