Granitehewers' Ballad

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Granitehewers' Ballad

Post by Granitehewer »

i was hoping to write a piece of fanfic, with a slight re-envisaging of the star trek universe; with the ferengi being promoted from comedic trolls, to immoral slavers, gunrunners, ruthless narco-barons, savage pirates and sinister bureaucrats, wielding insidious control over economies and ruthlessly exploiting the minor races with embargos and bribes, also being covert backers of corrupt Guls&Glims and propping up the faltering cardassian economy, whilst controlling the yridians and other such information dealers, and curtailing the influence of the Orions, and so maintaining an omniscient monopoly on the underworlds.
The Klingon Empire is ruled by Clone-Emperor Kahless, after Gowron is assassinated by a zealous bodyguards, and as such, the heirs of Quo'nos, seek to regain their heritage as warriors, by embarking on a crusade, against their Romulan foes.
Does this sound alright?
The main focus of the saga, was concerning the Breen Confederacy, emerging from its isolationist cocoon, and attempting to annex the Ferengi Alliance, so as to gain vast reserves of currency, information and influence.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, sounds like it could be good. :D
I'd be interested in reading more.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Go for it grantite, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out. The best that could happen is that it could become a fascinating insite into what TNG+ Trek could have been had the Ferengi been properly drawn up. Are you planning on setting a point of depature from the actual timeline, or just going to go for it with your changes already set up?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Actually you two, i was going to ask us all to have a communal brainstorm, so we all could amalgamate ideas together as a bit of a team effort, i was tempted to have alternate timelines and what ifs, but would rather filter ideas through us all first, as it might be more poignant to have it similar to the established tng except in minor details
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Ideas?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What sort of ideas do you need?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

just things like how you'd rather the trek universe to be, in terms of storylines, politics etc-without me having to read,the forum in its entireity lol
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

In my humble opinion, you have a great idea for what SHOULD have happened if galactic socio-economics were played out to what logically would have happened.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

that NJ charm.........
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You know of my land? New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten?
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

its a lot more exciting than the island of Jersey....wooohoo potatos and ww2 collaboration
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IDK - my own particular town's hsitory is based on a horribly-failed defense of a saltworks and blockhouse during the American Revolution.

Could be worse, though - I once dated a girl descended directly from the Confederate General Pickett - leader of one of the worst defeats in American (or rather, Confederate) military hsitory.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Gettysburg was no reason, not to keep giving her the Andorian twist
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

just things like how you'd rather the trek universe to be, in terms of storylines, politics etc-without me having to read,the forum in its entireity lol
What I'd rather the TNG universe to be, wouldn't even be recognisable as Trek. :P

My opinions on the Federation as a (semi) competant organisation is much the same as how I layed it out in my story. Except, most of the average captains would be far smarter and less naive.
And screw the crappily designed phasers.

As for other races:

Klingons:
Lose the whole 'Vikings in space' angle. Make these guys a credible threat. Give them powerfull weapons, excelent tactics, a ground force that isn't feared because they use swords. Make them aggresive and territorial, with one hell of a superiority complex, perhaps backed up by extreme religous fundamentalism.

Romulans:
These guys would have the least changes. Make them slightly more active in their attempts to sabotage other races endevours. These guys will be using their subtlety to get other races to do their fighting for them. And, again, give them a competant ground force.

Dominion:
Again, just a few changes. Give the Jem'hadar some actual tactics and support units, and you have a lethal, yet completely expendable, army that can replace losses incredibly quickly.
And start rolling the dreadnoughts in as flagships leading battles, not defending some planet.

That's just the main guys for now.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

well the klingons already have quasi fundamentalism with the whole demi-god kahless thing, so really you wouldn't change much about trek, a true devotee of the faith :D