SG/ST Crossover

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

SG/ST Crossover

Post by JudgeKing »

Disclaimer: I don't own Stargate or Star Trek.

Basically, the plot takes place after Carter becomes head of Atlantis. The Odyssey is almost done being repaired after all of the damge it took in the Ori Home Galaxy. The Odyssey later assigned on recon for any Asuran ships in the galaxy. But en route, it's forced to drop out of hyperspace and ends up in middle of the 3rd Battle of Bajor.

What do you think of the idea?
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Crossovers rock. Especially when the tech is on a similar level. THe only thing I disliked about some of the ST/SW corssovers is the laser issue with SW ships basically causing ZERO damage to ST ships. When a Runabout can destroy a Star Destroyer... it's rather boring.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Eosphoros
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Eosphoros »

I don't want to start a ST vs. SW argument (never really liked them), but if my knowledge of laser principles is correct, SW "lasers" are not really what we know as lasers. For one thing, they're too slow and too visible. I'll stop here.
"How humane humans are is shown by their regard for the mother tongue."
Friedrich Schiller

"Navik on živi ki zgine pošteno."
Fran Krsto Frankapan

"Sors bona, nihil aliud."
Zrinski family motto
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

*Sigh*

1. Stating that Trek ships can block lasers of any power is a "no-limits" fallacy, and a violation of the laws of physics.

2. More importantly:
Posting Rules wrote:No "my sci-fi universe would beat up your sci-fi universe" threads. No matter how well intentioned or reasonable it might start, ultimately no good comes of this.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Thank you for the voice of reason, Seafort.

You can't "turbocharge" a laser to create a "turbolaser" either. Forcing extra air into the combustion chamber is great for IC engines - not so helpful with directed energy weapons.

Crossovers inevitably become fields for people to shout at each other abouut which uni they espouse. Nobody needs that. If you want to post some fic you have regarding your own ideas, put it in the writer's forum and DO NOT solicit opinions on the crossover mechanics themselves.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:2. More importantly:
Posting Rules wrote:No "my sci-fi universe would beat up your sci-fi universe" threads. No matter how well intentioned or reasonable it might start, ultimately no good comes of this.
I was't trying to violate stated rule. I was just saying that in order for crossovers to be fun to read, the universes have to be comparable. You have to basically 100% ignore "cannon" and go with a level playing field. Babylon 5 ships have to be equivalent to SW ships which have to be equivelant to BSG to ST to so-on-and-so-forth.

I have read some crossovers where a couple tie-fighters destroy a Galaxy class... while other corssovers have one Galaxy class destroying multiple Star Destroyers. Neither of those crossovers were really that fun due to the extreme domination of one universe.

All I was suggesting is that the Odyssey would have to be comparable to a Galaxy (or Soverign or whate ever) and NOT to a Runabout for the corssover to be enjoyable.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The problem is that in order to analyse the effects of one universe's ship turning up in another, you have to use the depicted capabilities of the two universes. Take a cross-time event for example. Would you say that a WW2 battleship is as powerful as a Napoleonic 100-gun ship of the line, simply to make a "good" crossover? Good stories aren't about a level technological playing field. If anything, a technological imbalance makes things more interesting, as it allows the author to look at the characters' reactions to that imbalance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree. I'd rather see the heroes respond to a good thumping than be forced to swallow some bit about why the capabilities are equal which deosn't make any sense.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I don't know. Even though I have no love for one st/sw universe over the other... i suppose I would rather see a crossover where a Star Destroyer was more on par with a Borg cube, rather than it be something a Runabout could destroy simply because of the difference between lasers and phasers.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

This is why these crossover discussions inevitably turn into heated arguments. There is nothing wrong with Jim's preference, or mine, but whether or not one appreciates such a scenario is strictly dependent on one's subjective preference for either parity or "realism" if I can use such a term.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:This is why these crossover discussions inevitably turn into heated arguments. There is nothing wrong with Jim's preference, or mine, but whether or not one appreciates such a scenario is strictly dependent on one's subjective preference for either parity or "realism" if I can use such a term.
That is pretty much the reason I would NOT get into a heated argument over it... it would be a argument over the realism of a crossover story between two sci-fi universes. There is absolutely nothing real involved so people can basically do whatever they want.

Did I get angry that a Runabout could destroy a SD, no. Did I get annoyed that I wasted my time reading it, yes. Is it silly for someone to waste their time writing such a boring one-sided story, yes (imo). But they can do whatever they want. I am just not reading anything from their site anymore, no biggie.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A good SW/ST crossover should have them... talking. Forget about the tech. Focus on the inhabitants of the universe themselves. How would Han respond to Data? Have Sisko cook up the Solo/skywalker clan a cajun feast!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:A good SW/ST crossover should have them... talking. Forget about the tech. Focus on the inhabitants of the universe themselves. How would Han respond to Data? Have Sisko cook up the Solo/skywalker clan a cajun feast!
It's for exactly that reason that I think that the Unity saga is the best of the ST/SW fanfics. Indeed, it's on par with some of the best to come out of either universe, and leaves the worst of the Trek and Wars canon far behind. The respective technological and military positions of the Federation and the Empire are merely the background to the real story.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:A good SW/ST crossover should have them... talking. Forget about the tech. Focus on the inhabitants of the universe themselves. How would Han respond to Data? Have Sisko cook up the Solo/skywalker clan a cajun feast!
It's for exactly that reason that I think that the Unity saga is the best of the ST/SW fanfics. Indeed, it's on par with some of the best to come out of either universe, and leaves the worst of the Trek and Wars canon far behind. The respective technological and military positions of the Federation and the Empire are merely the background to the real story.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Thanks for the link, Seafort. Might put my own little crossover to shame there, lol. Hmm, gotta get working on that...