ebook publishing

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

ebook publishing

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just curious, but with people writing stories here has anybody considered publishing their stuff as an ebook?

Amazon, for example, has self publishing. You simply upload your stuff, set a price, fill in some forms regarding how much to charge, how it's paid, etc, and that's it. Your work is available for sale. There's no checking or approval process, like you'd go through with a publisher.

Course you couldn't do it with fanfic based in an existing universe. But for original work, why not?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: ebook publishing

Post by Mikey »

The only downside of which I can think is that you'd have to be pretty damned confident in your linguistic skills to publish without an editor/proofreader. I've seen some professionally proofed works that are full of all manner of grammatical errors; I can only imagine what some self-published works would look like.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'd never consider myself that good, even if I wasn't writing fanfic.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'd never consider myself that good, even if I wasn't writing fanfic.
What good? There are no quality standards, you can publish whatever you want.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'd never consider myself that good, even if I wasn't writing fanfic.
What good? There are no quality standards, you can publish whatever you want.
I don't think he meant "good" referring to the quality of his creative writing as much as "correct" referring to my point about atrocious grammar getting published.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So what if it does have grammar mistakes in it? You can still publish it just the same.

I get that personal pride in not wanting to publish something with mistakes might be an issue. But then, that doesn't stop people putting stuff one here...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:But then, that doesn't stop people putting stuff one here...
Just as well, otherwise Teaos would have left within the first week.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote: putting stuff one here...
Grammatical mistakes or typos... :P

Yes, I know it doesn't stop people. In fact, I even said:
Mikey wrote:I've seen some professionally proofed works that are full of all manner of grammatical errors;
The point I was making, and with which I believe Striker was agreeing, was that conscientious authors would take that fact into account.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I'm talking about both. I do my damned best to proofread my fics, but I know mistakes seep in. Also, I try to maintain or strive for a certain quality of work. And i know what I write at isn't good enough to publish beyond fanfiction.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Do you run your fics past anyone else before putting them up or just proofread them yourself.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'm talking about both. I do my damned best to proofread my fics, but I know mistakes seep in. Also, I try to maintain or strive for a certain quality of work. And i know what I write at isn't good enough to publish beyond fanfiction.
Technically, your writing is a damned sight better than much that gets "professionally" proofed. As far as the quality of your work, it's also better than much that gets published. Further, with the e-publishing that GK mentioned... who cares? Throw it out there and let the public decide!
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:Do you run your fics past anyone else before putting them up or just proofread them yourself.
Most of the time I use spell-check/proofread myself. I use my GI Joe 25th anniversary figures for scene blocking, too. But on some occasions I have them proofread by someone else, usually my friend Kathy from Utah.
Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'm talking about both. I do my damned best to proofread my fics, but I know mistakes seep in. Also, I try to maintain or strive for a certain quality of work. And i know what I write at isn't good enough to publish beyond fanfiction.
Technically, your writing is a damned sight better than much that gets "professionally" proofed. As far as the quality of your work, it's also better than much that gets published. Further, with the e-publishing that GK mentioned... who cares? Throw it out there and let the public decide!
Thanks! :) But beyond the whole 'I've only written fanfic and therefore would get my ass sued' bit I just don't feel comfortable putting it out like that. I have low self-esteem when it comes to my creative endeavors, hence being a feedback junkie and posting surveys at the end of my fics for improvement. It's just... not me. You know?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, your stories are your stories after all, and what you do with them is up to you and what makes you comfortable.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I appreciate that. :) So... which ones have you read? ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Most of what you've put up, though oddly I haven't yet started on the DW fic.
as Bull offed Custer