Laithan xenobiology, sociology and history.

Show us your fanfic, original stories, poems, etc
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Laithan xenobiology, sociology and history.

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've made this thread to introduce a new race I'm planning on setting on the Alpha quadrant in an upcoming story, the setting of which is here.
I've got the species pretty much finished, but I'm open to criticism or suggestions. I'm going to post the whole thing in three parts, one dealing with the creatures themselves, one with their history and one with their social structure and system of government. Read on, and let me know what you think.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message transmitted.
Stardate: 77049.13
Recipient: Admiral Jacob Nells, department of inter-species affairs
Author: Carl Remming, captain, USS Valdemar

Laithan xenobiology.

Admiral Nells, as requested in your previous message my crew have compiled all information we have been able to gather on the alien race known as the Laithan. With luck this will further help us to understand this race, and hopefully avoid further incidents such as the unfortunate event on Stardate 77021.85.

Description.
Laithans stand approximately 6'1 high, with a stooped posture. They are six limbed insectoids with a hard, chitinous exoskeleton. Their head is roughly the same size as a human's, in a shape that has been compared to a watermelon (see notation 72, foods) or a rugby ball (see notation 12, old Earth sports). The torso is similar in dimensions to that of most races, although the most noticeable difference is the hard, glistening shell. Attached to the torso are three pairs of limbs. The abdomen is clearly separate from the torso, similar to creatures such as kranas, ants and s'lor'es (see notation 981, other animals). The abdomen contains several organs, as shall be discussed later.

The head
As has already been stated, the head is similar in dimensions to a human's. As with the rest of the creature it is covered by a hard shell (see attached image 1) about a half a centimetre thick. On either side of the skull is a large compound eye, containing approx 28,000 facets. Set in the forehead are three ocelli, similar to the eyes of a cat (see notation 981, other animals). These eyes are thought to be used for focusing on a desired object or person, as the compound eyes seem unlikely to see in colour.
Situated on top of the Laithan's skull are two long, segmented antennae. Approximately 58 centimetres long, these antennae are thought to take the place of a nose, along with the more 'traditional' functions of inect antennae as Laithans have none.
The Laithan mouthparts are surprisingly similar to some Terran insects. Featuring a labrum, which performs the function of the upper lip, two mandibles, performing the function of teeth, the maxillae, a pair of modified limbs which work behind the mandibles and in front of the labium as a pair of accessory jaws, and the labium, serving as a lower lip.
The brain is roughly similar to that of a Romulan's (see notation 69, mental systems), both in size and shape, although it is believed that Laithans are more in control of bodily systems which other races would have working automatically.

The thorax
The thorax, like most other races, contains many of the creature's organs. It is covered by a half a centimetre thick exoskeleton on the chest, and an almost one centimetre thick shell on the back, giving significant protection to the Laithans internal organs.
The thorax is broken down into a series of concave upper and convex lower integumental plates, the whole thing being held together by a tough yet stretchable membrane, and can be easily be broken down into upper, middle and lower sections. Each of these sections contains a pair of limbs
The Laithan nervous system consists of a brain and a pair of slender connectives cords running side-by-side from the brain to the end of the Laithan's abdomen, known as the 'ventral nerve cord'. These connective cords meet at intervals along the insect's body at the ganglia.
Unlike other races the Laithans do not posses lungs, instead they 'breathe' through sets of spiracles located in pairs on either side of the body.
Like Klingons, the Laithan vascular system contains two hearts. The first, located in the upper body section, is roughly the same size of a human's, although in shape it is more similar to that of a Gorn's (see notation 9821, vascular systems). The second 'heart', if it can be termed that, is located on the lower section, just above where the thorax joins the abdomen. It is made up of a complex series of arteries and cardiac muscle, and is unusual in both shape and size (see attached image 2). Both of these hearts pump blood throughout the body, although the failure of one is not lethal to the creature as it can survive on the other one, provided it does not engage in strenuous activities.

The limbs
Laithans have six limbs, two which have developed into legs and four which have developed into arms.
The legs are roughly one metre long at full extension, and ends, unusually, in a hoof, similar to that of a horse or a vornas (see notation 981, other animals).
The arms, like the legs, are about one metre long at full extension, and contains four joints, a shoulder, two 'elbows' and a wrist. These arms end in three-clawed hands, capable of causing severe injury.

The abdomen
Like the thorax, the abdomen is broken down into a series of convex and concave plates, and contains the Laithans digestive and reproductive system. The abdomen is roughly egg-shaped and about two feet long and is usually held off the ground behind the Laithan. Although the creature can quickly swing its abdomen around in a stabbing motion to hit and object in front of it with a retractable barbed sting, about fifteen centimetres long, located about two thirds of the way down. This sting also produces potent venom (see notation 75, neurotoxins) that is reported to be incredibly lethal, killing its victim slowly and with great pain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? (if you read this far! :) )
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Come on people! Some replies would be nice! :P

Anyway, heres the second part. Slightly shorter, and probably easier to read than the more technical last one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message transmitted
Stardate: 77054.61
Recipient(s): Admiral Jacob Nells, department of inter-species affairs
Doctor Alexander Morouri, department of xenobiological studies
Professor Jason Raleigh, head of the Galactic History organisation
Author: Carl Remming, captain, USS Valdemar

Admiral Nells, as requested in your previous message my crew have compiled all information we have been able to gather on the alien race known as the Laithan. With luck this will further help us to understand this race, and hopefully avoid further incidents such as the unfortunate event on Stardate 77021.85.

Part 2, history

Many details of the early history of Laithan society are, sadly, unavailable for obvious reasons. What information we have gathered is mostly a record of civilisations from the industrial era up to the modern day. Clearly such a report would be vast, and unreadable by those with little interest in this fascinating subject. As such, we have given an overall view of this species recent history, from the years shortly before achieving space flight to the modern day.

Space flight
Much like the humans, the Laithan race achieved space flight technology through a cold war, although in the case of the Laithans, there were three 'superpowers' rather than two (see notation 3, Earth history). The three competing powers were Aontas na Sóivéadach, Stáit Aontaithe Mheiriceá and an Tríú Domhan. Our grasp of our language is, unfortunately, still rather poor, so we have yet to come up with a translation of these names. Space flight resulted from this rivalry, the first government to get a ship into orbit of the planet was Stáit Aontaithe Mheiriceá, but Aontas na Sóivéadach would be the first to utilise this technology for exploration, and even set up a colony on the closest planet, Mhairt. This cold war did not end as quickly as the human version, however, and the rivalry between these powers also lead to the discovery of warp drive technology, first pioneered by Tríú Domhan . However, unlike Earth's version, the Laithan cold war turned into a real war. All three of these nations had colonized several nearby planets, and their first world war was also their first inter stellar war.

Enslavement
This war lasted for three years before it was cut short with the arrival of a mutual enemy, an alien race known in Laithan as the leatromach. With their militaries already decimated by their war, the Laithan were powerless to stop the leatromach from conquering them. They were treated brutally and enslaved, becoming little more than property. Although not all of the military had been defeated, elements had fled from the path of the leatromach invasion force and had regrouped. Joining up with forces from another four races which had also been conquered by the leatromach, they launched a counter invasion. Taken completely by surprise, the majority of the leatromach fleet was destroyed while docked for repairs and resupplying. The remaining forces were powerless to stop the rebel armada from sweeping them aside. However, the Laithan were determined not to leave anyone alive that could oppose them, as such the Laithan forces turned on the other rebel fleets, destroying them in a mass surprise attack.
The Laithan forces then finished the war by bombarding the leatromach homeworld from orbit, exterminating their oppressor's species. After this, the Laithan government reformed as one unified group, the Laithan Imperium.

The Laithan Imperium
This new empire took up the reigns of the Leatromach Empire, from an outsider's point of view nothing would have changed except for the name and the people calling the shots. Indeed, for many of the races which had fought alongside the Laithan, nothing did change. Although that may not have been completely true, although they did not gain the independence they were seeking, the work they had been doing became harder and punishment more brutal. Using mass slave labour, the Laithan Imperium built up a massive military force to terrorize the local sectors with.
They were not as successful in their policy of 'rule through fear' as they would have liked, in 2377 the slave races of the Imperium attempted to gain freedom from their new oppressors. Mostly through peaceful demonstrations, they attempted to reason with the Laithan that their practice of slavery was hypocritical and immoral.
In a way, they got their message through; in 2379 the Laithan Senate made slavery illegal. Three days later the Laithan Imperium committed mass genocide; all seven former slave races were wiped out of existence by the Laithan military.
Over the next two decades the Laithan Imperium expanded rapidly, many of their foes and rivals underestimated them; their weapons, appearing crude and primitive at first glance, were highly effective in combat. Their borders grew by almost five times its original size, and they had soon gained a stranglehold over a vast are of the Beta Quadrant. As they made slavery illegal, races they had beaten were forced to become vassal states, slaves in everything but name, or be exterminated down to the last man, woman and child.

Lately, the Laithan borders have expanded into contact with the Klingon Empire's. Given their previous aggressive activities, it seems likely that the Laithan Imperium may be arming for war yet again. As current diplomatic relations in the Alpha Quadrant remain volatile, it is unlikely the Empire would either request or accept support from the Federation or any other powers. From previous Laithan strategies we estimate that they will pursue a 'divide and conquer' style of war; attacking the local governments one by one until we have all been defeated.

Hopefully this information will be of some use, and maybe even sway the minds of some of the more anti-military politicians into realising that there is an immediate threat, and that disarming now could be the last mistake the Federation ever makes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts?

And yes, I know I was unimaginative with the names, I ran out of ideas. :)
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sounds like a nasty bunch of people!

I like it, a nicely detailed history there. The one thing that didn't quite ring true is the idea that the Klingons won't ask for help from the Federation. We've seen that they are perfectly willing to request military aid in the past, and that's only going to be more so after the Dominion war since they now surely have a higher respect for Federation military capability, "shared blood", etc.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thanks, I was trying to make a race that is rather unpleasant.

As for the Klingons, you are right that as of 'now' in the Trek timeline they would likely ask for help. However, this setting is in the 2400's which things in the AQ have taken a rather unfortunate turn of events (I think I put a link in the second post which leads to the over view of the AQ as of this story).
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Rochey, you have a flair for the imagination and the linguistic cohesion to turn thoughts into real worlds, its exciting stuff, and i'm keen to devour every scrap as it progresses, personally, i'm a naive old fart,that likes a happy future with a happy ending
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thank you! This is actually my first attempt at anything, although I've been prompted to write something for ages now by my rather over active imagination.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Back again with the third (and probably last) part of info of my new species. Again, let me know what you think. And yes, I couldn't think up any original names, so sue me. :P
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message transmitted
Stardate: 77062.81
Recipient(s): Admiral Jacob Nells, department of inter-species affairs
Author: Author: Carl Remming, captain, USS Valdemar

Part 3, Governmental structures of the Laithan Imperium

Government
Despite its name, the Laithan Imperium is actually a democratic nation. The president (Uachtarran) is chosen once every five years by a highly efficient voting process. There is no limit on how many people can run for the position of president, although most candidates are usually the head of a political party, again with no limit on numbers. The number of political parties is currently thirty two. These parties all represent various different policies; they range from fanatical right wing groups to highly liberal parties.
The president chooses twelve members of his party to function as a cabinet (comh-aireacht ) of advisors. The president is a highly powerful individual; all new laws must be approved by him, although he cannot bring new laws into existence on his own, and he functions as the commander in chief of the Laithan military.
Despite this power, he or she is completely dependant on public support; an unpopular president will quickly lose support from the senate and other political groups. Several systems are also in place which prevents the president from seizing control of the government, as has happened several times among other races, most notably Earth (see notation 711, the reign of Adolf Hitler 1933-1945, and notation 712, the reign of Emperor Bush 2001-2028).

The senate (seanead) is composed of 100 individuals. These will all be representatives of various political parties, meaning that there will nearly always be some opposition to proposals. Senators are elected every ten years; each party will win a number of seats in the senate, and appoint representatives to fill them. The senate is the most powerful political entity in the Imperium, it has the ability to create laws (although all laws must be ratified by a majority in the senate, and a 2/3 majority in the Dáil Impireacht) and can authorize the mobilization of the military, and even the extermination of a sentient species.

The Assembly of Empire (Dáil Impireacht) is the other government administration. It consists of five hundred representatives from every 'sector' (teascóg) in the Imperium (note: the Imperium does not define sectors in the same way as the Federation, the Laithan define 'sector' as an are of space containing ~150 systems-Remming). Each representative serves for five years and belongs to the leading political party of that sector. All laws must be ratified by a 2/3 majority before being passed into being.

Each planet, system and sector all have what are basically scaled down versions of this system, with their own political parties and 'senators', with the governor taking the place of the president.

Admiral, this concludes our analysis of the Laithan Imperium. Attempts to engage in diplomatic talks have, so far, failed. However, we shall endeavour to secede in finding a peaceful means of co existence, I feel it is my duty to warn you, however, that I find it unlikely we shall ever find peace with this race, and the prospect of war is drawing ever nearer.

Message ends.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

How do the laithans define 'sector'?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That was actually a slip up on my part. When I was writing that part I couldn't remember how the Federation defined sectors, so I put that in as a place holder, intending to go back over it and edit it in. It seems I forgot all about finding out the Trek definition of 'sector'.
If anyone has it handy it would be much aprecieated.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, so after a look around I've been unable to find info on the Trek difinition of 'sector'. As such, I'm simply putting the Laithan term as around 150 systems as this goes well with the size of their empire.
I'll edit part 3 to include that.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I like it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thank you. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

the reign of Emperor Bush 2001-2028).
:lol:

Lets hope your wrong.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, I threw together a quick write up on the Laithan Stellar Navy. Its rather basic, and just gives a rundown of the types of weapons used and general tactics along with an estimation of Latihan military strength.

I have one almost done on the ground forces. I'll throw that up here tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message transmitted
Stardate: 77089.1
Recipient(s): Fleet-Admiral Cian mcDonagh, head of Internal Security Department
Author: -
Sir, I am transmitting to you a copy of an unauthorised transmission anonymously. The intended recipients of this document are unknown, as is the author, although there is a possibility this document came from something referred to as 'Infiltrator' mentioned at the start of this transmission. What this actually is is unknown to myself or my colleagues, but it is our hope that you may be able to do more with this document than we could.

Message transmitted
Stardate: 77082.42
Recipient(s): Classified
Author: Classified

Admiral, as requested we have begun compiling information on the Laithan military forces and of the Imperium itself. Much of this information has been gathered through intercepted communications, or through the Infiltrator and can be relied on as firm evidence.

The size of the Imperium:
This was one of our easiest assignments, intercepting government broadcasts and accessing public information systems yielded a great deal of information about the size of this empire.
The Laithan Imperium is believed to span a massive area of space throughout the reaches of the Beta Quadrant. From what we have been able to gather, we can safely estimate that the Imperium contains no less than fifty thousand inhabited systems. Many of these worlds (estimated at around 50-70%) are heavily populated, with at least one billion inhabitants. The Laithan Imperium is heavily industrialised, most inhabited planets will have some sort of orbital construction yard. This naturally leads to a large amount of starships available, many to the public and civilian corporations but at quite a cost. Although the very fact that the ability to own an interstellar vessel at all says quite a lot about their economy and ship building facilities.

The Laithan Stellar Navy
The Laithan Stellar Navy is the interstellar military branch of the Laithan Imperium. Although this information is based on government statements, public information, and estimations, we believe the LSN to be quite an extensive organisation. Unlike Starfleet, it does not burden itself with scientific missions or other non-military endeavours; instead the LSN is completely dedicated to war and defence. Current estimates put the likely size of the Navy at around one hundred thousand vessels, far exceeding the Dominion fleet which the Federation was barely able to defeat.
Laithan ships are less sophisticated than those of other races we have encountered, the Laithans seem to prefer using the simplest solution to any obstacle rather than the most advanced one.
As such, Laithan weapons are superficially primitive, resembling ancient projectile weapons more than anything. These weapons should not be underestimated, however, as their yield is surprisingly large. Laithan cannons are capable of firing a wide variety of ammunition. The most common of which are High Explosive and Armour Piercing shells. Although shells used for disrupting shields have also bee sighted. It is believed the accuracy of these weapons is low. Other weapons include missile launchers, firing fast and manoeuvrable warheads. Flak guns, capable of throwing up an impressive wall of firepower at any approaching ships. Chain guns, we believe these are used as point defence against light vessels, and large radiological torpedo launchers. These torpedoes are incredibly powerful, but slow and easy to target.
Laithan ships are large and bulky, making them slower at warp than vessels used by the Federation, this gives Starfleet one advantage, at least. Their impulse engines are also inferior to those of Federation design, meaning the Laithan ships generally sport large engines. The size of these engines allows Laithan ships to keep pace with most Federation vessels, although they are far less manoeuvrable.
Laithan shields are stronger on average than Federation shields, though they are far less adaptable to circumstances. This is one weakness we advise research into with all due haste.
Laithan vessels also do not have external bridges, they are commanded from an armoured control centre in the centre of the ship, giving the command crew excellent protection.

Naval tactics centre around staying at long range and hitting an opponent with a massive amount of missiles, torpedoes, and heavy cannon rounds. Any ship that attempts to close with a Laithan vessel would be immediately bombarded with shorter ranged weapons, increasing the damage dealt, although lessening the threat of the un-manoeuvrable torpedoes.
If a section of the shield fails, all weapons on that facing will generally be turned to 'Flak Mode' and begin firing indiscriminately to throw up a wall of fire which can interfere with phasers and detonate photon torpedoes prematurely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not my best, IMO. But I mostly just threw something together to give people reading my story an overview of the forces of the bad guys.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Very interesting - the mention of flak barriers as a form of defence conjures images of nBSG. Regarding population, do the Laithans have any Coruscant-esque city planets?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.